Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

(Help Wanted) Darkstone: Evil Reigns Master Thread (Help, Patching and Modding)

Ithamar

Literate
I would prefer option 3. A command line to pick method 1, 2 or both.

Cool, I'm just in the middle of a Darkstone Web update, but when I'm done with that I'll update the "mtf" tool to add that. It will likely be tonight or tomorrow evening.

Ithamar

Literate
Golden-Dragon Okay, so the first step has been done, I just published a new version of Darkstone-tools where you can pass multiple directories to "mtf create" (like the option 1 I described in my post). I ran out of time to do the command line option tonight, but it will come in the upcoming week.

This at least now makes it possible to create the MTF structure you wanted ;)

Golden-Dragon

Novice
Do I have to rerun the command the update?
What is the exact command line? I was not able to include multiple directories yet. I will try it later on, if I can get some time.

Ithamar

Literate
Yes, you'll need to run the install command again, "nom install -g @game3dee/darkstone-tools" should do it. No auto-update implemented yet :D

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did anyone of you did play the Darkstone Android port from 2014? Is there a difference compare to the PC/PSX version? Did they change anything at all or is it just a straight port with no bug fixes. I'm curious if there is some kind of improvement.:P
I remember it had microtransactions, for gold and stuff. Don't think it changed too much over the main game, and probably had it's share of crashes too.

Golden-Dragon

Novice
I remember it had microtransactions, for gold and stuff. Don't think it changed too much over the main game, and probably had it's share of crashes too.
Yeah, I forgot to mention some differences:P. Here it is:

- Auto-save. Every time you load or enter a new zone, the game saves automatically.

- Auto-pick for gold.

- Gold does not fill the inventory. Has a separate place.

- Auto-use for Quest item if you have them in the inventory.

- The World map has markers for NPCs/Quest Events/Dungeons/every little thing to explore.

- Better Quest log. Finished quests are gray out. Main quest have bigger markers. Side quests marker's are smaller. Quest log also tells you which NPC you have to talk to.

- NPCs have a marker for sub quests in town. (Melchoir' Medallion) If the quest item is in the inventory you just need to speak to NPC. The game automatically turns the Quest item in.

- Inventory with a weight system. Every item has a different weight.

- Inventory is bigger and has a slider. You can scroll it up and down.

- There is a Stash for items you can purchase with Real Money. In-game shop called Boutique (Micro transaction)

- New Artworks for characters, items but all character/item models are the same as in the PC version.

- New UI

- A new belt slot for scrolls

Last edited:

Golden-Dragon

Novice
I bet there is more, but I did not have much time to research it. I will test dig into the mobile version more, if I get some free time.

Golden-Dragon

Novice
Yes, you'll need to run the install command again, "nom install -g @game3dee/darkstone-tools" should do it. No auto-update implemented yet :D
I was able to include all the different language files into one single voices.mtf. It works perfectly. I love it. Thank you:D

Ithamar

Literate
I was able to include all the different language files into one single voices.mtf. It works perfectly. I love it. Thank you:D

Great, and thanks for testing, as I only did pretty limited testing on it to be honest ;)

Ithamar

Literate
Justt to show what a Darkstone noob I am, I just had the Monolith appear in my first playthrough (level ~20) :P Loving the sudden rain/storm vibes :D

It just makes me love this game even more, and motivates me greatly to continue on this remake, and modernize it!

Also, Golden-Dragon, every time I play I notice gripes with the game that you have suggested fixes for in your list, awesome :D :D

Golden-Dragon

Novice
Yea, Darkstone was head of it's time. There is even PVP in Multiplayer online games for 2 players.

Also, Golden-Dragon, every time I play I notice gripes with the game that you have suggested fixes for in your list, awesome :D :D

Thanks, and that was just around 20%ish. Are these suggested fixes even possible?

Ithamar

Literate
Thanks, and that was just around 20%ish. Are these suggested fixes even possible?

well, I'm sure most of the changes could be implemented in Darkstone Web, since the only limitation there is my time/motivation (though my intent is to make it very easy for non-devs to change things like loot drop rates, leveling, those type of things)
When it comes to modding the existing Darkstone, some things might not be possible (or at least not feasable/worth the time to do it).

I'm hoping that'll have a bit more time over the weekend to look a bit more in-depth to your list and answer your question properly ;)

Ithamar

Literate
Okay, just in case anyone thinks I've disappeared, I'm still around, and still hard at work on Darkstone Web. Having some issues with the placement/scaling of the objects in the room, close to getting it solved though. I expect to have an update online over the weekend, that at the very least will render rooms with all the objects inside, maybe even with some interactivity, if I have enough time left. Hope everyone else is still corona-free and around!

Golden-Dragon

Novice
I can't imagine how difficult and time-consuming it all is. You can take a break from time to time to stay motivated.;) The main thing is that you still enjoy the project.:D It's good to hear a status update every now and then. Thank you and keep up the good work!

Ithamar

Literate
For anyone trying to play with modding Darkstone, I just made a discovery I think has not yet been mentioned anywhere else. With the original Darkstone, when you unpack an MTF, and delete/rename the original MTF file, the game will still run, straight out of the unpacked MTF data ;)
This can make experimenting with editing those files a lot easier, no need to repack to MTF every time to see what your changes do!

(Tested with unpacking data.MTF, renaming the MTF file to backup-data.mtf, and simply running Darkstone, version tested is latest GOG version, but I suspect this works in all versions, old and new, GOG and Steam).

EDIT: will add some docs to the darkstone-tools wiki about this

Ithamar

Literate
I can render the (N)PCs! Only in default pose at the moment, but I've got a fair chunk of the animation format worked out too, so it shouldn't be too long before we can have them animated too. With all those things in place, the more interesting parts of actual gameplay can start, interacting with objects / the world, and then finally the actual world generation (the land between the quest rooms).

Should have a good looking update to Darkstone Web by the end of the weekend :D

Dysterkvist

Novice
Totally forgot all about this thread, I joined the discord server. I can't promise I can dedicate any time, and if I can, it's gonna be sporadic, but I'm interested in this for sure. :)

Golden-Dragon

Novice
Welcome Dysterkvist,

nice to see another Darkstone fan. Maybe you can help Ithamar with some 3D models or UI. Just ask him, he's awesome.:)

Ithamar

Literate
Totally forgot all about this thread, I joined the discord server. I can't promise I can dedicate any time, and if I can, it's gonna be sporadic, but I'm interested in this for sure. :)

Great to hear, the more, the merrier. I've been a little quiet here, since work has been exploding and simply not getting enough brain-time at the moment. I'm almost finished with the character animations, just need to figure out how to calculate the translations of the "bones" (rotations are already working), so it is really, really close ;)

However, I want to reiterate that if there's somebody with better graphics skills then myself, who would like to play around with modding the original game, I can always whip up some tools to enable that. I haven't "bothered" yet, since there was no-one expressing interest in that, but all the information is pretty much there, and a tool for export/import things like terrain tiles would not take much time (or brainpower) to build.

In any case, welcome Dysterkvist , and thank you for expressing interest in this project :D

Poseidon

Educated
Greetings everyone a few months later. The project recently attracted some attention so I've updated the main post with Ithamar's links and updated ideas and suggestions lists (including Golden-Dragon's). Let's hope that brings in some more fresh meat... wait, wrong game...

Ithamar

Literate
Thanks Poseidon . To all others, I'm still here, have been low in spare time, but have not forgotten this project. Decided to tackle more interactive matters next, skipping the animation decoding bits that I have been stuck on way to long for now. With a bit of luck I'll have a nice update over the weekend!

daivin

Novice
Happy to read this thread. Darkstone is one of my favorite games of all time.

I've had a look to the github, but didn't had MTF to test. But i must have the CD-Rom somewhere, in my pile of things to sort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom