Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Huh, I guess I forgot about that. When I tried to open the door I had Halsin following me and he prevented me from going through the door we had agreed to take out the three goblin leaders. Are there any other ways to enter the underdark in the current EA build?

Should be a way to the Underdark from the Defiled Temple, i think that's somewhere around the goblin areas. I know you get access to it if you side w/ the goblins but i'm in the process of slaughtering them all; anyway i remember reading somewhere in the reddit that that place has a waypoint into the Underdark.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
As we all suspected the tiefling nigress is a companion, as well as someone named Helia - a werewolf girl,
Minsc is a companion too.
Everyone who has an INCLUSION_ tag to them is a playable character, this includes Shadowheart, Astarion, Gale, Wyll, Lae'zel, and also Helia, Karlach, and
Minsc.

hoS3Ao3.png

DMjGzg8.png

DKPeQ4m.png

MG2zB1S.png
fantadomat

Got something to say, fantadumbtard? :smug:
That i hope the game has a footjob sex option :smug:. Also cheers,Magnat bro spammed me with kebab killing music and i am going for the bottle and the saber!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

To anybody who's through: Have I encountered a possible glitch? I seem to have all the stuff to "venture forth", however I seem to be stuck.

Checked with all the possible leads as to a cure; Nettie; the Gith in the Nortwest; the goblin priest Gutt and Auntie Ethel. Also got the information about the Moonrise Towers from Halsin's body -- actually, it's one of my main quests now to travel there.

However, when trying to exit the map (in the Northwest there is a signpost saying that Moonrise Towers would be to the West, alongside an exit to the West, the game wouldn't let me. Or is that the end and there isn't an ending proper and you're stuck in a loop until the full game arrives?
It sounds like you haven't visited the underdark yet. Jump down the well in that one village in the centre of the map.
you can get to the underdark regularly through the temple where the goblins are
Oh shit, really? How?
the door in Priestess Gut's room leads to her chambers which eventually leads down to the underdark
Huh, I guess I forgot about that. When I tried to open the door I had Halsin following me and he prevented me from going through the door we had agreed to take out the three goblin leaders. Are there any other ways to enter the underdark in the current EA build?
I just know you can jump down some holes to get there
Yes, go to the Spider Matriarch cave under the Blighted Village.

Have your party stand on the web at the bottom of the Matriarch's lair and destroy the web you're standing on.

You will fall into the Underdark and die...unless you use a Featherfall spell, in which case you will be treated to a cool cutscene where you float down.

Also, FYI on romance:

It seems like you get a chance to bone all the companions at/near the end of act 1. Maybe you need the points to do it, not sure.

But Astarion made a (slightly drunken) pass at my male character without my ever flirting with him.

And the Gith seemed extremely pissy that I wanted to sleep with Shadowheart and not her and basically said she would screw Astarion out of spite.

These are all evil characters though, they tend to move pretty quickly and directly.

I didn’t bother talking to the black guy, whom I never even really let join me, or the Wizard, as I killed him the moment I met him.
Wow.... just wow. who ever came up with the cucksquad nickname was spot on.
Basically, yeah. There's major cuck potential from all the romance options in early access.

I don't find Shadowheart much different from Viconia in BG2 though.

And remember that Aerie can actually cuck the player in BG2.

Also, Jaheira literally cucks her coward husband, leaves him for dead and immediately goes full cougar and tries to bone <Charname>.

Is this game shit like I expected or is it not bad?
It's pretty decent. Decline is still there and the companions are DA: Origins quality (for better or for worse), but ftmp it's good.

Vatnik Wumao
So, I blocked the vents in the crypt, but then I get killed by fireballs once I retrieve the sword. What am I doing wrong?

Also did a perception check and saw the gargoyle heads beforehand, but pressing that button on the wall did nothing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So, I blocked the vents in the crypt, but then I get killed by fireballs once I retrieve the sword. What am I doing wrong?

Also did a perception check and saw the gargoyle heads beforehand, but pressing that button on the wall did nothing.
Don't even bother with that shit. Loot the room,position a character next to the exit door,loot the trapped sarcophagus and just leave.

Or just disarm all the traps.

The fireballs can all be disarmed (except for one in the corner that's blocked by rubble), as can the vents iirc.

Vatnik Wumao

The fireballs can all be disarmed (except for one in the corner that's blocked by rubble), as can the vents iirc.
Pretty sure that I didn't get the option for disarming when selecting the gargoyle heads. Gonna try again with the vampirefag.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
What are the references? Other than the book about Space Hamsters .

- Names of cities like BG and Waterdeep. Every other character mentions the city of Baldur's Gate and it's completely infuriating.
- Names of gods and the associated lore. The Dead Three etc.
- There's also at least one character in BG3 that also appeared in BG1.
The bard Volo

Pretty sure that I didn't get the option for disarming when selecting the gargoyle heads. Gonna try again with the vampirefag.
I disarmed all the heads, but you need to pass a perception roll to see them as traps.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ah yes, the tried and true approach of ignoring mechanics.
Well you get nothing from disarming it,there is no XP gain from skill checks and such. It is a waste of time trying to disarm like 20 traps. Just take the shit and run for it.

Last edited:

So is it shit? Does it even feel like a bg game?

It's a Larian game with a DnD coat of paint. You either like their design or you don't.

Half of their shitty design is gone though because of 5e, so that's a plus. Definitely plays better than DiV2 already.
And the other half is gone because they're imitating BG1&2 and working on a storyline WotC likely had a massive hand in creating and don't have free reign to make up their own campy storyline riddled with bad jokes that make you sorry you bought the game.

It's like "how to make a real RPG" training wheels for a company that's mainly focused on making combat games with flimsy storylines for the past decade.

And the best part is that they really are learning. So many stat checks and rolls in dialog and outside of it. Not making a single perception roll can make a big difference in your game a certain area.

I'd high five Swen IRL for it if he wouldn't be so butthurt about me being a Holocaust denier or whatever. :M

Drakortha

Liturgist
What are the references? Other than the book about Space Hamsters .

- Names of cities like BG and Waterdeep. Every other character mentions the city of Baldur's Gate and it's completely infuriating.
- Names of gods and the associated lore. The Dead Three etc.
- There's also at least one character in BG3 that also appeared in BG1.
The bard Volo

Welcome to 2020 where this is what constitutes a sequel to a classic franchise. Take Fallout, for instance. Fallout 4 has Super Mutants, Raiders, Ghouls, and Vaults. All the trademarks that make it a faithful entry in a beloved series. Star Wars get's Darth Vader & Skywalker, and with BG3 we see a colorful return of all our favorite characters, just hanging around waiting for you to meet with them. I'm sure they have plenty to say about their lives since the good ol days! and of course we can expect some obligatory reminiscing of their past adventures with the Bhaalspawn.

Welcome to 2020 where this is what constitutes a sequel to a classic franchise. Take Fallout, for instance. Fallout 4 has Super Mutants, Raiders, Ghouls, and Vaults. All the trademarks that make it a faithful entry in a beloved series. Star Wars get's Darth Vader & Skywalker, and with BG3 we see a colorful return of all our favorite characters, just hanging around waiting for you to meet with them. I'm sure they have plenty to say about their lives since the good ol days! and of course we can expect some obligatory reminiscing of their past adventures with the Bhaalspawn.
Again, Minsc and Volo being alive is from WotC, not Larian.

The question isn't why they would include them, it's why wouldn't they?

Codex Year of the Donut
The question isn't why they would include them, it's why wouldn't they?

To try to do something original. But that probably didn't cross their mind when they were thinking about what to include in the CONSUMER PRODUCT.
you mean like when they created one of the best selling cRPGs of all time and essentially singlehandedly revived turn-based cRPGs?

jac8awol

Arbiter
My favourite part of BG 3 early access was when one of the party members comes out as black, and you realize he's been black the whole time, just no one ever realized, and he's still the same cool, rational bro, so no one cares. And then another party member comes out as gay, and we realize there's a reason that he was slightly less rational all this time, but hey we need him if we are gonna have a balanced party.

Codex Year of the Donut
My favourite part of BG 3 early access was when one of the party members comes out as black, and you realize he's been black the whole time, just no one ever realized, and he's still the same cool, rational bro, so no one cares. And then another party member comes out as gay, and we realize there's a reason that he was slightly less rational all this time, but hey we need him if we are gonna have a balanced party.
you can sell the fag to a monster hunter

Narax

Educated
Knowing Larian, even if they included characters from BG1 and 2 they will be nothing like their former selves.

They will probably make them say some shitty pop culture references, and a joke or two from the original series.

It's nothing more than desperate fanservice, like the game's title.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Knowing Larian, even if they included characters from BG1 and 2 they will be nothing like their former selves.

They will probably make them say some shitty pop culture references, and a joke or two from the original series.

It's nothing more than desperate fanservice, like the game's title.

Can't get worse than Siege of Dragonspear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom