Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Saduj

Arcane
Ok, I wasn’t saying W3 combat is all that hard but it never really reminded me of NuXCom either and there are more differences than similarities.

Imrahil

Educated
I'm on my second playthrough, so obviously I enjoy the game, but the simple QoL stuff they left out is mind-boggling.
- Why can't I select a known location on the map & that means "I Want To Go To There" (tm Liz Lemon)?
- Why can't I double-click on an area of the map & it then centers my camera there so I can click on it?
- Why can't I scroll on the World Map?
- Why can't I Fast Travel in Colorado Springs?
- Why is there no Trinkets inventory option?
- Why does Junk show up in my General Inventory?
- Why can't I sort my Inventory (beyond picking categories)?
- Why do my pets vanish if I (temporarily) replace a Ranger or companion & re-add them?
- Why can't I remove Weapon/Armor mods?

Most of those things I could do in WL2!

Antigoon

Augur
I'm on my second playthrough, so obviously I enjoy the game, but the simple QoL stuff they left out is mind-boggling.
- Why can't I Fast Travel in Colorado Springs?
Most of those things I could do in WL2!
You can call a tow truck to bring you right back to Colorado Springs

bec de corbin

Educated
Movement on the world map is absolutely too slow. They have a few upgrades that make it faster, but it's not like there's anything to dodge or chase out there--there's no strategy or trade-off in taking more speed over something else, just whether you want to get to the interesting parts faster (which you always do).

Imrahil

Educated
You can call a tow truck to bring you right back to Colorado Springs
Oh, yes, I know, but why can't I go from Broadmoor Heights directly to Ranger HQ? I have to travel through an area exit, through another area (Downtown), to an area exit. If I'm in the Kodiak on the World Map, I can choose which area to enter, but not from inside Colorado Springs?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
It's somewhat fun, but extremely unrealistic. Like, the maximum range of a sniper rifle is... 24 feet, or 8 meter. Chars can move further than that in a single turn. A char can shoot six rockets in a single turn. And, of course, a few hits with a metal pipe do more damage than a burst with a .50 cal. machine gun.

It would be actually fun to play if they would increase the zoom level and range a lot. But I get that doing that would make melee and pistols useless, which players demand should be equally useful as that big gun. And after a balancing patch, probably that rocket launcher as well.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This game was cool. Any complaints about this game are probably valid, but overall this is was a good RPG. Inxile proved they weren't retarded. Meanwhile Larian are clowning away. Sad!

bec de corbin

Educated
It's got a lot of problems but it's certainly the best thing Inxile has made so far. Though I suppose this may be the peak of what they are capable of.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's somewhat fun, but extremely unrealistic. Like, the maximum range of a sniper rifle is... 24 feet, or 8 meter. Chars can move further than that in a single turn. A char can shoot six rockets in a single turn. And, of course, a few hits with a metal pipe do more damage than a burst with a .50 cal. machine gun.

It would be actually fun to play if they would increase the zoom level and range a lot. But I get that doing that would make melee and pistols useless, which players demand should be equally useful as that big gun. And after a balancing patch, probably that rocket launcher as well.
Increasing the zoom level and range would require making the areas larger, which would mean work and require competence - so that's never happening. The issue of "players" (read: retards) "demanding" that melee and pistols are "equally useful" should be ignored; what they actually would demand wouldn't be "equally useful", but actually "functionally equal".

Good design in this regard would not strive to make all types of weapons functionally equal, as is the going meta and the only thing the mouthbreathers of the world understand, but to make things function in different ways and fulfill different niches in combat. Pistols and melee weapons can absolutely fulfill a function and even have proper skills and abilities, it is just that their function would have to be fundamentally different from that of assault rifles, sniper rifles, etc. They would serve as backup weapons and fulfill tacticool purposes, as well as CQC.

Especially post-apoc settings have the near-unique advantage of allowing very good focus on sneaking/non-engagement as well as various forms of melee combat, as every bullet should matter and many potential enemies being melee-only, relying on either speed or guile to attack and tie up squad members with heavier ordnance.

inXile have no drive or aspirations to make a game like that, is all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Load times patch: https://www.inxile-entertainment.co...-1-2-save-scummers-delight-now-live-steam-gog

Wasteland 3 Patch 1.1.2 "Save Scummers Delight" Now Live – Steam & GOG

Our continued thanks to those playing and enjoying Wasteland 3, and for those of you who have continued to report issues, and bring our attention to solutions and reproduction steps. It's been heartening to see so many of you looking to help us continue to improve the experience, and we're dedicated to doing just that for the foreseeable future.

This update has some big changes, including the oft-requested improvements to load times, as well as fixes for some progression blockers, and more. Reducing the load times was a big undertaking to essentially rewrite how our level load procedure works, but we think you'll appreciate the result—especially if love to save and reload to get that perfect outcome (we won't tell).

Patch 1.1.2 is now live on Steam and GOG with Microsoft Store, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 versions going live early next week following their certification release process. Please note that for cross-platform co-op on PC, both the Host and Client will need to have matching versions.

Highlights
  • Do you hate long load times? We hate long load times. Our engineers changed how the game loads levels, reducing load times by up to 60% on PC and 25% on console.
    • As one example, on our PC test hardware a 38 second load time was reduced to 13 seconds.
  • Fixed an issue where combat could become unresponsive with use of the Chain Ambush Perk for sniper rifles.
  • Resolved several progression blocking issues in Yuma County Speedway.
  • Enemies are now much less invisible after use of Precision Strike.
Performance & Stability
  • Significantly changed how levels load, resulting in up to 60% faster load speeds across the game on PC, and on average 25% faster for consoles.
    • Note: your hardware, save data, and which level you’re loading into can all impact load times. Your mileage may of course vary.
    • As part of this change, auto-saves will no longer occur as a part of the level load, and instead happen concurrently. This can lead to situations where you’ve loaded into the next scene but an auto-save is still in-progress. Don’t close the game while the Ranger star is spinning.
  • Major Prasad will no longer crash your game if you exit while she’s still talking.
  • Additional stability and performance improvements for consoles that were too technical for the person writing these patch notes to understand and explain easily. It’s good stuff though. All good stuff.
- We’ll be continuing to target and resolve specific stability issues as necessary.

Co-op
  • Players can no longer attack companions that are in the process of being recruited by the other player, in case your partner likes to troll.
  • Fixed an issue where the Guest client could become unresponsive when talking with Hope Emerson and choosing to side with Del Hackett and her people.
  • Improved stability while in the Hire Companion screen.
  • Players can now use the keyboard in the lobby screen to choose game type, options, invite player, and ready up.
  • Enabled UI Narration in the Direct Connection interface and for multiplayer game messages sent through chat.
  • Fixed an issue with voice chat text-to-speech and speech-to-text.
  • [Microsoft Store] Resolved an issue where guests couldn’t rejoin a lobby they’d just left.
Quests & Gameplay
  • Resolved an issue where quirks could become unselectable during character creation.
  • Fixed a potential blocker with Medical Marvel not allowing revival without use of a Nitro Spike.
  • Resolved a rare issue that would block you from speaking to a companion.
  • The door in Yuma County Speedway leading to Liberty is now unbreakable as intended.
Misc.
  • Fixed minor graphical issue with the radio.
  • Some cinematic characters have been given microdermabrasion treatments and now have better looking skin.
  • Skill levels for recruitable characters now display properly in all cases.
  • Mission status should no longer display incorrectly after quest completion or updates.
  • Resolved issue where the spinning Ranger Star would permanently stay on screen after saving the game.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
So what are the opinions on this one? is it good? is it average? is at least better than the previous one.
didnt like WL2 much so barely followed this one.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
So what are the opinions on this one? is it good? is it average? is at least better than the previous one.
Almost everyone here thinks its a vast improvement. Did you play Vanilla WL2 or the DC?
I played it long ago around release so probablly Vanilla. I have spare money and time currently so I'll probablly get this. thx.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's substantially worse in most ways compared to Wasteland 2, objectively. I don't mean this in a "haha dis game bad" kind of way, but in an actual objective fashion, such as UI, load times, mechanical depth, etc. Overall, it is massively consolized, as well, which is especially noticeable when it comes to UI elements.

All of this pales in comparison to the technical issues, however, as the game is fundamentally broken in a host of ways, far worse than WL2 ever was. The cringe is also extremely heavy with that one, but I realize that is mostly subjective. If you wanted to play desert rangers, keep looking, because this is the land of MMO armors and weapons, and you have few options that do not involve looking like a raider with spiky helmets and/or literal clown suits. That is no joke, by the way.

The storyline and the pacing of it is supposedly much better, if much, much, much shorter.
Almost everyone here thinks its a vast improvement. Did you play Vanilla WL2 or the DC?
I played it long ago around release so probablly Vanilla. I have spare money and time currently so I'll probablly get this. thx.
Do not pay for this. These people do not deserve money, they deserve scorn. Just get it on gog-games.com or something. If you still consider it worth over 60€ and the health of the industry after having played it, you can still pay for it then and sorry about the brain tumor.

Finished this up last night. Pretty solid. The recent patch made a MASSIVE difference in the loading times, I'd shelved the game because I was getting pissed at the load times as well as snapping because of a bug with the sniper overwatch perk, both of which got fixed in the patch so I went ham on the game. Certainly plenty of complain about, but it's probably inXile's best game. Combat's enjoyable even though there's some really weird balance, itemization is a bit odd but tolerable, quests are mostly alright but the C&C wasn't quite as juicy as I'd hoped in the end, bit too many trash combat encounters, etc etc etc. On paper there were an absolute fucking ton of things that annoyed me, but they were all little niggles when it came down to actually playing. It's an odd situation because I actively dislike Underrail (Even started playing it again recently just to give it another chance and try a different build. Still don't like it) but on paper it has more things I should like, but when it comes right down to it I enjoy Wasteland 3 more despite the tons of flaws.

Not a great game but I'm reasonably happy I backed it for $20 or whatever it was. Does make me want to load up Wasteland 2 and try it again since I never did give the director's cut a whirl, maybe that improved it enough it wouldn't piss me off. Props to whoever does music at inXile though. Bard's Tale 4's soundtrack was great, and Wasteland 3's is weird in a good way. Feels like a recent development 'cause I remember fucking NOTHING about Torment Numanuma's soundtrack and Wasteland 2's was Fallouty, as I recall. And assuming they do DLC for Wasteland 3 (Since Fargo was making noise about it) I doubt I'll give much of a shit and probably buy it on a steep discount. If it's "We plonked another dungeon or two into the main campaign, enjoy" I don't really give a damn because I finished the game with a few chunks of map unexplored since as far as I could tell I was essentially as leveled up as I really could want to be, had max tier equipment, and gobs of money at the end. Just figured fuck it and went to the final area. More side-content in the main campaign is absolutely not something I'd really care about.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Better than Wasteland 2 but the game is short, maybe waiting for a sale would be a good idea.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
I see, i'll check it out if it gets cheap then, I should finally get to underrail expansion meanwhile.

Imrahil

Educated
The latest patch has definitely improved the loading times. Like instead of taking a bathroom break or going to fix your dinner when you load a game or area transition, you now barely have time to read the flavor text. Granted I have an SSD but still, massive improvement.

Why they didn't include whatever they did in the initial release is a mystery.

After playing a couple hours of Baldur's Gate Divinity Original Sin 3, I changed my mind about the combat in Wasteland 3.

The latest patch has definitely improved the loading times. Like instead of taking a bathroom break or going to fix your dinner when you load a game or area transition, you now barely have time to read the flavor text. Granted I have an SSD but still, massive improvement.

Why they didn't include whatever they did in the initial release is a mystery.

Yeah, only one chance to make a good first impression. Game devs never learn.

Good god, it's such a fucking mess, even with the latest patch. Then again, I did a co-op with a friend and it seems to have generally more issues in comparison to single player.
What the fuck is going on with Rally ability randomly deciding whether to give AP or not to other party members and the Draw! perk applying to any and all weapons for some fucking reason, making rocket launcher be all end all of basically each and every combat encounter.
Also, how the hell is it posible to write and depict the characters of this game in a semi-decent fashion, yet fail so abhorrently at pretty much every aspect of the main plot?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Good god, it's such a fucking mess, even with the latest patch. Then again, I did a co-op with a friend and it seems to have generally more issues in comparison to single player.
What the fuck is going on with Rally ability randomly deciding whether to give AP or not to other party members and the Draw! perk applying to any and all weapons for some fucking reason, making rocket launcher be all end all of basically each and every combat encounter.

Also, how the hell is it posible to write and depict the characters of this game in a semi-decent fashion, yet fail so abhorrently at pretty much every aspect of the main plot?
This thread is pretty much dead for a reason.

Yoomazir

Educated

This thread is pretty much dead for a reason.
Constantly trashing a game usually does that to a thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom