Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie It's time for something truly obscure...

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Started a new old rpg. Looking good, once you find the way to leave the first location - lack of any walkthroughs or tips on the web is a bitch, especially when it comes to this game.

Now the question is: what's the title? A couple of hints below.
fYeaVfS.png

5sAPj9K.png

4761HQB.png

c26wDk9.png

H2UOSSt.png

pgQg8Tb.png

pdpupDe.png

obzt8WK.png

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Omega Syndrome! I just recently remembered about it. By the way, how buggy it is?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Hell. You guys are too good for this kind of puzzles. I have to try harder.

Last screenshot looks like a Baldur's Gate 1 area. lol

Yes! Actually the river is animated in a very similar way, with two or three frames.

Omega Syndrome! I just recently remembered about it. By the way, how buggy it is?

It's ok for most of the time. The biggest problem I had was that the alt button (used for highlighting interactive elements in your vicinity) caused constant ctds in one specific location.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Lord_Potato, can you be a bro, and please post the link where you got Omega Syndrome? Was looking for something to play and this is it.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel like this isn't really a challenge if you saw the original topic...
Lord_Potato, can you be a bro, and please post the link where you got Omega Syndrome? Was looking for something to play and this is it.

Someone on the Codex found it a while ago, and then I uploaded it onto my Mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hf2ooghrfdl19qi/Omega_Syndrome%2C_The.rar/file
This version doesn't require any fiddling, right? I remember there was some trouble with patches and getting it to run.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as I remember the developer of this game was also quite active poster on the codex for quite long time. It's hardly an obscure game for codexers.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
As far as I remember the developer of this game was also quite active poster on the codex for quite long time. It's hardly an obscure game for codexers.

Years ago. It is impossible to buy it anywhere, the dev himself no longer has his own copy. I guess many Codexers nowadays don't know much about it, although a working version was recently made available on this very site.

Anyway, I hope to spread the word and remind/inform people of this title. After 4 hours I can say it's at least decent and a closest thing to Fallout we had before 2018 (when Atom came to town).

vota DC

Augur
Impale and pierce have a different armor resistence? Aren't the same type of attack? Unless impale Is really sticking a pole in the ass?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But is it any good, IOW is it A Real CRPG™®?

It has character creation and development (very similar to Fallout, attributes are the same, perks almost copied 1:1, skills similar, but more numerous).

It has different ways to solve some quests via skills. Even some companions are only available via successful skill checks.

It has turn-based combat, again very similar to Fallout.

It's certainly more linear, but still a rpg.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Impale and pierce have a different armor resistence? Aren't the same type of attack? Unless impale Is really sticking a pole in the ass?

Impale damage is caused by pointy melee weapons. Pierce damage by bullets.

Basically protection against knives and guns, respectively.

Sure it could be worded better.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
It starts really well, very similar to Fallout (in both character development and exploration) but gets old really fast. Too many similar encounters and too few maps. Given the size of the development team it's still an impressive effort. Worth a try, you may like it more than I, but don't hold your breath.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It starts really well, very similar to Fallout (in both character development and exploration) but gets old really fast. Too many similar encounters and too few maps. Given the size of the development team it's still an impressive effort. Worth a try, you may like it more than I, but don't hold your breath.

It's a cool novelty thanks to the setting but it does get old after a while due to the low amount of maps and samey encounters. Also the non-combat skills are kinda half-assed. The only use of dialog skills is to skip a step in a quest chain.

The weirdest thing is how between the earlier version that was uploaded by Scarlet Lilith before the newest version popped up, and the newest version, the dev removed full party control and the option to switch between RTwP and turn based. I guess that was done in order to make it more like Fallout... but removing features out of cargo-cultism is kinda bad, especially since party control would have made the combat somewhat more fun.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So far the only problem I have is too frequent random encounters on the citymap. Some of them warrant an instant quickload. I do not know how the developper imagined anyone could play Omega Syndrome on ironman. You are regularly outmatched by the random monsters you meet on the streets of Idyll.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, I'm starting to see some bugs.

After a visit to the town museum one of my party members kept disappearing without any good reason. When visiting next location he simply was not there. The only way to "save" him was telling him he's no longer needed in the party and that he should go to the bar. When I visit the bar later, he's there, waiting to join the crew again. However, if I take him, he'll disappear again. Quite iritating. It's a good thing there are no critical party members (at least it does not seem so).

Also, there are some ctds, more frequent on certain maps (like the MIB facility).

What I like are the text adventures you get when traveliing via town. They are scenarios that offer you several choices and then test some skills or attributes to check if you succeeded (failure usually means gruesome death). Those events are a nice change of pace to the usual combat heavy encounters.

Codex Year of the Donut

After a visit to the town museum one of my party members kept disappearing without any good reason. When visiting next location he simply was not there. The only way to "save" him was telling him he's no longer needed in the party and that he should go to the bar. When I visit the bar later, he's there, waiting to join the crew again. However, if I take him, he'll disappear again. Quite iritating. It's a good thing there are no critical party members (at least it does not seem so).

Also, there are some ctds, more frequent on certain maps (like the MIB facility).

What I like are the text adventures you get when traveliing via town. They are scenarios that offer you several choices and then test some skills or attributes to check if you succeeded (failure usually means gruesome death). Those events are a nice change of pace to the usual combat heavy encounters.
do you have the 3.42 patch installed?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

do you have the 3.42 patch installed?

Why? Is this patch supposed to remove some of the bugs I mentioned? Because I installed it before starting the playthrough.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And I am done. Omega Syndrome is beaten.

It was quite hard in the end. The enemy squads in the final location were tough... I'm almost sure it's impossible to beat it on Ironman, the RNG simply fucked me too many times. Wearing best armor and having 68 hps was no protection against smgs dealing 50-200 damage with a single burst. Finally, most of those hard battles were avoidable (many paths you can take), and the ones that were not - I soldiered through thanks to savescumming. There was simply no other way. Fighting in narrow corridors, were you have nowhere to hide from enemy fire was not a matter of tactics, but of attrition and sheer luck.

Anyway, despite the high difficulty curve, the game was quite short. The campaign took me about 15 hours, I reached level 8 (which is the equivalent of level 8 in the first Fallout, even the number of exp you need to reach respective levels were copied from this game). Propably I could grind one more, making the end a bit easier, but there was really no reason to do so.

My final character (you can change his name at character creation, but "Max Power" was so tongue-in-cheek I decided to roll with it):
z9ClNK3.png

I decided to tag pistols, diplomacy and lockpick. Pistols were ok. While smgs and rifles deal more damage and have burst fire, pistols is the skill used to operate alien weaponry: reptoid heat rays. And they can deal massive critical damage. Diplomacy helped me to solve some conflicts with npcs and get better deals when I had to pay for aid. Lockpick was useful only several times. I invested almost nothing in mechanic, but there was no need. The final, game-ending skill check was mechanic and I passed it on first try with 30%. Didn't even had to use explosives I spent a lot of time to acquire.

All in all, Omega Syndrome was a fun little game, a very impressive effort of a one man studio. Not very replayable though. I'll write more if I decide to submit a review. Those things require quite a lot of work to do, but I believe RPG Codex should have one. If not here, then where? It's exactly a rough gem Codex enjoys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom