Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
i feel like everyone always says that for every game that comes out with an editor nowadays and yet i still have to see one that actually delivers those hundreds of awesum fan mods
Because it's usually quite a hassle to make them. The only really successful platform for such things is NWN1 and it's very, very easy (in comparison) to do. D:OS2 is very popular and has an editor, but nobody seems to be making anything with it. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's because it's not as hassle-free as with NWN1.

Sharpedge

Prophet
If you try to help people in BG3 your companions not-so-politely remind you that you have a parasite eating your brain and to hurry the fuck up.
And? Nothing will happen anyway, because parasite is magically sealed. Plus companions chatter about walking god in Deadfire too, Eder in particular takes it all personally even after he was rewritten into a more silly person.
Whilst I don't think they would allow you to "fail," it seems likely that they will push a time based ending dependent on how much you take advantage of the tadpole. The tadpole is in permanent stasis so long as you do not use it, but each time you use it, it advances that quesline.
On the subject of it starting off with too many theatrics I do agree, a rose in a rose garden does not stand out as much as a rose in a bed of weeds, but I still think it definitely has potential as an RPG.

Codex Year of the Donut
i feel like everyone always says that for every game that comes out with an editor nowadays and yet i still have to see one that actually delivers those hundreds of awesum fan mods
Because it's usually quite a hassle to make them. The only really successful platform for such things is NWN1 and it's very, very easy (in comparison) to do. D:OS2 is very popular and has an editor, but nobody seems to be making anything with it. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's because it's not as hassle-free as with NWN1.
I suspect the lack of advertising the editor might have something to do with it. NWN is very well known for its toolkit and was part of its marketing.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If you try to help people in BG3 your companions not-so-politely remind you that you have a parasite eating your brain and to hurry the fuck up.
And? Nothing will happen anyway, because parasite is magically sealed. Plus companions chatter about walking god in Deadfire too, Eder in particular takes it all personally even after he was rewritten into a more silly person.
Whilst I don't think they would allow you to "fail," it seems likely that they will push a time based ending dependent on how much you take advantage of the tadpole. The tadpole is in permanent stasis so long as you do not use it, but each time you use it, it advances that quesline.
On the subject of it starting off with too many theatrics I do agree, a rose in a rose garden does not stand out as much as a rose in a bed of weeds, but I still think it definitely has potential as an RPG.
I can say that for me the whole thing stopped working after I've seen that if you agree to get help from demon, his dialogue plays the same and nothing changes.

But they cannot allow you to neither succeed, or fail, in a quest they give you, with all those options, because if you do whole plot collapses (and so is every reason for companions to be with you btw).

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
I can say that for me the whole thing stopped working after I've seen that if you agree to get help from demon, his dialogue plays the same and nothing changes.

But they cannot allow you to neither succeed, or fail, in a quest they give you, with all those options, because if you do whole plot collapses (and so is every reason for companions to be with you btw).
That is a pity. Hopefully they change the outcomes of that dialogue later on, although I am not really expecting it.

Anyhow, the way I think quest as well as time progression in the game works is as follows. Companion quests progress based on 3 things, the first is finding objects, characters or places within the world. If the companion is present with you, they will comment on what you find. If they are not present, when you next visit your camp they will comment on it. The second trigger for companion quests is bypassing certain quest thresholds, once you have reached a certain point in a quest, it will trigger the next companion event. The third is related to tadpole use. I think for the majority of side quests, the only case in which time moves forward is when you progress the main quest and depending on which stage of the main quest you are on, determines what the side quests will look like. There may be a smaller group of events which progress based on when you rest, but I am not entirely sure how much of an impact resting time has. It seems like from the outset there are, I would guess, 2 or 3 branches to the main quest,
one where you help the Drow, one where you help the refugees, and because its larian potentially one where you kill everyone. Whilst I don't think they are willing to take the risk of having a main quest failure state based off of time, I am almost certain there will be one for continued tadpole use. It is hard to judge though because you very quickly hit the barrier of, "we didn't write any more events than this" in the early access by spamming it.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

And even then, it's not much of a sure thing.
Yep. Used a bunch of those Illithid dialog options. Things happened.
The tadpole isn’t as “sealed” as some seem to think it is.

It’s probably not going to turn you into a mind flayer right away, but it will turn you into something eventually.

Dux

Arcane
I might pick this up in a couple of years but I have a question regarding the incel fantasies- I mean romances:

Are there dialogue options to the tell the ovulating thots to fuck off?

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If you speak with the friendly mind flayer in the underdark

He tells you the tadpole is shielded by something and he attempts to extract it and fails, which only makes it grows stronger and you gain another power. He tells you that something far more powerful has temepred with the tadpole, a god perhaps? If you do the deal with Auntie Hag she also fails and tells you it is netherese, what ever the fuck that means

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The intro pretty much looks like one of those awesome high level adventures, except you're just an observer, not a participant.

Lambach

Arcane

He tells you the tadpole is shielded by something and he attempts to extract it and fails, which only makes it grows stronger and you gain another power. He tells you that something far more powerful has temepred with the tadpole, a god perhaps? If you do the deal with Auntie Hag she also fails and tells you it is netherese, what ever the fuck that means

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Netheril

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Netheril was the ancient human magocratic empire that made greatest strides in understanding of magic. Flying cities, etc. The Fall of Netheril when magic temporarily stopped working was quite literal.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I might pick this up in a couple of years but I have a question regarding the incel fantasies- I mean romances:

Are there dialogue options to the tell the ovulating thots to fuck off?

Can we blame Baldurs Gate for introducing the waifu collecting harem concept that is now partly responsible for the destruction of RPGs?

BarbequeMasta

Learned

Netheril was the ancient human magocratic empire that made greatest strides in understanding of magic. Flying cities, etc. The Fall of Netheril when magic temporarily stopped working was quite literal.
Was that the fall caused by the casting of the one and only 12th level spell? Karsus's Avatar or something?

Gargaune

Magister
I suspect the lack of advertising the editor might have something to do with it. NWN is very well known for its toolkit and was part of its marketing.
Both accessibility and promotion, sure, but it might also have something to with brand audience. Both NWN and DOS2 ideally would've liked a mainstream crowd, of course, but the former also had more innate appeal among a D&D consumer base with plenty of enthusiast campaign builders.

Sharpedge

Prophet
So, from the EA, there is foreshadowing on the following topics.
• Tadpole is protected by Netherese Shadow Magic (From Hag).
• The Mindflayer in the Underdark cannot remove it.
• Gale has a piece of the weave (?) which was lost to Mystra when the spell Karsus's Folly was cast inside of him and it is hungry, wanting to consume magical items.
• Shadowheart is a Priestess of Shar. She also has stolen some item which is valuable to the Githyanki.

I wasn't able to pick up any major plot tie ins for the Vampire and the Gith, I never even bothered recruiting the Warlock so I can't say for certain if he has any tie ins. Either way, I would not be surprised if both Gale and Shadowheart are at least partially responsible for the situation.
rusty_shackleford did I miss anything major there?

Codex Year of the Donut
So, from the EA, there is foreshadowing on the following topics.
• Tadpole is protected by Netherese Shadow Magic (From Hag).
• The Mindflayer in the Underdark cannot remove it.
• Gale has a piece of the weave (?) which was lost to Mystra when the spell Karsus's Folly was cast inside of him and it is hungry, wanting to consume magical items.
• Shadowheart is a Priestess of Shar. She also has stolen some item which is valuable to the Githyanki.

I wasn't able to pick up any major plot tie ins for the Vampire and the Gith, I never even bothered recruiting the Warlock so I can't say for certain if he has any tie ins. Either way, I would not be surprised if both Gale and Shadowheart are at least partially responsible for the situation.
rusty_shackleford did I miss anything major there?
I believe shadowheart's box is related to descent into avernus.
Also, the absolute wanted everyone who crashed on the ship to be murdered for some reason.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Larian said:
Developers in 1998: Enjoy our CRPG that we worked tirelessly on - Please buy the sequel!

:takemymoney:

Developers in 2020: Enjoy our Early Access CRPG with Analytics Spyware Systems, which will let us know exactly how diverse your characters are, so we can shame you if we disapprove. Please buy the final product?

XJtaLx4.png

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I *may* have unlocked all the content possible for the Illithid route in Act 1.

I lost the ability to click on the gith after a while. I think she was meant to kill herself but didn’t due to a bug.

All my Illithid/WISDOM options now simply say [True Soul].

Johannes

Arcane
The 3d modeled sex scenes, and ingame cutscenes in general, are just so much more goofy than the more abstracted conversations of IE games. The writing mightve been cringe then too, but when you were just seeing it from the bird's eye view you didn't feel as violated by it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom