Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroquest boardgame and why it's so great

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Orc bard at 3 million, eh? As much as I like the idea it doesn't really fit with Heroquest's sword and sorcery theme that well. Especially since (Judging by the mini and bit of art) it looks like they're going more for an "Entertainer" bard rather than "Greasy rogue that hides his sleeze behind entertainment" bard. Heroquest isn't grimdark or anything, but it doesn't feel appropriate for the first kind of bard. It's a dungeon crawling game with almost no action between dungeons, even Warhammer Quest had more going on in towns and while traveling. A slimy thief that uses the title of bard as an excuse for his wandering feels like it would slot better into a dungeon crawl, but I'm nitpicking just on one model mockup so eh.

Stretch goals aren't super exciting I gotta say. Extra minis are always nice (Although the only mini that bit the dust in my Heroquest was the elf. Knocked off the table and then stepped on when a friend was getting out of his chair to pick it up. RIP elf) but not all that thrilling, and quest books are cool but you'd need a pretty fucking hardcore group of Heroquest fans to want to get through all the dungeons anyway.

"Oh no I dropped the mini, better stomp around a bit to find it"
That reeks of Elven hate crime to me.

Norfleet

They are dark skinned because they live underground and never see the sun...
I'm not sure if that's how it works
Technically, white people weren't invented until grain-based agriculture became widespread in the area. If you eat MEAT, you don't need to acquire your vitamination through exposure to the accursed daystar, so people remained brown right up until they took to agriculture some 6000 years ago.

Since the evolutionary and civilizational path of dwarves is undefined and unknown, we don't really know whether dwarves should or should not be brown. Some of the older source material for dwarves, however, refers to them as "svartalfar", "black elf", which would suggest a swarthy look that makes depicting them as brown justifiable.

grimace

Arcane
And... it"s back, kind of...
https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us

That is, if it passes the 1.000.000$ "not-kickstarter" on Hasbro site (and it seems to be for Canada and US only).
https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

HEROIC-TIER-IMAGE_1440x.png

They also removed everything Warhammer in the references, but heh, the Old world doesn't exist anymore, and I'm glad it is not set in AoS!
There is no mention of the game system at all. I am a bit worried of having the move dice back :D

". . . the project will begin shipping around Fall 2021."

https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us

We still have a few months before we watch unboxing videos.

Here's an update on the Bard.

"Bard Playtest" by Doug Hopkins
10/19/2020

6e4e64a7274d147aec48ee4ea0fdf4c2.jpg

The inspiration for this Bard was a swashbuckling orc hero. A team player who will propel the other players to victory. As with the Warlock and Druid, there is a condition that will allow you to recover a spell –Inspiring Tale for the Bard – that you have already cast.

You are the Bard. Your spirit and songs inspire and invigorate your allies. You prefer to stay light on your feet so when you are wearing non-metallic armor and carrying no shield you have 1 extra Defend die.

The Bard’s statistics and equipment are comparable to those of the Elf. While the Barbarian, Elf, and Dwarf might end up with plate mail and shields later in the game that doesn’t feel right for our Bard. I wanted to incentivize the Bard to follow a different route.

The Bard’s Unique Weapon

Rapier

This long slender sword allows you to roll 2 Attack dice and may be used to attack diagonally. May not be used by the wizard. 250 gold coins

This weapon allows our Bard to attack diagonally from the start of the game. For me this highlights the character’s resourcefulness and allows them to contribute in battle in a crafty manner.

The Bard’s three spells:

Inspiring Tale

This spell may be cast on any one Hero, excluding yourself. The next time that Hero attacks, they may roll one extra combat die. Regain this spell when any Hero you can “see,” excluding yourself, rolls two white shields when rolling Defend dice.

HealingSong

You and each hero you can “see” each restore up to two Body points that have been lost but does not give a hero more than their starting number.

Lullaby

This spell puts one enemy into a deep sleep so they cannot move, attack, or defend themselves. The spell can be broken at once or on a future turn by the enemy rolling one red die for each of their Mind points. If a 6 is rolled the spell is broken. May not be used against Mummies, Zombies, or Skeletons.

The Bard’s spells focus on helping the other players. I particularly like Inspiring Tale as it assists another player but when they have a spectacular moment on defense it’s the Bard who is moved to tell the tale (and regain the spell).

https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us/article/heroquest_bard_playtest

Luzur

Good Sir
Uh....so is it good? i still have the original big box so i dont need it but its always nice to see a new version.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I wanted this as a kid but they didn't carry it at our local Wal-Mart. I think they bought me Clue JR. instead.

dacencora

Holy shit! Guys, looking at this cover, I think this is that one board game that I played at my cousin's house once upon a time. I always wanted to play more and I've been trying to figure out what the game is forever. Did the OG game come with character sheets? I vaguely remember something like that.

EDIT: Yep, it's like unlocking memories lol. This is the game!
pic338416.jpg

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Dragonstrike isnt even good, though, like literally there are better games than it

Generic-Giant-Spider

Sounds like something someone scared of manscorpions and dangers behind every door would say.

Now grab a goddamn seat and humor me.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what other games are there like this of similar scope and available for purchase in Anno Domini 2021?

And affordable to third worlders

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So what other games are there like this of similar scope and available for purchase in Anno Domini 2021?

And affordable to third worlders

A 3D resin printer, miniature files, and any rules you want. The 3d printer will give you the flexibility to print anything that you can think of and fits on the build plate.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
any rules you want
Uh got any suggestions?
Basically looking for a game I can use as a prelude to DnD and other stuff.

Hero System 5th or 6th Edition will let you run any genre you want. Fantasy Hero plays a lot differently then any iterations of D&D. Instead of classes you have package deals to build characters with. The package deals can be racial and professional at the same time. Fantasy Hero supplement has mass combat rules that go from squad size up to corps.

It also is very miniature friendly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom