Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Magister
in fact, the possibilities of customizing your characters are minimal ... except in hairstyles, where there are about thirty.
Yeah, I didn't get the gushing over character customisation either, it's quite basic feature-wise, in line with previous CRPGs like Deadfire and NWN 2. Though a different genre, games like Saints Row III and Conan Exiles had potentially similar view distances and featured body morphs, and they were still a far cry from Fallout 4's sculpting features. It looks great, absolutely, but it's a AAA 2020 game with modern rendering and assets, it's sort of expected.

jackofshadows

Magister
Anyone here played with potato PC's? I had problems with my best graphics card and now an with my old GTS 450. Can I run in the lowest settings with that video card? Everything else on my PC is good. CPU, HD, ram, etc.
I've played it on my very old rig: i5-3570k 8gb ram, 7790 hd. I need a new GPU, obviously but it looked passable (medium preset). As for your GTS 450... not sure that you'll manage to run the game with it but who knows. Try 'demo'.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know if it's been talked already, but Larian's update chastising players for creating "boring" characters kinda says it all for me. Swen sees the myriad of races and locations in the Forgotten Realms and thinks "let's do something zany and colorful with it"; I like creative directors that craft a relatable story with a balanced character cast, and introduce the more whacky elements to spice things up when they are about to get stale. Swen wants a party of Mary Sues vying for attention.
How do you take that tweet seriously? It's an obvious dumb joke. I only play ultra-normal humans because I can't stand seeing my character with horns, tails, and glowing eyes, and I wouldn't mind if they completely eliminated tieflings, vampires, dragonshits, and all that zany whacky stuff from the game, but how in the world do you get triggered by that tweet?

what tweet? it was a community update.
you know how to read?

now go and play a black character, you fuckin racist.
I'm sorry I used the wrong term, I'm willing to accept complete and utter defeat. I'm a failure, and I will never forgive myself for what I've done.

But no, I will never play a black character. NEVER. I can't stand their fucking horns, tails, and demonic wings.

It was never an obvious dumb joke.
That's what your retarded brain wants to believe.

And because you cannot into written words, have a listen

Dodo1610

Arcane
:lol: even in the video's comment section most say that it's clearly meant as a joke
rwHLLPz.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not gonna lie, human fighter is boring. It's surprising it's actually a Cleric (unless they only showed the appearance and not the class?). I expected this to blow up in ...specific circles like that quartering guy anyway.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You want custom characters? GIVE ME CUSTOM CHARACTER GENERATION. Fat, skinny, almost-gigantic, tiny, Down Syndrome, I want it all!

Instead, you give me 30 different kinds of makeup but only 3 hairstyles. That's how most cRPGs are, anyway.

If I can't make my character look like Chunk from the movie Goonies, then your 3d chargen is wrong.

Dragon's Dogma chargen ftw.

FPc4JgH.jpg
Why do you play as Hillary Clinton and Trump?

Vatnik Wumao
You want custom characters? GIVE ME CUSTOM CHARACTER GENERATION. Fat, skinny, almost-gigantic, tiny, Down Syndrome, I want it all!

Instead, you give me 30 different kinds of makeup but only 3 hairstyles. That's how most cRPGs are, anyway.

If I can't make my character look like Chunk from the movie Goonies, then your 3d chargen is wrong.

Dragon's Dogma chargen ftw.

FPc4JgH.jpg
Why do you play as Hillary Clinton and Trump?
'Murricans live in a fantasy world.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It was never an obvious dumb joke.
That's what your retarded brain wants to believe.

And because you cannot into written words, have a listen

Do you expect me to listen to a YOUTUBER reading ONLINE ARTICLES written by VIDEOGAME JOURNALISTS for 10 minutes? I understand you think I'm retarded, but isn't that a bit much?

That community update was so clearly a joke that I can explain you saying it wasn't only if you too are joking. I can't believe you are actually reading reality through the words of YouTubers and videogame journalists. I mean, come on:

Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
it's clearly meant as a joke
Why are resources being put into tracking how players make their characters look at all?

Larian "Just kidding tee-hee, no reason we're tracking this tee-hee"

It's pretty bizarre lol...
So that they know where to focus art resources, both now and in the future?
So you think they'll focus art resources on generic white males, the most popular option? Really?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I don't get it. You spent 2 seconds in previous installments on visual customisation, because, it wasn't important. Pick portait+pick colours to distinguish your character on the map. The game was important.

Modern games are all infested with spyware now tracking everything down to how your characters look because, "reasons". Lol 'k.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Good.

Now they know 99% of their target audience is racist and not open minded and woke enough to play a "chick with a dick" and can take that money and donate it to BLM and other shit.

Anyone here played with potato PC's? I had problems with my best graphics card and now an with my old GTS 450. Can I run in the lowest settings with that video card? Everything else on my PC is good. CPU, HD, ram, etc.
I've played it on my very old rig: i5-3570k 8gb ram, 7790 hd. I need a new GPU, obviously but it looked passable (medium preset). As for your GTS 450... not sure that you'll manage to run the game with it but who knows. Try 'demo'.
I'm playing with a somewhat comparable CPU (i5 4650K) *and* a GTX 1070. Have to say that performance wise I feared a lot worse. I started the game with the default on Ultra settings at 2560x1440 and (occasional isolated slowdown aside) I'm more or less keeping performances constantly above 50-60 fps.

On a barely related note, if even you like me have a relentless hate for the shitty chain/unchain system Larian insists on using to control the party in their games, you can join the good fight in this feedback thread on the official forum:
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679414#Post679414
Or its direct clone on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/1/2971771480487991549/

I genuinely think it's THE major issue that they need to address as soon as possible and the foundation/prerequisite for a lot of other improvements.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
:lol: even in the video's comment section most say that it's clearly meant as a joke
rwHLLPz.png
Looks like Larian's furry fanbase is in full damage control mode.

WyNRtDs.jpg
Never thought I'd ever stand by furries, but if the other side has V I D E O G A M E J O U R N A L I S T S, well... I might look good in a fursuit, after all.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In the few PnP sessions I've played with a bunch of other guys, I've been playing a human male fighter. My portrait was a white guy in armor, with a raised sword. It's not about the skin color or class, it's about what character you make and roleplay as. Superficial fuckers and posers are everywhere.

Gargaune

Magister
it's clearly meant as a joke
Why are resources being put into tracking how players make their characters look at all?

Larian "Just kidding tee-hee, no reason we're tracking this tee-hee"

It's pretty bizarre lol...
So you think they'll focus art resources on generic white males, the most popular option? Really?
Not in that sense, but to give you an example, if they put in two mohawks and find that just 3% of players used the short one and then only 0.6% of players ever used the tall one, maybe next time around they'll only make a short one and save the man hours. Not that different from tracking an optional puzzle that barely anyone notices, maybe signpost it better or you drop it next time. That's the point of these modern analytics, assessing consumption patterns to optimise cost effectiveness and resource allocation both for ongoing and future developments.

As for why they're going "make different characters lol", I'll say it again, it's likely they want testing on more of their character assets. EA customers are Larian's free paying QA department.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom