Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Also lol urgency Lambchop19 ,fucking fanboy lol. It is a pile of pixels,normal people don't experience urgency because something will happen in a game,they experience annoyance that they have missed on something. Get a fucking life you loser!
You seem upset. :M

“It’s a pile of pixels” doesn’t stop devs from writing stories and giving dialog to them. It’s almost like suspension of disbelief is part of an fiction.

And I’m not the one who spends his day arguing about a game he already uninstalled. If anyone needs a life it’s you, bro.
Actually i am a bit upset. Not about the game or its retarded mechanics,but about the reaction on the codex. It is shameful how people fall for that garbage. I wouldn't have minded if there was some actual reasonable discussion,but you people just rabbit fanboys and just shill endlessly,unable to accept any criticism of the game.

The game most likely will be ok in my book. I don't have any deep hatred of it,it is a modern casual game aimed to sell shit ton,just like dos games. Clearly swen is a decent business men that knows how to make money. That doesn't mean the codex have to become a casualtard larping site. If i wanted that shit,i would have made a reddit account or joined reeeeera.
Seriously you are crying about a game (or atleast parts) becoming more hardcore and less casual, that's why you get these types of reaction.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No,as i said,pc games are not tabletop and people that try to make that that are retards i would like to see dead. In table top the dm can adjust to the poor rolls and make it fun or fuck you up if you wanted to roll for some retarded shit. In games you either do it right or you get fucked. Just like the goblin shit,you either get a good fighter character to help you in battle or you don't. It is a pc game,there is pre deterrent path,you either do it the way you want it to do it or you don't. Games are power fantasy in any aspect really,we are not rogues,wizards or fighters,we are middle age dudes that enjoy to experience different stories and worlds. I just want to sit on my ass and experience a whole game,don't mind challenging combat or high skill checks. But i can't stand being rushed doing things and the developer punishing me for using a game mechanics. Timed quest could be good if they are clear about the time restriction and make sense. If i want to get rushed i would just go to work.
To miss the gith you have to rest like two times after a single encounter.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Don't do excuses mate,either hold your own opinions or agree with my points. Half assed shit "oh but you get to experience this shit only IF you do it that amount of time." I dislike the core concept and quest paths,i am not butthurt for happening to me. I did managed to play most of the game without resting. That is not the point.
That's not my point. You get to experience different things depending on what you decide to do and when. If there's a guy holding a kid with a knife to his throat screaming "I'M GOING TO KILL THIS KID I SWEAR TO GOD", and I just walk away without interacting with them, I want to see the fucking kid dead. If I spend 200 years in chapter 2 doing nothing, resting, and fucking around, I WANT TO SEE NPCS DIENG OF OLD AGE
:prosper:
Has corona rotten your fucking brain?! A post ago i just told you that i don't want games to reflect real world and i want them be just fun. Now you are giving me a real world example. Also it doesn't matter if you interact or not with the screaming guy because you are some middle-aged unfit dude that doesn't have the social skills to talk him out of it. I don't want that shit in my games. I want just to be told some interesting story in strange world and not the experience the retardation of the devs larping as artists. If i want reactivity i will fucking go hiking or some other shit. I want to sit,have glass of nice brandy,a good cigar and relax. Also you get punished if you let her be taken away lol,you lose an early access to a capable fighter. Why the fuck i have to write the same fucking post again???? For fuck sake read what i write....or don't,just don't make me repeat me self.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Actually i am a bit upset. Not about the game or its retarded mechanics,but about the reaction on the codex. It is shameful how people fall for that garbage. I wouldn't have minded if there was some actual reasonable discussion,but you people just rabbit fanboys and just shill endlessly,unable to accept any criticism of the game.
I guess you missed the part where I posted itt about how I specifically agreed with a negative Steam review, upvoted it and then gave the guy several awards.

Or the fact that I’ve criticized the game right up until it was released into ea.

Maybe that doesn’t matter though. Maybe you’re going to be disappointed in us because we’re not hardcore ARE PEE GEE players like you and don’t just want to spam the WIN rest button like crazy in some dull, lifeless world where every quest waits for you indefinitely like a ride in an amusement park. :roll:

Let’s just review the chief criticisms of Baldur’s Gate 3, shall we:

“The intro needs to be more boring!”

“Make it less realistic! I want to hit the rest button over and over with no consequences!”

“It should have been a direct sequel to Throne of Bhall!”

All of us supposed fanboys have criticized elements of the game far better than the haters who keep spamming the thread with this drivel.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Let’s just review the chief criticisms of Baldur’s Gate 3, shall we:

“The intro needs to be more boring!”

“Make it less realistic! I want to hit the rest button over and over with no consequences!”

“It should have been a direct sequel to Throne of Bhall!”

All of us supposed fanboys have criticized elements of the game far better than the haters who keep spamming the thread with this drivel.
Fucking lying jew,can you even do anything without lying and twisting the truth,you little cunt!

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I'm talking on a purely emotional level here. If you kill something, you fear it less.
So at the end of the movie Aliens, where they had killed dozens of the things, I guess they didn’t fear the aliens anymore, right?

I suppose you think that the fact that you can go and smother an old man in a nursing home means that violent gang members aren’t to be feared?

Again, all that buildup was for a reason. You being in the position to kill one on its deathbed doesn’t make them any less fearsome. You can put a boot to its head, but it already put a worm in your brain.
You see the aliens bust out of a guy's chest, kill a bunch of good guys, and then finally when all hope seems lost, the boys finish the job. That's the classic flow of the hero story I'm talking about. The lads don't kill the alien before the alien establishes itself as a threat. The story follows a formula. This formula has been around forever. We've been telling the same stories since the dawn of time, just with new bits put in.

Coming from the guy who cites “boring fantasy novels” as examples of good literature.

No offense, but if you wanted me to think you’re sophisticated, you could have cited War and Peace.

It’s a fantasy game about brain sucking aliens and you want a slow start? Ok. How do you want it? How should it have started? You at a farmhouse, shoveling dung, then after a 20 minute tutorial, you get abducted by mine flayers? Or maybe minds flayers are too much. Maybe they need to start you off fighting rats in a pantry like in BG1. Oh wow, such great gameplay. I’m sure that wouldn’t make people refund it. :roll:
Generic fantasy is not War and Peace. Tolstoy is a god of narrative structure. I do not expect, again, the zoomers at Larian to craft the same kind of historical epic. Once you're invested into a story, you don't care whether it's Bioware or Tolstoy. You want to see how the story ends. But I was not thrust into the game, and I want some background. I want the devs to put the MC in the city of Baldur's Gate, doing various origin story shit related to his race/background, and then *BAM* he's abducted by the Nautiloid. That kind of background lets you feel who the character was before his whole life got turned upside down. Introduce the MC a bit. Some implication that the fellow had a life before the mind flayers fucked everything up.

Generally speaking, my main beef is figuring out who my character is. How can I play someone who meets a chick with ugly bangs named Shadowheart, a gay vampire, some barely hot chick who is into femdom, some negro who calls himself the blade of the frontier or something, a bro wizard, and a MC infected with mind AIDS. None of these characters matter to me, and the PC himself has no opportunity to establish himself as anything before being thrust into the adventure.

Codex Year of the Donut
Got to see the EA end video
s420.gif

I've done two mostly finished playthroughs now and I really enjoy what I've seen so far. Loads of reactivity, and you can see the game constantly setting up more reactivity in the future(content not yet released) with your decisions.
good combat, good writing, great reactivity, good exploration. Itemization is actually good unlike DOS1/2. The currently available EA content is probably about 3x as long as DOS2 Fort Joy+Island, and that's not counting taking opposite paths in quests(e.g., I haven't tried siding with the gobbos yet)
Larian has always done a great job at quest design, they give you an objective and tell you to figure out how to get there on your own. I expect out of the box thinking to work so much that I get surprised when it doesn't work. BG3 didn't disappoint at all, if anything it's even better.

I'm sure the usual suspects will continue to find nonsense reasons to hate a game they haven't played to show how cool they are.

the assassin in the druid grove will kill some of the refugees if you don't kill him the first time you're there btw
I have not personally tried this, but I would not be surprised if the kid dies to the harpies if you don't help him early enough either. What I do know however, is that if you side with the goblins and clear out the refugee camp before chasing the owlbear, it disappears.
I didn't find out about the harpies until later in my first playthrough, when I went there the kid was already dead.

BTW, EA end video seemed to suggest they'll be adding more story-related content as the EA progresses rather than just leaving it at only act 1.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
You can throw healing potions at allies to heal them btw
Yeah who would have thought that breaking bottles in someone's head is a legit healing technique. We all had lived in a lie,thinking that the potion you drink from the bottle is the healing power,but in reality it is the bottle that heals you while the potion in it is for show.

giphy.gif
The bottle actually does damage if you hit your ally with it directly. So they'll take a bit of damage + be healed.

You see the aliens bust out of a guy's chest, kill a bunch of good guys, and then finally when all hope seems lost, the boys finish the job. That's the classic flow of the hero story I'm talking about. The lads don't kill the alien before the alien establishes itself as a threat. The story follows a formula. This formula has been around forever. We've been telling the same stories since the dawn of time, just with new bits put in.
You’re talking about the formula of a horror movie. And btw, that’s not the plot of Aliens. They kill a shitton of them through the movie. Especially with the turrets near the middle-ish.

Generic fantasy is not War and Peace.
It’s also not “sophisticated”.

Your word, not mine.

Once you're invested into a story, you don't care whether it's Bioware or Tolstoy. You want to see how the story ends. But I was not thrust into the game, and I want some background. I want the devs to put the MC in the city of Baldur's Gate, doing various origin story shit related to his race/background, and then *BAM* he's abducted by the Nautiloid. That kind of background lets you feel who the character was before his whole life got turned upside down. Introduce the MC a bit. Some implication that the fellow had a life before the mind flayers fucked everything up.
Except the game did show that. The nautaloid swooped in and picked up a bunch of people who were just living their lives in Baldur’s Gate. You were one of them.

You want an opening vignette...like Dragon Age: Origins... (As if I haven’t already compared the fame to it enough.)

But that’s not this game. Not at this point anyway. This game is meant to simulate and PnP experience where you roll your own character. You don’t need to have the background the devs say you do (other than that you were in Baldur’s Gate where you are abducted). Why do you need a dev to show you your character had a life? Why should the dev force his opinion of what that life was upon you?

There are the origins starts where you can play as one of the party members and maybe those will have some vignettes though. Who knows.

But there’s little point to doing a vignette when everyone has the same start - being abducted by the Illithid suddenly. No reason to waste the budget and bore the majority of your audience because a “sophisticated” gamer wants more foreplay before he’ll give the game a chance.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't tell if the main story is/will be good or not but I like all the companion story premises so far, seems there'll be a good arc for all of them. I don't know about FR much but they all seem to be tied to interesting subjects in the lore. Also I like how the narrative's progressing, most everyone we meet are trying to get to BG, and most of them are from BG; there'll be tons of reactivity from EA in the city, it'll be insane in the final game... or at least I hope so.
In that interview that was last posted, Swen explains that in the EA they added the neutral and evil companions because they wanted to give players a taste of them, since most players tend to pick only the good-aligned companions. This sounds promising, because if only the evil and neutral are seven, then we'll probably get something like 12-15 companions total.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Generic fantasy is not War and Peace. Tolstoy is a god of narrative structure. I do not expect, again, the zoomers at Larian to craft the same kind of historical epic.
:nocountryforshitposters:
yet you expect some fat modern jew to get it?
Bro, I just want to feel excited to dive into a new RPG. To power up and save some pure elven babe before slamming her within the bond of holy and everlasting matrimony. But this one just makes me wonder what the fuck is going on.
You’re talking about the formula of a horror movie. And btw, that’s not the plot of Aliens. They kill a shitton of them through the movie. Especially with the turrets near the middle-ish.

Generic fantasy is not War and Peace.
It’s also not “sophisticated”.

Your word, not mine.

But there’s little point to doing a vignette when everyone has the same start - being abducted by the Illithid suddenly. No reason to waste the budget and bore the majority of your audience because a “sophisticated” gamer wants more foreplay before he’ll give the game a chance.
One, if you don't want to be an elitist snob, what are you doing on this board? Two, stories make you feel different emotions. Stories often manipulate your emotions according to preset arcs. I'm not talking about any particular genre, like horror or action or drama. Stories generally follow acts with rising conflict, subduing resolution, some kind of threat, and then finally resolving most things. Generally, when you overload the front with the third act's exciting elements, you lose some of the boys' investment. This is basic writing. What I'm saying is I want to be emotionally invested in the story. This desire is innate, obvious, inherent. The lack of desire isn't my fault, and it's not necessarily the writers'. It's subjective. But it definitely could be helped by the writers doing a bit of structural work.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I can't tell if the main story is/will be good or not but I like all the companion story premises so far, seems there'll be a good arc for all of them. I don't know about FR much but they all seem to be tied to interesting subjects in the lore. Also I like how the narrative's progressing, most everyone we meet are trying to get to BG, and most of them are from BG; there'll be tons of reactivity from EA in the city, it'll be insane in the final game... or at least I hope so.
In that interview that was last posted, Swen explains that in the EA they added the neutral and evil companions because they wanted to give players a taste of them, since most players tend to pick only the good-aligned companions. This sounds promising, because if only the evil and neutral are seven, then we'll probably get something like 12-15 companions total.
At least it give us a good reason to not pick them when the game comes out.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Bro, I just want to feel excited to dive into a new RPG. To power up and save some pure elven babe before slamming her within the bond of holy and everlasting matrimony. But this one just makes me wonder what the fuck is going on.
Yeah,he really makes me turn off from the game. There is nothing worst than a bunch of toxic fanboys screeching like retards.

Eh, it seems more like 9. I forget. rusty_shackleford knows the number.

Anyway, Gale and the nblack guy are neutral. As is the tiefling whose life you can save.

Astarion, Shadowheart and the Gith are all evil.

So who is the 7th you’re talking about?

BarbequeMasta

Learned

Anyway, Gale and the nblack guy are neutral. As is the tiefling whose life you can save.

Wasn Minsc confirmed to be playable here from files, or is it fake news?

Codex Year of the Donut

Shadowheart is definitely closer to neutral.
I've seen the quote about evil companions a few times and I haven't seen a source for it. I don't like it, but I'm afraid they won't be adding that many more companions.

Generally, when you overload the front with the third act's exciting elements, you lose some of the boys' investment.
I agree with this. Flying through Baldur’s Gate, Avernus, a frozen wasteland and then unceremoniously dumped on a beach to deal with...goblins?

But I, and most people, tend to treat the intro as a preview of things to come.

And I think we’ll find it very much is. This game will likely take us through at least two of those locations. Maybe more in an expansion.

We already get to see spider infested caves, the Underdark, an ancient temple, a Druid grove, a hag’s bog, a ruined village, a mindflayer ship.

It’s the slow start you talked about, only with a preview at the beginning.

Like you said thought, it’s subjective. But 85% of the million people that bought it seem to like it, so...

Vatnik Wumao

Shadowheart is definitely closer to neutral.
I've seen the quote about evil companions a few times and I haven't seen a source for it. I don't like it, but I'm afraid they won't be adding that many more companions.
Evil or not, the companions seem decent so far. Particularly like the narcissistic wizard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom