Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Imagine designing a character and choosing to name it Shadowheart. :lol:

Is there at least a good lore reason for that name? I just hope there wasn't a dev who thought to himself "this sounds badass" and slapped that generic name on her.
It's literally the first thing that you can try to ask her.

If you play a drow you get a nice piece of reactive dialogue where you can say that that is an unusually good name for an elf. She responds that that is an unusually good sense of humor for a drow.
Was neat since I can imagine the drow being into edgelord stuff like that.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Also, FYI on romance:

It seems like you get a chance to bone all the companions at/near the end of act 1. Maybe you need the points to do it, not sure.

But Astarion made a (slightly drunken) pass at my male character without my ever flirting with him.

And the Gith seemed extremely pissy that I wanted to sleep with Shadowheart and not her and basically said she would screw Astarion out of spite.

These are all evil characters though, they tend to move pretty quickly and directly.

I didn’t bother talking to the black guy, whom I never even really let join me, or the Wizard, as I killed him the moment I met him.
Wow.... just wow. who ever came up with the cucksquad nickname was spot on.

Gargaune

Magister
About stealth. The info may be outdated by now though, so bear that in mind.

Our stealth mechanics now also take light and darkness into account. You can be obscured or heavily obscured so that even when you are caught in the visibility cones of the enemy, you still have a chance to slip through unseen. Of course, that is if your enemies don’t have darkvision. Here’s a little table that summarizes how light, darkness and darkvision affect stealth.

Clear area = always visible.
Lightly obscured = stealth check.
Lightly obscured + enemy has darkvision = visible.
Heavily obscured = undetected.
Heavily obscured + enemy has darkvision = stealth check.

Things get even more interesting when you discover you can manipulate light by using spells or throwing water at a torch, as lighting is dynamic, and thus shadows are also.

If this is still it, it needs reworking. I'd look to PoE's approach of vision cone and hearing radius and rebalance to roll around Advantage, Disadvantage and Passive Perception vs. Perception Check, rather than flat states. For example, roll against Passive Perception in hearing radius (with Disadvantage if wearing heavy armour) and against Perception Check in vision cone. If you're in the vision cone, in Lightly Obscured roll straight or with Disadvantage if the enemy has Darkvision, and in Heavily Obscured with Advantage or straight respectively. If it's a Clear Area, could be that you always fail or you roll with Disadvantage, not really bothered.

As it stands, the stealth component is steering away from RPG mechanics and veering into platformer territory, where quick reflexes and a spot of luck on random patrols will have Pally McFullplate LARPing Garret behind people's backs.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
As it stands, the stealth component is steering away from RPG mechanics and veering into platformer territory, where quick reflexes and a spot of luck on random patrols will have Pally McFullplate LARPing Garret behind people's backs.
Why "quick reflexes"? I recall it being possible to enable turn-based mode for stealth in the very first gameplay reveal video? Was this changed?

Using stealth to prepare for combat is even more fun due to the introduction of forced turn-based mode. This is a big new feature that allows players at any moment during exploration to switch to turn-based rules. Each turn equates to 6 seconds, allowing players to predict and navigate enemy movement, or solve puzzles that require clever navigation (for example, not getting hit by a fireball!).

Gargaune

Magister
Why "quick reflexes"? I recall it being possible to enable turn-based mode for stealth in the very first gameplay reveal video? Was this changed?

Using stealth to prepare for combat is even more fun due to the introduction of forced turn-based mode. This is a big new feature that allows players at any moment during exploration to switch to turn-based rules. Each turn equates to 6 seconds, allowing players to predict and navigate enemy movement, or solve puzzles that require clever navigation (for example, not getting hit by a fireball!).
Yes, it is, but that's the irony of their current system - if you're playing a low-Dex cleric in heavy armour and with no Stealth proficiency, you're actually better off keeping the game in real time so you can quickly react to patrolling enemies changing direction. Since there's no roll behind them, you can play it like a platformer and just skulk around at their backs, you can manage on your own reflexes despite your character not having any Stealth competencies.

Harthwain

Magister
Yes, it is, but that's the irony of their current system - if you're playing a low-Dex cleric in heavy armour and with no Stealth proficiency, you're actually better off keeping the game in real time so you can quickly react to patrolling enemies changing direction. Since there's no roll behind them, you can play it like a platformer and just skulk around at their backs, you can manage on your own reflexes despite your character not having any Stealth competencies.
I see. I guess the solution to the problem could be that going into stealth in real-time should slow you down, depending how low-DEX character is.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
kPMfn5P.png

Conversation with drow lady.

Gargaune

Magister
I see. I guess the solution to the problem could be that going into stealth in real-time should slow you down, depending how low-DEX character is.
Sure, you could look to solutions like that, but wouldn't it be better to rework the system around properly rolling on your skills? Stealth is one of those components that doesn't translate too well from tabeltop to the screen, what I described earlier might be a bit harsh with how many times you have to roll to get past a single encounter, but it's a CRPG, I'd rather have them tinker with the frequency of the rolls than streamline it to the point where they have to patch away the platforming.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Isn’t leveling too fast? I guess if you’ll complete all the quests in this chapter you can easily get into 6 given there will be no cap.

Harthwain

Magister
Sure, you could look to solutions like that, but wouldn't it be better to rework the system around properly rolling on your skills?
Sounds reasonable enough. How would you define the size of the hearing radious though?

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Sure, you could look to solutions like that, but wouldn't it be better to rework the system around properly rolling on your skills?
Sounds reasonable enough. How would you define the size of the hearing radious though?
My guess, it would need to be defined for every type of creature seperatly depending on how good their hearing is, some creatures could not have one at all.

Gargaune

Magister
Well, looking at Deadfire for an example, I think it would be rather limited, and if they were to undertake such an overhaul now they'd also have to configure that radius appropriate to all those levels they've already built. I suspect it would still be possible to platform your way around guards without rolling, but much harder. At the end of the day it would likely still be a "gamey" implementation, but I'd prefer that to being able to stroll up behind someone completely uncontested.

My guess, it would need to be defined for every type of creature seperatly depending on how good their hearing is, some creatures could not have one at all.
No need to go to that level of granularity, Passive Perception covers that in aggregate. The idea - which was just an example, really - was to have you roll vs. Passive Perception within the "hearing" radius, as opposed to vs. Perception Check in the vision cone. You're still incentivised to avoid the vision cone, but you're not absolutely safe at someone's back either.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They might've done it this way If they are thinking of "solo" stealth missions in Baldur's Gate in mansions or whatever. It might be tedious if you get constantly caught because you have to roll the dice behind the scenes and are unlucky.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Imagine designing a character and choosing to name it Shadowheart. :lol:

Is there at least a good lore reason for that name? I just hope there wasn't a dev who thought to himself "this sounds badass" and slapped that generic name on her.
It's literally the first thing that you can try to ask her.

If you play a drow you get a nice piece of reactive dialogue where you can say that that is an unusually good name for an elf. She responds that that is an unusually good sense of humor for a drow.
Was neat since I can imagine the drow being into edgelord stuff like that.
Hold up a minute... why do you know what happens when you play a drow?

:updatedmytxt:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Underdark looks pretty neat, except it's quite... dark.

Can't really see what's going on and where is the road.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I might give this game a miss until I can play a paladin or sorc... Really don't want to play a MC that fails persuasion attempts all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom