Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
In a vacuum, these aren't huge changes, but together? Uncanny Luck + Exalted Focus is already 20%. So you hit more often, and cast all those spells faster. Spiritual Weapons is retardedly good in the beginning where the game is hardest.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In a vacuum, these aren't huge changes, but together? Uncanny Luck + Exalted Focus is already 20%. So you hit more often, and cast all those spells faster. Spiritual Weapons is retardedly good in the beginning where the game is hardest.

Actually, Uncanny Luck + Exalted Focus is 19% hit-to-crit conversion. These conversions are not stacked additively, they are tested separately, with each additional one having less impact. So if you already have 50% hit-to-crit, another +10% will effectively only improve your odds by 5%.

And well, do you honestly think a 5% chance ability is interesting or worth using?

Lacrymas

Arcane
And well, do you honestly think a 5% chance ability is interesting or worth using?
We've been using them since forever, it's called a +1 in D&D. What do you mean by "interesting" in this context? Is +2/10% more interesting? It's effectively the same thing in terms of gameplay. Immediately getting a +2 weapon in D&D seems ...premature.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
There are no hit-to-crit conversions in D&D as far as I'm aware. Apples to oranges.
Certainly not same thing as a +2 weapon, as you need to hit first, to get a chance to convert.

Also if you really insist to compare, compare the base effect of Exalted Focus, +5 Accuracy with Weapon Focus +1 AB. A feat I'd never take if it wasn't a prerequisite for some other feats I may like (like Shatter Defenses in case of Pathfinder).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started to play this again, since I was in the mood for more fantasy stuff after Pathfinder, and well, I have not played the dlcs. I picked turn-based, and in the beginning it was all well and good. Some challenge, not too hard though. But after doing a lot of quests in the main city, the game has become a slog in TB mode. It's like endless wave of trash mobs, and very seldom do they provide any challenge. I really wish there was a way to switch to real-time just for these fights because it's zapping all enjoyment. The damage is so low too, so even the tiniest creatures takes a lot of turns to kill, especially when you run out of the caster nukes.

Anyone here gone through the whole game on tb-mode and not gone insane?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Don't go TB, it's a trap. I'm sure a lot of cool fights are good in TB, but I'm not convinced they are worth slogging through the rest of the game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, I did. But I recommend real-time since then.

At least I had a solid nuking potential with a Bloodmage/Assassin.

Yeah, I might replay this again and I'm wondering if a party heavy on alpha strike nukers would make the TB mode more tolerable. That's kind of how I've been rolling with PF:KM, with an arcane trickster, eccles, pounce barb etc. On fights where I'm not being miserly with resources I just bombard everyone on the first turn and save myself a bunch of mook animations.

bec de corbin

Educated
Yeah, there's fights that I imagine would just be insufferable to get through in the turn-based mode. I didn't manage to get too far before getting bored the one time I tried it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, I might replay this again and I'm wondering if a party heavy on alpha strike nukers would make the TB mode more tolerable. That's kind of how I've been rolling with PF:KM, with an arcane trickster, eccles, pounce barb etc. On fights where I'm not being miserly with resources I just bombard everyone on the first turn and save myself a bunch of mook animations.
It largely works... most of the time.

But some enemies are highly bullet spongy and difficult to burst down fast in Turn Based mode.

Perkel

Arcane
is there any good gameplay mod pack working with latest version of game ?

Suicidal

Arcane
Started to play this again, since I was in the mood for more fantasy stuff after Pathfinder, and well, I have not played the dlcs. I picked turn-based, and in the beginning it was all well and good. Some challenge, not too hard though. But after doing a lot of quests in the main city, the game has become a slog in TB mode. It's like endless wave of trash mobs, and very seldom do they provide any challenge. I really wish there was a way to switch to real-time just for these fights because it's zapping all enjoyment. The damage is so low too, so even the tiniest creatures takes a lot of turns to kill, especially when you run out of the caster nukes.

Anyone here gone through the whole game on tb-mode and not gone insane?

I'm somewhere half way through the game on turn-based and I don't mind it too much. The only fights I intensely dislike are those where the game throws a lot of slow-moving tanky mobs at you, like those fat zombies in Neketaka underground. Most other fights don't take too long for me and turn based mode really does make certain encounters interesting (especially those where correct positioning makes a difference).

Drakortha

Liturgist
Deadfire is 50% off on Steam, thinking about finally getting it. I didn't finish PoE 1 but I did play a good chunk of it and enjoyed it. I probably played around 80 hours of that game, but finding it hard to get back into it again if I'm honest. PoE2 yes or no?

Vatnik Wumao
Deadfire is 50% off on Steam, thinking about finally getting it. I didn't finish PoE 1 but I did play a good chunk of it and enjoyed it. I probably played around 80 hours of that game, but finding it hard to get back into it again if I'm honest. PoE2 yes or no?
If you get it, do it for the combat and not the plot.

Drakortha

Liturgist

How's the side content? I can live with average main plot if side content is good.

The combat in PoE1 was kind of the weak point for me, so any improvement in that department will be welcome.

Suicidal

Arcane

How's the side content? I can live with average main plot if side content is good.

The combat in PoE1 was kind of the weak point for me, so any improvement in that department will be welcome.

Combat is much better than in PoE1. I'd go as far as to say this is the best combat I've seen from Obsidian (not a very high bar sure, but it's pretty enjoyable). Main plot is kinda whatever so far and I've heard it's very short, but there's tons of side content and the world map is Fallout-style go wherever the fuck you want - another huge improvement over the original. The setting is cool too and some of the sidequests and world lore are interesting. Companions are a downgrade from the original. Nothing as good as Durance in the game and for some reason they picked some of the most boring ones (Aloth, Pallegina) to make a comeback.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Seems like a steal then for just $20, I'll probably pick it up this weekend. Thanks for the info.
With the Obsidian Edition, you get the three DLCs for (I think) $4. Beast of Winter and The Forgotten Sanctum are very well worth $2 each. If you want to skip parts of the game, don't skip the DLCs' areas.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Sounds like your mind is already made up but I'd also say go for it.
The main plot is bad, companions are mostly worse than Pillars 1. Overall I'd say:
White March > Deadfire (outside the main plot but including DLCs) > Pillars 1 >>> Deadfire's main plot

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
The side content isn't much better than the main plot & quest. A lot of it feels anemic and truncated, leaving me left to wonder "Is that it?" when I'd complete a quest.

The only two really good parts of the base game are exploring the Old City and infiltrating Fort Deadlight. Everything else ranges from mediocre to okay-ish.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What if someone cuts the HP of enemies in half? Would that make Turn-Based better?

What suggestions that someone could accomplish by tweaking numbers would make TB better? Sadly I don't think it's possible to change the AMOUNT of enemies or encounters via modding, the only way to get less enemies is to play on Story Mode or Normal and NOT use the scaling options, but I think that amount of encounters is already considered too many for TB mode, right?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
the only way to get less enemies
upload_2020-10-12_18-8-32.png

But yes otherwise I think that if TB mode cut HP in half (perhaps for both the player and the enemy, since HP is per-encounter in Deadfire) it would help make it feel like much less of a slog.

Last edited:
Or make sure your party does 2x the damage of a normie party. It's good to have goals. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom