Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Percy

Cipher
Can you make something akin to this monstrosity in character creation?

images

If so, im in.

gulagdandy

Novice
I don't know if it's been talked already, but Larian's update chastising players for creating "boring" characters kinda says it all for me. Swen sees the myriad of races and locations in the Forgotten Realms and thinks "let's do something zany and colorful with it"; I like creative directors that craft a relatable story with a balanced character cast, and introduce the more whacky elements to spice things up when they are about to get stale. Swen wants a party of Mary Sues vying for attention.

Gyor

Savant
I will be shocked if people don't make larger party mods. There's one for both dos1 and 2.

I don't mean this as a defense, of course, just that it'll probably get done.

They even designed BG3 to make such a mod easier, but given they went to that extra effort, I'm hoping they just finish it and make a 6 party member mode.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know if it's been talked already, but Larian's update chastising players for creating "boring" characters kinda says it all for me. Swen sees the myriad of races and locations in the Forgotten Realms and thinks "let's do something zany and colorful with it"; I like creative directors that craft a relatable story with a balanced character cast, and introduce the more whacky elements to spice things up when they are about to get stale. Swen wants a party of Mary Sues vying for attention.
How do you take that tweet seriously? It's an obvious dumb joke. I only play ultra-normal humans because I can't stand seeing my character with horns, tails, and glowing eyes, and I wouldn't mind if they completely eliminated tieflings, vampires, dragonshits, and all that zany whacky stuff from the game, but how in the world do you get triggered by that tweet?

jackofshadows

Magister
I didn't cleanse the grove in my playthroughs. I saw someone who did though and the gobos didn't go hostile. Not sure what happened there.
They do not turn hostile right away. There's a special event in the camp afterwards, where the drow betrays you because 'the absolute' said so (it's possible to pass an easy check to avoid a fight and she's even outright warns you don't go back into gob camp).

Vatnik Wumao
Well, the plot sort of backs it by implying (in one of Gale's dialogue lines I think) that those who ended up on the ship were individuals who were of special interest to the mindflayers' to serve as specimens.

As for the myriad of races, it's a good thing as long as they stay lore appropriate (which they seem to do). Having the option to play a proper Duergar and to interact with others within the Underdark is great.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
How do you take that tweet seriously? It's an obvious dumb joke. I only play ultra-normal humans because I can't stand seeing my character with horns, tails, and glowing eyes, and I wouldn't mind if they completely eliminated tieflings, vampires, dragonshits, and all that zany whacky stuff from the game, but how in the world do you get triggered by that tweet?

what tweet? it was a community update.
you know how to read?

now go and play a black character, you fuckin racist.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

what tweet? it was a community update.
you know how to read?

now go and play a black character, you fuckin racist.
I'm sorry I used the wrong term, I'm willing to accept complete and utter defeat. I'm a failure, and I will never forgive myself for what I've done.

But no, I will never play a black character. NEVER. I can't stand their fucking horns, tails, and demonic wings.

Gyor

Savant
3.5 is an ok system, the crux is the many loops and massive useless content that got shit over all over the years during production cycle in WOTC.
As for 5E its a pretty controlled rpg system, but this amount of control reflect on character customization. You will have classes looking almost the same no matter the person is playing with, so I'd say 5E is an excellent entry level system for new people, but if you are a person that love all aspects of RPGs that is roleplaying summed with making a build that reflects your character personality that works in system then 5E falls apart.

Honestly I'm love a system that uses the best parts of 3.xe, 4e, and 5e.

Vatnik Wumao
Devs being salty about players not interacting with their whole body of work in character creation? Who would've thought.

Let it to the IdPol brigade to mistake that for virtue signalling.

gulagdandy

Novice

I'm not triggered at all, I just think it's symptomatic of the kind of narrative direction Larian has taken.

gulagdandy

Novice
Devs being salty about players not interacting with their whole body of work in character creation? Who would've thought.

To be clear, I have no issue with diversity in terms of gender, race, or sexuality. I just don't like a cast full of funny looking characters with overly complicated backstories. If I did, I would just play JRPGs.

Vatnik Wumao

To be clear, I have no issue with diversity in terms of gender, race, or sexuality. I just don't like a cast full of funny looking characters with overly complicated backstories. If I did, I would just play JRPGs.
Besides the vampire character, they really aren't that over the top.

gulagdandy

Novice

Besides the vampire character, they really aren't that over the top.

Eh. The vampire is also a high elf, and a noble, and a snarky asshole. It's a mashup of tropes that doesn't necessarily gel, at least not for me. The githyanki is my favourite one, but I agree 100% with the Ars Technica review in that too many characters are antagonistic towards the MC. Maybe just by changing the emo cleric to a more afable Lathander priest the overall feeling of being surrounded by snarky Mary Sues would be lessened.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm totally with you on "random" millennial humour and pomp as a general thing, but that wasn't Larian's angle there. Horns, tails, beards, various hairstyles, they can all clip with other character meshes. Different eye colours and skin tones can look better or worse in various lighting conditions. And Larian wants to squeeze as much QA as possible out of their overenthusiastic EA customers, but they can't just come out and say "hey assholes, test more shit" so they play coy.

Sotomonte

Learned
in fact, the possibilities of customizing your characters are minimal ... except in hairstyles, where there are about thirty.

But yes, what little I have played the game I have done with a common human character ... the world of BG3 already has enough weirdos to add one more.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
The githyanki is my favourite one, but I agree 100% with the Ars Technica review in that too many characters are antagonistic towards the MC. Maybe just by changing the emo cleric to a more afable Lathander priest the overall feeling of being surrounded by snarky Mary Sues would be lessened.
I thought we already accepted that the EA only has the "evil" and "neutral" characters that will be part of the cast of companions when the full game gets released.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, the plot sort of backs it by implying (in one of Gale's dialogue lines I think) that those who ended up on the ship were individuals who were of special interest to the mindflayers' to serve as specimens.
Does anyone remember the Larian fanboys saying it's more grounded than BG1 because you're a random nobody getting caught up in a wild situation? No? Just me? Oh, well.

Vatnik Wumao
Does anyone remember the Larian fanboys saying it's more grounded than BG1 because you're a random nobody getting caught up in a wild situation? No? Just me? Oh, well.
As far as I'm aware, the PC is an unlucky nobody though.

flabbyjack

Arcane
You want custom characters? GIVE ME CUSTOM CHARACTER GENERATION. Fat, skinny, almost-gigantic, tiny, Down Syndrome, I want it all!

Instead, you give me 30 different kinds of makeup but only 3 hairstyles. That's how most cRPGs are, anyway.

If I can't make my character look like Chunk from the movie Goonies, then your 3d chargen is wrong.

Dragon's Dogma chargen ftw.

FPc4JgH.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom