Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jf8350143

Liturgist
Tried Nalia once and it weirded me out how similar her voice is to Viconia's. Sometimes when I click on her and she asks "how can I help" I have to double check I didn't click on Viccy (even though that's something she would never say).
No shit. Same actress, in case you weren't sarcastic.
Underdark looks pretty neat, except it's quite... dark.

Can't really see what's going on and where is the road.
That's cool actually because you have to rely on something like infra-vision or spells or torches. Drow vision is the best. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're also fucked in combat if you do not have any of those, just like in Pf:K.
I'm not talking about in combat you get disadvantage for not having dark vision. I'm talking about the game as a whole. It's too dark to see what's on the screen at some of the areas. You have to move your character there to light it up.

Mortmal

Arcane
So, what people are telling me is to wait for the definitive edition to come out.
This is the case for every games , you will get it in 2-3 years at discount completely patched and rebalanced . But we are impatient , with too much time in our hands.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I just want Shadowheart to suck my dick already. This bitch is just beating around the bush. DO YOU WANNA FUCK OR NOT. IT'S BECAUSE I'M A BLACK AS NIGHT DROW, AIN'T IT? JUST SAY IT, SURFACE-SLUT.

FUCK.

Should've gone Halfling. Bitch probably got a crushing fetish.
She doesn't want to suck your gross hairy spider proboscis or whatever the fuck it is you have, webcel!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

lol, I haven't played much 5e so I didn't realize that elves came with weapons training, including longswords.

My new warlock is apparently a witcher. :M

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
lol, I haven't played much 5e so I didn't realize that elves came with weapon's training, including longswords.

My new warlock is apparently a witcher. :M
I'm pretty sure it says that during character creation, doesn't it?
Dwarves also get axe, hammer, and medium armor proficiencies irrespective of their class.

lol, I haven't played much 5e so I didn't realize that elves came with weapon's training, including longswords.
Wasn't that the same in 3.5 and other versions?
I usually only play humans and just make elves for a laugh tbh.

Ironically, the only other race I would really want to play is a mindflayer. :M

Also, I barely remember 3e and never looked at 4e after hearing all the dumb stuff they were doing with it.

edit: now that I look at it, the player's handbook says they got a proficiency bonus even in 2e.

I really wanted this to be about the fact that I accidentally made elf Ciri and not that I'm a boomer who doesn't know what he's talking about...

Last edited by a moderator:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I did introduction with human warrior and Dorf cleric of Kelemvor, had to quit playing cause game is so badly optimised now it takes ten minutes to load saves on first beach map same as with Kingmaker before, so far it plays more like DOS3 than Baldurs Gate but they did dialogues less ''funny'' and also loot is not diablo random generated shit so... Good game on its own if you again play it as Divine Divinity sequel, will wait for polished, patched and better optimized version to play more though.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Went back and checked, some of them can be killed and others can't. I am not sure what is the distinction between can and can't.

I did introduction with human warrior and Dorf cleric of Kelemvor, had to quit playing cause game is so badly optimised now it takes ten minutes to load saves on first beach map same as with Kingmaker before, so far it plays more like DOS3 than Baldurs Gate but they did dialogues less ''funny'' and also loot is not diablo random generated shit so... Good game on its own if you again play it as Divine Divinity sequel.
You've hardly played at all if all you've seen is the beach.

But yes, loading takes about a minute on my ssd. And it's more than double the speed of what it was at launch.

Actually, if you're playing a pirated copy, you're probably still on an old version, so make sure you at least have the first few patches.

Went back and checked, some of them can be killed and others can't. I am not sure what is the distinction between can and can't.
Maybe they have some purpose in the story? Odd. Well, at least they run and don't go agro even if you hit them.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Let's say some guy from 2001 just finished Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, had his main man impregnate his elven wife before ascending to godhood. Then the player goes out for a smoke and gets hit by a truck. He's now in a coma for 19 years. He comes out of it and asks the fine denizens of https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...now-available-on-early-access.135311/page-112 about this new Baldur's Gate game.

How could you even break it to the man that THIS game is the sequel?

Black

Arcane
Let's say some guy from 2001 just finished Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, had his main man impregnate his elven wife before ascending to godhood. Then the player goes out for a smoke and gets hit by a truck. He's now in a coma for 19 years. He comes out of it and asks the fine denizens of https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...now-available-on-early-access.135311/page-112 about this new Baldur's Gate game.

"Yo, buddy, your favourite rpg franchise finally has role playing mechanics that aren't about killing kobolds".

By showing him what Fallout 3 looks like first.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
The biggest detractions to the game that can be fixed have been discussed. Larian better be looking.
  • Dice rolls are optimally gamed through save-scumming. But if you don't save scum, you can barely roleplay the character you want to RP because you simply lose as much as you win.
  • Jumping around half the map in and outside combat at level 1 in this setting is goofy. Gaining Levitation or some gliding effect after some serious effort is cool but flying around everywhere immediately is nonsense
  • Item menu and icons in general. Portraits as discussed look like naked mug shots. Compare the UI to PFK and know this is dogshit for a 2mil sales game
  • Early story stakes. Mindflayer kidnapping a literal who rando, then sending him to Hell doesn't give the player any emotional stake into the story. I don't care at all about all these dragons flying around or traveling around. It's cheap, gaudy bombast, and it completely relies on outside sources to give any weight to the story.
  • Turn-based combat on trash takes forever. Give me a break. I already played DOS and DOS2, I don't need to slog through more worthless encounters with the same engine. Less trash, more meaning.

Dice rolls are optimally gamed through save-scumming. But if you don't save scum, you can barely roleplay the character you want to RP because you simply lose as much as you win.
Eh. I don't know. I think if they simply lowered the starting difficulty on certain rolls, it might be fine.
Jumping around half the map in and outside combat at level 1 in this setting is goofy. Gaining Levitation or some gliding effect after some serious effort is cool but flying around everywhere immediately is nonsense
Jumping is a bit OP, but you have to at times because there's no climbing on certain objects. Could be fixed.
Item menu and icons in general. Portraits as discussed look like naked mug shots. Compare the UI to PFK and know this is dogshit for a 2mil sales game
It's early access. :roll:
Early story stakes. Mindflayer kidnapping a literal who rando, then sending him to Hell doesn't give the player any emotional stake into the story. I don't care at all about all these dragons flying around or traveling around. It's cheap, gaudy bombast, and it completely relies on outside sources to give any weight to the story.
That's what the parasite is for. And of course the MYSTERY of who is behind everything.
Turn-based combat on trash takes forever. Give me a break. I already played DOS and DOS2, I don't need to slog through more worthless encounters with the same engine. Less trash, more meaning.
Except there are no trash mobs. About the closest you get to that is the goblin fortress and you don't need to take on the whole fortress.

And yes, turn-based combat takes forever. And we like it that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom