Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Partisans 1941 - real-time tactics in WW2 Russia

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is gud. Very gud. Very creative addition to commando formula.

Level is a lot smaller than desperados or shadow tactics, but it still let you tackle things your way.

No man eating bushes. Corpses are invisible in the bushes, but if enemy touch it, it become detectable.

Combat is surprisingly fun and tactical mode give a lot of freedom. Draw enemy fire, while the other member sneak from their back to shoot them. Hell, i had one moment where 1 guy draw fire and the other 2 sneak and melee the enemies.

AI are sufficiently smart, but also still exploitable and predictable. They evade grenades, find cover, and try to ambush you if you are behind cover.

Resource management is decent, and tools like mines and grenades are truly useful and limited. Ammo are never a problem though, so no reason to not use guns unless you wanna go in silent.

Base building is kinda basic so far, it could go without it, but it's tolerable.

My biggest issue is the UI is pretty counter intuitive you will know what i am talking about when u play it. One example is trying to highlight item info require so many, clicks. Go to inventory, click right on weapon and select "information" from drop down list, instead of just showing stat when you hover over the item.

Jinn

Arcane
This is basically the perfect incarnation of this type of game for me. Love the addition of character progression, a skill system, resource management, and inventory. Having a ton of fun with it. Will be buying it day one based on my time with the demo. Beyond the gameplay, I really like how the game looks and the music has been nice so far.

Game is out?

Game is out on the 14th. There's a demo available now on the Steam page. I hope you're able to keep your save from the demo to put in the game when it comes out, but I couldn't find any mention of it on the store page or in the forums. Either way, I'll gladly play through the first two missions again.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I dunno if the full version will have tweaked the UI to be more intuitive, it's basically my only complaint so far. It's just awkward. Takes too many click, and sometimes the item "clickbox" in the inventory doesn't register. You really have to be in the middle of the square to click on stuff.

Automatically showing items information when hovered should be a thing too.

Some items have you able to click for information but showing empty text.

But overall it's semi minor, the actual gameplay screen is good and clear. Desperados 3/ shadow tactics are a lot refined in term of the QoL (gosh i miss the fast forward button in D3) but this game add to the formula so elegantly and so far it does it pretty well that i am excited to see more.

It's so ecstatic when you do an ambush well you took out a group double the number of your team just by clever positioning and/or well placed tools.

It's definitely put more weight into combat as opposed to more traditional commando-like and use the real time element to its full advantage.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/partisans-1941-review/

PARTISANS 1941 REVIEW
Control a group of Russian Resistance fighters on daring missions in this rich and dynamic real-time tactics game.

Partisans may look drier than a towel in Death Valley, a game with more brown in it than your average furniture warehouse. But one should never judge a guerrilla fighter by the condition of their outfit. Behind Partisans' dishevelled overcoat and mud-stained trousers lies a surprisingly capable real-time tactics game with some radical ideas and heart in abundance.

The game involves controlling a group of Russian resistance fighters dedicated to being a thorn in Hitler's side while his armies sweep across the Soviet Union during Operation Barbarossa (which as we all know is German for "Massive Bastard"). From your base situated deep in the forest, your ragtag band embarks on a series of increasingly daring raids against the Wehrmacht's occupation and infrastructure.

The obvious reference point here is Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines. Partisans is set during World War 2, and also has you perform dangerous missions against an overwhelmingly superior force (not to mention kick seven shades of scheiße out of Fascist goons). Yet whereas Commandos was essentially a puzzler in disguise, an exacting clockwork machine where one wrong move meant being crushed to death by its gears, Partisans is more free-flowing and dynamic, open to letting players experiment and muddle through when they get things wrong.

The core is similar to most other real-time tactics games. Each mission sees you pick several of your partisans to complete an objective in a large, openly explorable map, before safely exfiltrating back to your camp. These maps are swarming with guards that range from Polizei—a militia of Russian citizens working for the Germans—to crack SS soldiers whose machine-guns can rip up your squad like an unsolicited takeaway leaflet.

The sweeping vision cones of guards, and the complex arrangement of their posts and patrols, makes every step your squad takes fraught with danger. Hence, the meat of the game involves evading, tricking, and ambushing these patrols, carefully picking them apart as you inch closer to your goal.

Your partisans start off with next to nothing, a single knife and a handful of rocks you can use to distract guards. Soon enough, though, you'll have scavenged a wide range of equipment and abilities that'll help you get the upper hand, from guns and grenades to mines and trip-wires that can take out entire squads with careful placement. My favourite partisan 'gadget' is a simple bottle filled with water. When placed on the ground, bottles attract the attention of thirsty guards hoping for a free swig of schnapps, making them useful for pulling guards out of their patrol patterns.

Alongside equipment, your partisans also have unique skills and abilities. The character builds of Partisans aren't as immediately distinctive, as, say, Desperados III, but they gradually reveal their own specialities. Commander Zorin, for example, is the game's close combat expert, able to quietly dispatch enemies with a well-aimed knife-throw. 14 year old Sanek, meanwhile, can 'disguise' himself (which means pulling down his cap and shuffling around in a definitely-not-suspicious way) and distract guards by talking to them. Later on you'll unlock snipers, explosives experts, and even a thief whose special ability is a ridiculous banzai charge called "Ribknife".

In general, Partisans' systems are more forgiving than Commandos or the recent Desperados III, but also more nuanced. A good example of this is stealth. A guard's ability to detect you is based on proximity, so if you accidentally stumble across the edge of their vision cone, you've usually got time to rectify the problem. But guards can hear you as well as see you. Hiding inside a bush will make you practically invisible, but if you move around too much when a guard is nearby, they'll be alerted by the rustling foliage.

The game has lots of little touches like this. Performing a truly "silent" kill is difficult. Unless your character is a melee expert, attacking a guard with a knife will cause a scuffle that takes time to resolve and generates noise. Even Zorin's knife-throw, which is the most efficient way to quietly kill enemies, causes a soundwave to emanate when the body thuds onto the ground. This means you must think carefully about how you're going to deal with each guard, a small mistake can easily cascade into a full-blown battle.

Crucially though, being detected doesn't necessarily mean mission failure. Combat is as much a part of the game as stealth. It's advisable to soften up guard patrols and encampments with stealth before engaging them head on, but most missions can be played pretty aggressively on both easy and normal difficulty. It's equally possible to defend yourself when things go awry, shifting your partisans into cover, using abilities like suppressing fire to keep the Germans at bay, and using grenades to flush them out so your riflemen can pick them off. This isn't to say partisans is easy, even on the easiest difficulty, my quickload key saw plenty of use. But I wasn't reaching for it the moment I got detected. It's always worth seeing how things will play out, how you can turn what seems like a bad situation to your advantage.

I like this fuzzier edge to Partisans' tactical play, although it does have its downsides. Judging the potential effects of more aggressive tactics is difficult. It's hard to know whether a gunshot will simply alert the troops in the immediate area, or bring half the Wehrmacht bearing down on your position. This isn't the only way Partisans struggles with communication either. Certain objectives might require you to find a specific object first, like a key or some TNT. But it doesn't provide any hints regarding where these objects might be found, which means painstakingly scouring the map for them. Also, the game's doors seem to exist in a quantum state whereby clicking on them opens and shuts them at the same time. This makes accessing buildings resemble a Laurel and Hardy sketch, as your partisan swings from the doorhandle like a chimp while a guard stands obliviously a few feet away.

There are a few other issues too. After each mission, your partisans return to their forest camp, where a resource management minigame awaits. You need to find food and resources to keep the camp running, while also sending your partisans on autonomous side-missions for varying rewards. I like this element thematically—seeing this side of partisan life lends the game shades of the underrated Edward Zwick film Defiance. The way weapons and equipment carry over from mission to mission is another neat touch, encouraging you to weigh your options and ensure every bullet counts. Broadly though, the camp segments aren't involved enough to be truly engaging, and after a while I just wanted to get on with the next mission.

This is because the more I played of Partisans, the more I enjoyed it. I like the slow build-up of your forces, the careful drip-feed of new characters and equipment. I like how each new mission is incrementally more ambitious than the last, starting with convoy assaults and rescuing civilians from Nazi death squads, then evolving into blowing up bridges and assassinating local comptrollers. I particularly like how earnest the whole experience is. Partisans won't win any writing awards, and the fact your Commander sounds like Billy Butcher from the Boys is a bit odd, but otherwise characters speak like humans rather than quip-dispensers programmed by Joss Whedon, and the game clearly has great respect for its subject matter (and absolutely zero respect for Nazi scum). It may be a bit shabby to look at, but with a redoubt spirit and a little ingenuity, Partisans gets the job done.

THE VERDICT

PARTISANS 1941 REVIEW
Partisans combines a classic real-time tactics structure with more flexible systems for a winning formula.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gonna buy it next week. Looks great and not too expensive. Under 30 euros for me. Just hope it's long and juicy and not some 8 hour thing.

Jinn

Arcane
Just hope it's long and juicy and not some 8 hour thing.

No need to worry about that. I just finished the third real mission and am about 4 hours in. I'm getting the feeling that the full campaign is going to end up being 20-30 hours at least.

Had a blast playing this today. Get's pretty addictive, and I much prefer the flow of the gameplay compared to games like Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3. It gives you a lot more freedom with the variety of skills, weapons, and items at your disposal. I like the less puzzle-like approach it provides. Progression is fun and satisfying. Despite it being a simple skill point and unique skill-tree per party member system, you can really feel the impact of your upgrades, particularly when you acquire a unique skill for a character. Resources such as ammunition, supplies, and food feel nice and tight, at least in the beginning. You always want to try to find a way to take out as many Wehrmachts in your way with your trusty throwing knife as you can before opening fire with a nice ambush. You can't waste your ammunition firing round after round at an enemy in good cover either - you have to flank them and use your ammo as efficiently as possible. I'm playing on Normal difficulty and it's providing a nice challenge so far.

The camp management is simplistic, but really lends to that whole improved flow I referred to above. I like it, and would even like to see something a little more involved if they ever do a sequel or other game in the same vein as this. Once you finish up a few days of camp management, you feel the addictive urge to plunge right into another mission.

Pretty impressed with the game. It's even more fun than I thought it would be.

Oh yeah. I recommend switching the voice acting to Russian. It's very good. The english isn't terrible, but it's kind of jarring having your partisans speaking in British accents.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i've played this for a few hours and i'm very impressed. the equal focus on small and large details really helps, and i love how the real time combat can be done either at 1x speed, or extremely slowly - giving you time to think

Beowulf

Arcane
Just hope it's long and juicy and not some 8 hour thing.

No need to worry about that. I just finished the third real mission and am about 4 hours in. I'm getting the feeling that the full campaign is going to end up being 20-30 hours at least.

Had a blast playing this today. Get's pretty addictive, and I much prefer the flow of the gameplay compared to games like Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3. It gives you a lot more freedom with the variety of skills, weapons, and items at your disposal. I like the less puzzle-like approach it provides. Progression is fun and satisfying. Despite it being a simple skill point and unique skill-tree per party member system, you can really feel the impact of your upgrades, particularly when you acquire a unique skill for a character. Resources such as ammunition, supplies, and food feel nice and tight, at least in the beginning. You always want to try to find a way to take out as many Wehrmachts in your way with your trusty throwing knife as you can before opening fire with a nice ambush. You can't waste your ammunition firing round after round at an enemy in good cover either - you have to flank them and use your ammo as efficiently as possible. I'm playing on Normal difficulty and it's providing a nice challenge so far.

The camp management is simplistic, but really lends to that whole improved flow I referred to above. I like it, and would even like to see something a little more involved if they ever do a sequel or other game in the same vein as this. Once you finish up a few days of camp management, you feel the addictive urge to plunge right into another mission.

Pretty impressed with the game. It's even more fun than I thought it would be.

Oh yeah. I recommend switching the voice acting to Russian. It's very good. The english isn't terrible, but it's kind of jarring having your partisans speaking in British accents.

How did they balance the difficulty for your characters levelling up?

PrettyDeadman

The game doesnt work properly with windows desktop scaling...
Though this time it didnt. Not sure what settings screw this up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

Arcane
How did they balance the difficulty for your characters levelling up?

They've balanced it well from what I can tell. Mainly because of the overall lethality of combat in general. I haven't seen anything like HP increasing, so if you're positioning yourself poorly, you die in 1-3 shots regardless of how many level-ups you have. You can upgrade the damage you deal with a certain type of weapon and how much cover effects your base defense, which helps in terms of survivability, but hardly makes you invincible as tactics are what are going to get you out of any given encounter alive. If it was even just a little more fleshed out, it would remind greatly of how Silent Storm handled character progression. Beyond that, higher level skills are gated behind a base upgrade of 3 skills from the prior tier, so you'll have to spend some time on lower level skills before you can get to that tantalizing unique character skill two tiers down. As for experience points, you get the greatest bulk of them from killing officers - of which there have been 1-2 on the maps I've played so far - and from completing main objectives. Killing grunts and guards will add up, but much more slowly. For example, you can get in a shootout with 6-7 normal guards and end up usually getting something like 87 Xp for the encounter, whereas an officer will net you about 100xp, and a main objective will sometimes drop 400xp in your lap.

In other words, I don't sense becoming overpowered being a problem. The way the progression works is more like giving the player more tools if they choose to take them for increasingly higher stake missions, but they seem to have balanced encounters nicely to factor in both the use of these abilities or the lack thereof. All that being said, it still feels like you're getting stronger and more competently able to deal with situations as you progress.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
mines are OP. grenades are useful flushing enemies out of cover. spread your crew around but focus fire 1 guy at a time. i'm enjoying this so far. the guy with SMG spread ability is pretty good at mowing down low level moobs. the kid's stealth is decent, and slingshot are actually pretty useful too. the characters really mechanically stand out so far, each requires you to employ different strategies and style, but they complement each other well in unison.

investing in melee skills is important since you can take higher enemy level faster and polizeis pretty much instantly. great game i'm really digging it so far. again, the level of polish isn't the same level as mimimi but they tweak the formula enough that what it lost are traded with some of the most unique RT tactics out there.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Jinn how is the mission variate? Does it have side quests/missions and such or is just linear go and do that shit? Also is it preachy sjw garbage?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I couldn't wait, so I downloaded the "extended demo" - also some reviews had me thinking, and I kinda don't wanna waste another 30 bucks. Anyway, glad I did now.

First a minor complaint. The UI is exactly the same as in the demo. While it is functional, it is incredible basic (even ugly) and don't really fit the game I think. It's just white on black, with no cool graphics for items or anything. It feels very digitalized in a setting that shouldn't feel like that.

Now to the two major issues with the game. The real big one is the AI. While the AI seems fine, they react to sounds, movement etc, but when they discover a corpse they go into alert mode for 30 seconds... and that's it. Then they go back to whatever the hell they were doing before without a concern in the world. I had a man killed in front of a soldier smoking a cigarette, and after 30 seconds of some half-arsed searching for the killer he went back to smoking his cigarette. Very disappointing and immersion shattering. There should have been a full blown alert after that.

Then to the second big issue that actually made me turn off the game. FORCED STEALTH and failure if discovered. That is my main issue with these type of commandos games, and the lack of forced stealth was one of the reason I was looking forward to this. It's not that I don't enjoy stealth, but I don't enjoy the whole insta-failed if spotted, it just leads to a lot of save/reload gameplay which I hate. Anyway, the second mission have these conditions and I did finish it, thinking it was a one off, but then I discovered that mission 3 also had these failure conditions, but with a much larger map! It killed all enthusiasm I had left for the game. I mean, the combat already feels a bit like discount Men of War, but I found the stealth combined with combat to be a great idea (also enjoyed the partisan setting), but then get denied that...

So it's unfortunately a no from me. Shame really.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's SJW free.
The game is not affraid of touchy subjects.
No one blinks an eye sending an underage boy to kill people. Food poisoning is a valid sabotage tactic.
And I have not noticed any "peacful joggers" neither among the nazis, nor among the partisans.

But the devs do try to at least stay in line with modern times.
The girls are wearing galife pants and formless tulups, which not only historically accurate, but
also hide all skin and curves.

So instead of
1222619920_picture.jpg

it looks like this
maxresdefault.jpg

While the mission have pre-set objectives, the way you approach them is up you.
In this regard it's exactly like Commandos/Shadow Tactics/Desperados.
There are some variations on the strategic level - you have options to build/expand your base or perform other activities as you see fit.

Jinn

Arcane
Does it have side quests/missions and such or is just linear go and do that shit?

There are side objectives within the linear set of story missions, but no full-blown side missions.

Then to the second big issue that actually made me turn off the game. FORCED STEALTH and failure if discovered.

This isn't in the fourth mission, just FYI. Other complaint about spotted reaction of the guards, etc. Yeah, it's definitely not a sim. The game is very gamey, which was within my expectations for it. Still quite challenging regardless, particularly in the next couple missions. UI is a non-issue and whatever from me. Functional and easy on the eyes. Also sounds like you were maybe forcing yourself to play on Hard, where you have to restart the entire mission upon failure. Would not recommend for a first playthrough.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom