Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Edit: Which made me think that color skin should be an extension of character's cultural background, not just the paint job.

If anything from modern dnd, race is already serve as cultural background equivalent for different color skin from our world.

Mortmal

Arcane
onyl a nazi would make a human white male character
i hope you all get tagged and your identity sent to various anti fascist groups
also hope they come to your home and force you to go through act1 kneeling on corn
Shhh.. dont give them ideas they will deport us again in general discussion for that.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Edit: Which made me think that color skin should be an extension of character's cultural background, not just the paint job.

If anything from modern dnd, race is already serve as cultural background equivalent for different color skin from our world.
You don't say...

qKHj66Y.png

Codex Year of the Donut

Block by this faggot on twitter; never interacted with him. Anyone else blocked?
A lot of these people use 3rd party block lists. Follow a “racist” on Twitter? You’re blocked.

That’s why whenever I make a new troll account, I try to only follow liberals, journos and mainstream media like CNN.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Block by this faggot on twitter; never interacted with him. Anyone else blocked?
A lot of these people use 3rd party block lists. Follow a “racist” on Twitter? You’re blocked.

That’s why whenever I make a new troll account, I try to only follow liberals, journos and mainstream media like CNN.
Are all of the writers on this game social justice retards?

Shrimp

Arbiter
Wait, so you can't remove the tadpole at all in Act 1?

lol, everything was a false choice all along.

:deathclaw:
Halsin can do it? No.
Volo? Yes. Let him do his surgery.
I think the Hag in the swamp can allegedly do it, but there is a heavy penalty for having it removed.
The hag will agree to attempt to remove the tadpole in exchange for borrowing one of your eyes. It gives you a permanent status effect that causes you to be unable to land critical hits. Once she discovers the tadpole has been tempered with she refuses to continue the operation and promptly leaves.
Interestingly enough picking this option also seems to prevent you from having Volo remove it. When I tried it with my CHARNAME I only had the options to decline as well as a placeholder [] tag stating that I didn't want to risk another eye.
I didn't try talking with him with any of the companions so I don't know if the removal process requires anything further than that, I just know it wasn't available to me.
I suspect that choosing whether or not you intend to keep it will play a significant part in the story later on in the game. There's no way it only exists just for the sake of providing [ILLITHID] dialogue options.

Went ahead and saved the Druids because it seemed easier. Still took forever.

Afterward elf Trump got murdered by the mother of that thief who got herself killed. Sad. Elf Trump did nothing wrong.

Also, an insight roll for

seeing if Shadowheart enjoyed your night together

Larian, you madmen! :lol:

Seriously, great job by the team at Larian on 90% of this game. I wish you wouldn’t shoehorn in your leftism like cultists, but at least you haven’t ruined the game with it.

So many stat checks, so many choices with consequences. You can even raise the spirits of the dead and speak with them like in Arcanum.

The game has clearly been crafted not merely to recreate Baldur’s Gate for a modern audience, but to reattempt the vision of Baldur’s Gate - a PnP experience played on the PC. And in this way, it actually often surpasses the original BG.

I won’t compare its story or characters to BG, mind you. In some ways, it’s superior and in others inferior, but I will say that the combat has consistently been engaging and that’s more than can be said for most of the trash mob fights in other DnD games like NWN.

I spent about 20 hours all said and done and I’ve only popped my head in the underdark briefly. There still feels like there’s a lot more to the game, but it seems impossible to me because I’ve already gone through so much of the content.

Well worth my purchase, even in early access.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halsin can do it? No.
I think the Hag in the swamp can allegedly do it, but there is a heavy penalty for having it removed.
The hag will agree to attempt to remove the tadpole in exchange for borrowing one of your eyes. It gives you a permanent status effect that causes you to be unable to land critical hits. Once she discovers the tadpole has been tempered with she refuses to continue the operation and promptly leaves.
Interestingly enough picking this option also seems to prevent you from having Volo remove it. When I tried it with my CHARNAME I only had the options to decline as well as a placeholder [] tag stating that I didn't want to risk another eye.
I didn't try talking with him with any of the companions so I don't know if the removal process requires anything further than that, I just know it wasn't available to me.
I suspect that choosing whether or not you intend to keep it will play a significant part in the story later on in the game. There's no way it only exists just for the sake of providing [ILLITHID] dialogue options.
From what I can tell, based on the speak to the dead ritual the goblins perform on the Illithid, the tadpoles are 100% controlled by the Illithid themselves. The Absolute is short for Absolute Power and implies that the Illithid are trying to use this cult to take over the world, or at least the Sword Coast.

With that in mind, I would think removing the tadpoles would be a very good idea.

And as for the powers it provides you with, we’ll see, but it wouldn’t be the first Baldur’s Gate game to give you powers and then take them away later.

Also, FYI on romance:

It seems like you get a chance to bone all the companions at/near the end of act 1. Maybe you need the points to do it, not sure.

But Astarion made a (slightly drunken) pass at my male character without my ever flirting with him.

And the Gith seemed extremely pissy that I wanted to sleep with Shadowheart and not her and basically said she would screw Astarion out of spite.

These are all evil characters though, they tend to move pretty quickly and directly.

I didn’t bother talking to the black guy, whom I never even really let join me, or the Wizard, as I killed him the moment I met him.

Erikkolai

Learned
Imagine designing a character and choosing to name it Shadowheart. :lol:

Is there at least a good lore reason for that name? I just hope there wasn't a dev who thought to himself "this sounds badass" and slapped that generic name on her.

Sharpedge

Prophet

Halsin can do it? No.
From what I can tell, based on the speak to the dead ritual the goblins perform on the Illithid, the tadpoles are 100% controlled by the Illithid themselves. The Absolute is short for Absolute Power and implies that the Illithid are trying to use this cult to take over the world, or at least the Sword Coast.

With that in mind, I would think removing the tadpoles would be a very good idea.

And as for the powers it provides you with, we’ll see, but it wouldn’t be the first Baldur’s Gate game to give you powers and then take them away later.
The hag dialogue itself is interesting though and it implies that the tadpole has been tampered with by Netherese magic. The only Netherese magic we have encountered so far is gale's magic consuming problem.

There is an opportunity to mock her for this when you first meet her, so I’m pretty sure the devs are conscious of how it sounds. And as for lore:

Spoiler:
It’s probably not her real name.

Larger spoiler:
She probably can’t even remember her real name since many of her memories have been erased by her church.

Sharpedge, well, looks like I need to go back and take the hag up on her offer then.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChildInTime

Learned

Halsin can do it? No.

The hag dialogue itself is interesting though and it implies that the tadpole has been tampered with by Netherese magic. The only Netherese magic we have encountered so far is gale's magic consuming problem.
Friendly mindflayer in the Underark says the same thing, and you don't have to pay with your eye for this knowledge.

I actually wonder if using the tadpole is just the "bad ending" path where you won't have any choice in the end but to submit to mindflayers, sorta like being sworn to the God King in OS2. That would be lame.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People talking about skin colour, ethnicity and sexuality. I get offended when people pick humans. Maybe I'm a dwarf? That's certainly how I identify.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Is there at least a good lore reason for that name? I just hope there wasn't a dev who thought to himself "this sounds badass" and slapped that generic name on her.
Just my thoughts when I first saw that character's name.

Halsin can do it? No.

Friendly mindflayer in the Underark says the same thing, and you don't have to pay with your eye for this knowledge.

I actually wonder if using the tadpole is just the "bad ending" path where you won't have any choice in the end but to submit to mindflayers, sorta like being sworn to the God King in OS2. That would be lame.
Would it? You were warned. It’s a brain eating parasite, what do you think will happen?

That said, who knows. Even if it is that way, they probably will build in a way out.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

It's literally the first thing that you can try to ask her.

Stored inside the install folder:

~60 gigs of textures.
~10 gigs of speech.

Well, since this is all assets, at least the patches aren't going to be massive in size... maybe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom