Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sarathiour

Cipher
Tieflings are one of those "You better have a fucking good reason before I allow you to play one" races. When properly played, everyone despises them.

But of course 5th edition is pozzed to hell so "they're just people too" and everyone is tolerant. Bah.

Having a whole village of tiefling within crusading distance is beyond retarded. Being the spawn of an evil god was already a huge deal in bg1 and 2, but being literally a spawn of devil ? People will try to crucificate you on a daily basis.
Also, was there some kind of major demon infestation to explain that ?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What I do advocate for is removing feat bloat from party-based games, e.g. all those talents and abilities in Pillars of Eternity were a mistake.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I'd say the opposite is a problem - not enough useful feats and abilities. At level 5-6 in PoE, you already have basically everything you need for your planned build, it's "choose the least shit options" city after that with a few exceptions. It is true there are too many active abilities for a real time game, however, you should concentrate on passives and itemization when making a huge mistake real time with pause RPG.

Also, was there some kind of major demon infestation to explain that ?
Warlock ritual causing everyone with a drop of devil/demon blood to transform into an Asmodean Tiefling.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Oh, I'm not a Gygax purist myself. I agree that the attribute system is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen and 3e made the right move in making it something anyone can understand without having to consult a chart every time or putting forth the effort into memorizing six different progression tables for six different attributes.
“Hurr hurr you just add duh points to duh character and he better now!”

:nocountryforshitposters:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Warlock ritual causing everyone with a drop of devil/demon blood to transform into an Asmodean Tiefling.
Ok, was this an in game thing just for this village or a world thing with 5e?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
No need to imagine now

loveyoubaldursgate.jpg

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The game has so much reactivity for early access. Playing as a lolth cleric drow everybody is running screaming from me. Evil faction assumes i am on their side just because i am drow. All spiders are friendly to me and help me in fights. It is superior to kingmaker. In kingmaker, you can play as a tiefling and ask another tiefling what is a tiefling, total bullshit. You race has no effect on conversation at all in kingmaker. And this is just early access, i cannot wait to see the full reactivity in full release.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I mean the whole thing is a refugee camp with maybe ~25 tieflings from the city of Elturel + surrounding area which has a population of 17k according to the wiki. I don't think that really that much.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is a bad post because it's wrong. In no way is 2nd edition more complex than 5th edition when it comes to character building, which is what you're talking about.

I wasn't referring only to character creation, but how the rules overall are implemented. You might be right about 5th edition being systemically more complex, but I'd still argue BG3 doesn't offer players as many meaningful choices with regards to character development as especially BG2 did. In BG3 you're given a preset number of points to distribute instead of rolling for stats, which leads to every character having nearly identical stats. During a level up in BG3 I've only had the choice of new spells and sometimes a special skill. That's it, nothing else. I can't choose to develop one thief skill instead of another. I can't choose to increase my skill with a particular weapon - instead everyone can use a wide variety of weapons. Now in BG3 you also lack the ability to choose to develop skills the way you did in 3rd edition. As a result, in BG3 all characters of a particular class will ultimately end up looking like cardboard copies.

But you're right, lack of complexity is not the reason why BG3 doesn't live up to the expectations of the fans of BG series.

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
IIRC Tiefling being much more common is a 5E thing and not Larians fault, it's still stupid though. I could be misremembering.
4e, technically. It was then that Wizards added Tieflings and Dragonborn as core races in every setting. It's a shame that they didn't retcon everything out of those dark times when they started retconning stuff for 5e.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Nothing wrong with it, but the best tea is black tea (preferably one of the 'smokey' variants, drank without sugar and with some added milk).

Agreed. I eventually put a dash of honey in green tea, but black is the superior choice.

Please don't take my last statement out of context.

Vatnik Wumao
The game has so much reactivity for early access. Playing as a lolth cleric drow everybody is running screaming from me. Evil faction assumes i am on their side just because i am drow. All spiders are friendly to me and help me in fights. It is superior to kingmaker. In kingmaker, you can play as a tiefling and ask another tiefling what is a tiefling, total bullshit. You race has no effect on conversation at all in kingmaker. And this is just early access, i cannot wait to see the full reactivity in full release.
I can't wait to play as a Duergar, although I doubt that it'll have too much reactivity beyond maybe people thinking that you are evil and other Dwarves hating your guts.

Haven't reached the Underdark yet, but I'm guessing that there's a Duergar village there which we can visit?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think you're supposed to sweeten Chinese or Japanese green tea. Then again, you do you.

If you like to sweeten your tea I think you should stick to black tea.

Oh, and try Moroccan mint tea. It's delightful. That is the exception; you can sweeten that. It's incredible.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
All spiders are friendly to me and help me in fights. It is superior to kingmaker.

So you can just walk straight through the phase spider cave? That's quite a nice touch.

Not only walk freely, you can convince the matriach to help u in the goblin fort fight, but u have to visit the fort first and agree to kill the leaders, you then go back to phase sppider cave and talk to matriach, go back to goblin fort and open the spider gates in the dungeon. I just used stealth and opened the gate and the spider horde massacred everyone inside. It is even more funny because as a lolth cleric u can warn the drow heretic that lolth wrath will come soon for abandoning her for the absolute. It was glorious i just hid the entire party and watched spiders kill everyone.

I only got the beginner's box of 5e, so please don't flame me but shouldn't the proficiency bonus of (sub)race and chosen background stack? I've just tried to max stealth bonus.

Dex: +3 bonus
Background: urban vigilante +2 stealth
Race/subrace: lightfoot halfling +2 stealth

Yet I only come out with a +5 bonus on stealth.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I only got the beginner's box of 5e, so please don't flame me but shouldn't the proficiency bonus of (sub)race and chosen background stack? I've just tried to max stealth bonus.

Proficiencies can't "stack". Either you are proficient in something or you aren't. If you are proficient in stealth thanks to your race, you should select a different skill for your background.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No.

I mean, you could, if you want to make a video game. But in 5th edition, no. If your background gives you a proficiency you already have from your race you instead get to pick proficiency in any skill you like.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I don't know noticed anyone or not, but elf vampire takes damage while attempting to cross river near owlbear's cave. I don't know it was a bug or actually nice touch (undead kinda not in favour of crossing running water, at least in some legends). Now I tempted to return and make this vampiric bastard to drown for death.

Btw, is there any way in current version of game to hire normal characters instead of traitors that want to backstab you?

Xamenos

Magister
Patron

In 5e you are either proficient in a skill or you are not. It doesn't matter if you got this proficiency from your background or from your race. Choosing the same one for both does nothing, you'd better pick something else for one of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom