Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The "good" drow worship Eilistraee usually. I'm not sure if the Seldarine are the "good drow", though.
But are the good Drows still matriarchal? I was under the impression that the matriarchal aspect of their society is tied to the primacy of Lolth.
They aren't matriarchal. Lolth drow have females in power only because Lolth wills it. She got bitchslapped by Corellon and put in her place, this is where her hatred for males comes from, which she passes down to her followers.

Well, what about the strange requirements Eilistraee makes of her male priests?
Most people tend to ignore the more out there parts of Ed's Magical Realms.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the fact that I could join goblins with the drow instead of some poor cliche refugee-druid combo and it was well made bundle of quests, where the "evil" side doesn't seem stupid or malicious for no reason, but instead is a normal society, albeit more akin to a religious bandit camp. I liked characters there more than those druid/refugee boring trash.

Companions seem to be fairly well made as well. To my huge surprise, because DOS2 had terribly boring ones. Although there are better and mediocre ones, but overall I am not annoyed by them, and some even like. They ain't typical fantasy "LET'S HELP EVERYONE!! WE GOOD!!!" cliche either, but instead seem more egocentric and focused on what's more important for the party and them.

Overall, the game seems MUCH better than I'd ever expect. Could be the best game Larian made so far, but I'll wait with such judgement for now until I play further.
This is the first legit impressive thing about this game's content. I wonder if a choice at this level will occur in more than one instance in the campaign.

Ulysa

Scholar
I was ready for this game to be a lot of things like "not BG", "goofy", "poorly written". But right now I'm just astonished at how BORING it is. Everything from the combat, the rules (this was my biggest surprise because everyone sells you D&D 5th as fun), the characters, to the goddamn little theme park trails you have to follow in the map like a good boy. The fact that they went with a ridiculous over the top story for a level 1 character mindflayers, dragons, devils, the underdark doesn't dissimulate it for me.
It's so boring that I don't even have the strength to complain about the other things, but I agree with a lot of this thread.

On the happy side...I can say I liked the music. But no surprise there because I knew the composer is lovely.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
After playing 15 or so hours, the game is mostly a disappointment. It has barely anything to do with BG. The game has a habit of namedropping some references, but they only manage to annoy anyone familiar with the original games. Writing is across the board below average. World building is vacuous. Character interactions and the associated skill rolls feel pointless. There's no day/night cycle, which is a huge negative. It's also rather ridiculous that your party members wearing heavy armor can break all high jump olympic records without breaking a sweat.

However the combat is not entirely horrible. So there's that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
After playing 15 or so hours, the game is mostly a disappointment. It has barely anything to do with BG. The game has a habit of namedropping some references, but they only manage to annoy anyone familiar with the original games. Writing is across the board below average. World building is vacuous. Character interactions and the associated skill rolls feel pointless. There's no day/night cycle, which is a huge negative. It's rather ridiculous that your party members wearing heavy armor can break all high jump olympic records without breaking a sweat.

However the combat is not entirely horrible. So there's that.

What are the references? Other than the book about Space Hamsters .

Thonius

Arcane
They should pick a different name for Seldarine Drow if they are indeed those who worship Eilistraee. She is not part of the Seldarine.
Eh just googled and here it is https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Seldarine
It's some pantheon or something dunno. Game needs more tool-tips. So I quess Seldarine drow - everyone but loth. Can be eli what's her name or any other. Weird design.
That's kind of even more wacky if you notice that other races do not pick any deity etc.

Reinhardt

Arcane
image.jpg
Fuck, started playing as drow womyn to fuck other drow wommynz but now i suddenly want to create white man.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
3aa48345abaca81bb97fa7e2f70cc424.png

Hey guys, I did some datamining in BG3 and found references 3 unannounced companions-- Minsc and Boo, Hela the werewolf, and Karlach the tiefling.

Karlach is already in the game in a quest, and Hela is female and an origin character, so you have both a werewolf and a vampire as origin characters.

I posted this on reddit but it got deleted because, well, it was reddit where they don't like substantial posts, only memes and press releases.

Attached are screenshots from the hex editor I used to look things up.

Minsc and boo.. Fucking Spongebob Squarepants of Fearun.
:decline:

Robber Baron

Savant
So I've been killing
goblins inside their Keep when suddenly Mintara approached me with a generic dialog about stolen goods so I bribed her for 85g lamao

BarbequeMasta

Learned
I was ready for this game to be a lot of things like "not BG", "goofy", "poorly written". But right now I'm just astonished at how BORING it is. Everything from the combat, the rules (this was my biggest surprise because everyone sells you D&D 5th as fun), the characters, to the goddamn little theme park trails you have to follow in the map like a good boy. The fact that they went with a ridiculous over the top story for a level 1 character mindflayers, dragons, devils, the underdark doesn't dissimulate it for me.
It's so boring that I don't even have the strength to complain about the other things, but I agree with a lot of this thread.

On the happy side...I can say I liked the music. But no surprise there because I knew the composer is lovely.
Ehh you can generally ignore anyone who thinks 5E is good or fun, especially when compared to the first 3. it's made the critical role kind of people.

Quillon

Arcane
matriarch spooder & co gangraped ma'party
rating_negativeman.png
I will reee about this on twitter for usage of child soldiers!

BarbequeMasta

Learned
So I've been killing
goblins inside their Keep when suddenly Mintara approached me with a generic dialog about stolen goods so I bribed her for 85g lamao
I can't remember which game did the exact same thing..... hmmm I think it had divinity in it's title, also sin and probablly a 2 as well.... ehhh am probablly imagining things, no way this is a reskin of some mediocre Larian game.

Thonius

Arcane
"Wowzer so koool world map" is just well map with same location that we visit in the crashed "Ilithid ship" with key locations tagged for fast travel. In other words - Why bother with it?
That also reminds me that I fucking hate their approach for open areas. Fucking walls/cliffs everywhere. Gamey, both claustrophobic and hassle to walk around. No Idea why they bothered to connect all points of interest. Self contained locations would've been so much better and I bet would've cut loading times.
I like most of their dungeon designs tho.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Ehh you can generally ignore anyone who thinks 5E is good or fun, especially when compared to the first 3. it's made the critical role kind of people.

Ehh, it has its faults, but it is not pure decline.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
People like 5th edition not because it's complicated or deep but because it makes pen and paper encounters go fast.

Most of us here absolutely prefer older editions but you'd have to be willfully ignorant to ignore that, for the purposes of pen and paper, 5th edition makes for faster games. This is good when you're playing with brand new players or in large groups.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What 5E mostly lacks is build variety, but with multiclassing + the various feats from the supplements (also Tasha soon) I'd say it's okay for what they are going for (faster encounters). Outside of that, the already mentioned lack of specialization that makes competency a matter of dice rolls, but that is easily made better with a house rule or two. I don't get the complaints about us being "limited" in some way, quite the contrary we aren't limited enough making most characters indistinguishable from a role playing perspective due to the aforementioned lack of specialization. There are also too many base classes and their debatable design, but that's not easily fixable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom