Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 now available on Early Access

Dr Schultz

Augur
True, but as long as they don't leave the party, you have the same degree of control over them than over your main character. IF there is a difference, I'd say it's quite subtle...

Tim Cain tried various different approaches in three different games (Fallout, Arcanum, ToEE) and they were all terrible. And the question of one-character versus full-party was answered right at the beginning:

In the competition between the two 800-pound gorillas of the industry, Wizardry won the first round with both the critics and the public. Compared to Ultima I, Wizardry I garnered more attention and more superlative reviews, and engendered a more dedicated cult of players — and outsold its rival by at least a two to one margin.

I've read this article years ago.

I'm under the impression that you missed one (or more) of my posts in this thread. While I've stated that controlling one character surely makes for a closer approximation of the tabletop experience, I've also repeated multiple times that I don't give a fuck about that. If a design choice brings to good gameplay I'm totally on board.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Additionally, level restriction aside, you don't have complete control over hirelings, henchmen and followers. You don't roleplay them.
If there is player control of them in the game, I do.

You (your character) give them orders hopping that they agree to do what you ask them. They are nothing like BG companions if you brought them up for this reason
The mercenaries in the Gold Box games are not like companions. The game controls them, and they join the party for a fee, and demand a first pick share of the loot.

It's funny... I have the Wizardry games, and I've always wanted to play through the series, but I could never get interested in them. I'd play then for a few minutes, just to get an idea of them,
then I would turn it off— in the same way that Crocodile Dundee turned of the television off when it showed him I love Lucy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Verisimilar HP values in D&D 0.0?

Sure, why not. After all we live in the era of the Flat Earth Society. Everyone is entled to believe everything nowadays...

Creature statistics were made with the idea of "what values would this creature have," not "what would provide the most challenge to a party," yes.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Verisimilar HP values in D&D 0.0?

Sure, why not. After all we live in the era of the Flat Earth Society. Everyone is entled to believe everything nowadays...

Creature statistics were made with the idea of "what values would this creature have," not "what would provide the most challenge to a party," yes.

Aaaah. And this brought to extremely verisimilar scenarios in combat and outside combat with the previous editions.
Like - for instance - a level 10th character falling for 30 meters and surviving.
Verisimilarity is the first word that crosses your mind when you think to D&D health system. Definitely :)

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Aaaah. And this brought to extremely verisimilar scenarios in combat and outside combat with the previous editions.
Like - for instance - a level 10th character falling for 30 meters and surviving.
Verisimilarity is the first thing that comes in mind when you think to D&D health system. Definitely

Verisimilar doesn't mean realistic or a simulation.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Verisimilarity is the first thing that comes in mind when you think to D&D health system. Definitely

Verisimilar doesn't mean realistic or a simulation.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/verisimilar#:~:text=adjective,; probable: a verisimilar tale.

Not accordingly to the English vocabulary

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Verisimilar and D&D how can you even put them in same sentence ... Come on, if you start to look into details economy and the whole world building collapse.

Verisimilar is not a synonym for realistic which is why it caught on in the first place after so many pedantic arguments over the use of the word realistic when discussing game mechanics.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They are complaining about a system they dont know, never played, implemented in a game they cant afford then compare it to older systems they dont really know either and never play, vaguely and poorly implemented in older games.

"Anyone who disagrees with me is a "faker" and has never played dnd before"

Really? You going with this argument?
Fuck off retard.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Verisimilar and D&D how can you even put them in same sentence ... Come on, if you start to look into details economy and the whole world building collapse.

Verisimilar is not a synonym for realistic which is why it caught on in the first place after so many pedantic arguments over the use of the word realistic when discussing game mechanics.

For Christ sake, another one that grasp at anything! One expects this kind of behavior from the users. But the staff also?

Ok, do you deem falling for 30 meters and surviving without a scratch an act the has "the appearance of truth; likely; probable"?

Maybe this comes to you as a shock, Roguey, but NOTHING in the D&D health system is remotely verisimilar and, generally speaking, D&D qualifies as one of the gameist ruleset in the market since it started having competitors...

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ok, do you deem falling for 30 meters and surviving without a scratch an act the has "the appearance of truth; likely; probable"?

This happens in movies, so yes.

Maybe this comes you as a shock, Roguey, but NOTHING in the D&D health system is remotely verisimilar and, generally speaking, D&D qualifies as one of the gameist ruleset in the market since it started having competitors...

Hit points have an adequately acceptable explanation. All the people who had a severe negative reaction to 4e, which did make D&D gamey, would balk at the idea of D&D being considered one of the "gamiest."

Ol'man

Educated

Maybe this comes you as a shock, Roguey, but NOTHING in the D&D health system is remotely verisimilar and, generally speaking, D&D qualifies as one of the gameist ruleset in the market since it started having competitors...

Hit points have an adequately acceptable explanation. All the people who had a severe negative reaction to 4e, which did make D&D gamey, would balk at the idea of D&D being considered one of the "gamiest."

They can balk all they want. Most people playing d&d have only ever played d&d and it's like pulling teeth to get them to swap. Every DM that's ever proposed something else knows this. Their frame of reference on what is gamey is divorced from reality with no basis of comparison.

Dr Schultz

Augur

See below. You need something else to compare D&D with in order to get how gamey it is...

They can balk all they want. Most people playing d&d have only ever played d&d and it's like pulling teeth to get them to swap. Every DM that's ever proposed something else knows this. Their frame of reference on what is gamey is divorced from reality with no basis of comparison.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Wew you'd think a guy who works on video games for a living could afford some hardware.

Zeriel

Arcane
So, I just went and read the Ars Technica review, and I hate to say it because I usually hate the hipsters over there, but they are pretty much spot on the money with this one. The writing in BG3 reminds me of DOS2, which cleaved sharply away from DOS1. Not to say that DOS 1 was genius, it wasn't, but DOS2 loves to make every character you interact with an edgelord who hates you, and you're supposed to find this cool and refreshing. Which it could be if that was one character out of 100, but when every character you're supposed to care about and want to be around is like that, it just leaves you feeling, "Okay? Bye then." It's like if Imoen, Jaheira, and Khalid also acted like Xzar, only without Xzar's wacky charm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom