Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ChildInTime

Learned
The "good" drow worship Eilistraee usually. I'm not sure if the Seldarine are the "good drow", though.
But are the good Drows still matriarchal? I was under the impression that the matriarchal aspect of their society is tied to the primacy of Lolth.
They aren't matriarchal. Lolth drow have females in power only because Lolth wills it. She got bitchslapped by Corellon and put in her place, this is where her hatred for males comes from, which she passes down to her followers.

Elex

Arbiter
Isn’t leveling too fast? I guess if you’ll complete all the quests in this chapter you can easily get into 6 given there will be no cap.
The number of fights, exploration and quest is similar to the pace of a D&D 5E printed adventure in 25-30 hours you reach lvl 5-6 (lvl 1-3 often are rushed or skipped) it’s the equivalent of 9-10 real life sessions.

Elex

Arbiter
I think that the unnamed drow is Minthara. If you side with the absolute instead of the druids she ends up in your camp. I just tried this now out of curiosity.
Sylvira Savikas (tiefling) Is a wizard from candlekeep, expert in devil/demons and with knowledge on the blood war.
She was present in BG descent in avernus.
During the adventure she was in candlekeep and i don’t think she move out.

Robber Baron

Savant
Failed perception check of whats probably a trap -> just throw something in general direction to trigger it
Honestly some mechanics of DoS legacy are a welcome addition

Elex

Arbiter
It means that the only people that don’t play 5e are on the codex.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Eilistraee is one of those mega lame "goddess of beauty" types that advocate all sorts of dumb degenerate shit. I'm pretty sure she turns girls into hermaphrodites too.

Don't worship that backstabbing faggot. Go for Big Mama Lolth, if you fail her you can become a drider and we can hang out then.

ChildInTime

Learned
I went on reddit to check those feedback threads, instead I found this.

z8r5pzb3pcs51.png

ChildInTime

Learned
Eilistraee is one of those mega lame "goddess of beauty" types that advocate all sorts of dumb degenerate shit. I'm pretty sure she turns girls into hermaphrodites too.

Don't worship that backstabbing faggot. Go for Big Mama Lolth, if you fail her you can become a drider and we can hang out then.
Said the spider.

Elex

Arbiter
Failed perception check of whats probably a trap -> just throw something in general direction to trigger it
Honestly some mechanics of DoS legacy are a welcome addition
Like in tabletop.
DM:“Roll a perception check”
Dice: 2+5
DM: “there is no trap in the room”
Player:”i check the floor with my 10ft. Pole”

Robber Baron

Savant
Like in tabletop.
DM:“Roll a perception check”
Dice: 2+5
DM: “there is no trap in the room”
Player:”i check the floor with my 10ft. Pole”

The kind of interactivity that should've been a norm in RPGs by 2020 (in a perfect world)

Also holy shit
There is a world map

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
That is, it's a soulless, commercialized, passionless cash grab that is released during a time when 90% of mainstream releases are the same thing.
1) Games don't have any soul in any religion and I doubt that even many hipsters in sphere of art would say such thing about actual art like painting and books (imho the very sentence "this book has a soul" sounds dumb as fuck)
2) Any aspect of your and anyone's life is commercialized in some form or another, since other people (who produce goods and services that you use) need to eat too. This game does not have micro-transactions and I haven't heard of planned DLC's before launch (as it was with Deadfire), so Larian is not most vile company out here.
3) Cash grab? Lol. You know what was a real cash grab in Larian's history? Beyond Divinity. I played that game and, god, I saw some shit. "Cash grab" in most cases means low production values, but even in "early access" state BG3 has relatively solid production quality. Maybe misplaced (these fucking dialogue cutscenes akin to Dragon Age, Witcher, Kindom Come Deliverance with every fucking unimportant NPC become old quite fast, for example), but still there was some effort.

Some people who was shitting on BG3 had some interesting points, but people like you tarnish reputation of any critique towards the game and later wonder why you not taken seriously.
Anyway, I know, nothing will convince you (or even if you will be somehow convinced - your pride will not allow of public admittance) and you will continue your laughable "crusade" against a computer game. I was just bored and decided to poke some whiny manchilds on codex (and thread about Larian game is fucking gold mine), you guys shrivel in agony so funny.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The "good" drow worship Eilistraee usually. I'm not sure if the Seldarine are the "good drow", though.
But are the good Drows still matriarchal? I was under the impression that the matriarchal aspect of their society is tied to the primacy of Lolth.
They aren't matriarchal. Lolth drow have females in power only because Lolth wills it. She got bitchslapped by Corellon and put in her place, this is where her hatred for males comes from, which she passes down to her followers.
They are, though.

ChildInTime

Learned
They are, though.

I would argue it's not really a matriarchy, just a matter of practicality with no one actually enforcing the rule of women.

This society was built to empower all drow—males and females alike—to find their place and thrive on the surface world

In fact, the communities generally formed around a temple or shrine to the goddess, and thus were usually led by the clergy (which was mostly made up of women). There wasn't any rule preventing males from becoming leaders, though they rarely did. Nonetheless, Eilistraean communities were characterized by a very loose hierarchy, as everyone stood on the same ground.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
They should pick a different name for Seldarine Drow if they are indeed those who worship Eilistraee. She is not part of the Seldarine.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the fact that I could join goblins with the drow instead of some poor cliche refugee-druid combo and it was well made bundle of quests, where the "evil" side doesn't seem stupid or malicious for no reason, but instead is a normal society, albeit more akin to a religious bandit camp. I liked characters there more than those druid/refugee boring trash.

Companions seem to be fairly well made as well. To my huge surprise, because DOS2 had terribly boring ones. Although there are better and mediocre ones, but overall I am not annoyed by them, and some even like. They ain't typical fantasy "LET'S HELP EVERYONE!! WE GOOD!!!" cliche either, but instead seem more egocentric and focused on what's more important for the party and them.

Overall, the game seems MUCH better than I'd ever expect. Could be the best game Larian made so far, but I'll wait with such judgement for now until I play further.

Drakortha

Liturgist
That is, it's a soulless, commercialized, passionless cash grab that is released during a time when 90% of mainstream releases are the same thing.
1) Games don't have any soul in any religion

Games can be and have been a form of art. And like any art, CAN have soul if the artist puts it in. Not sure what religion has to do with it but I guess you're a religion-tard, so I guess carry on, then.

Any aspect of your and anyone's life is commercialized in some form or another, since other people need to eat too.

Okay, so poor developer needs to eat. Doesn't make this particular game not shit. Not sure what point you're trying to make here. You realize that the people who do the most work probably wind up getting the smallest cut of profits, right?

3) Cash grab? Lol. You know what was a real cash grab in Larian's history? Beyond Divinity. I played that game and, god, I saw some shit. "Cash grab" in most cases means low production values, but even in "early access" state BG3 has relatively solid production quality. Maybe misplaced (these fucking dialogue cutscenes akin to Dragon Age, Witcher, Kindom Come Deliverance with every fucking unimportant NPC become old quite fast, for example), but still there was some effort.

Full-Price for a barely working prototype doesn't evoke feelings of solid production quality, if you ask me. But hey you want to keep lowering your standards every year you reap what you sow. In the next few years you'll be paying full price for the character creator on games with the promise of a full polished game somewhere over the horizon.

Anyway, I know, nothing will convince you (or even if you will be somehow convinced - your pride will not allow of public admittance)

An actual decent game being released will convince me. Not your retarded logic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They should pick a different name for Seldarine Drow if they are indeed those who worship Eilistraee. She is not part of the Seldarine.
Do they mean that these are drow who worship the usual elven pantheon? I didn't know such existed and thought they couldn't exist because the usual elven pantheon don't accept them, so they are forced to either worship Lolth or Eilistraee.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Do they mean that these are drow who worship the usual elven pantheon? I didn't know such existed.
Neither did I, but that's the only thing that would justify the name. I think they just wanted a cool name that wasn't "Good Drow" or "Eilistraee worshippers" and didn't really think about it too much.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Do they mean that these are drow who worship the usual elven pantheon? I didn't know such existed.
Neither did I, but that's the only thing that would justify the name. I think they just wanted a cool name that wasn't "Good Drow" or "Eilistraee worshippers" and didn't really think about it too much.
These are the writers who came up with Shadowheart, I'd say they did a better job than expected considering.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Well, what about the strange requirements Eilistraee makes of her male priests?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom