Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ghulgothas

Arcane
That reminds me, I need to overhaul my old tincan build into something else entirely for future runs. Burst-fire spamming through everything got boring fast and having to make grocery trips to buy-out every merchants 8.6mm bullet supply broke my patience considering how much fucking lead you spew.

The burst-fire bonuses from feats apply to combat shotguns too, and I'm thinking of adding Critical Power and Shooting Spree to make Snipers viable. As well as downsizing from metal armor to riot overcoats and a self-made shield. Less Tincan, more Cave Ranger.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Burst-fire spamming through everything got boring fast and having to make grocery trips to buy-out every merchants 8.6mm bullet supply broke my patience considering how much fucking lead you spew.
I was playing AR tank without trader refresh and never had any problems with ammo. The key is to have two rifles for different ammo calibers.

Weight restriction was a problem though, for I was carrying over 40 weight units of ammo all the time.

ciox

Liturgist
Quality over quantity, run a crit Chimera build and you won't have any trouble with ammo or need to use more than one caliber.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I just completed the game (without the expansion). It's definitely on the top of the barrel when it comes to single character games, maybe my very favourite among those.

The "fight in post-apo creepy subway with night vision watches" setting is cool as it is always, and I like the tone which is ballsy but also not retarded down-to-earth dark.

I like how the world is essentially a (very) big, (very) open dungeon, with some emphasis on coherency and good balance between big size and fleshed-out enough mundane area, leave alone all the extensive towns and unique dungeons and encounters.

One of the best part of the game is certainly how interactive environment is and how fleshed-out dungeons are.
I used stealth, lockpicking and intimidation and it's obvious there are many parts I would have approached differently with hacking and persuasion instead.
The dungeons are often very good, with extremely good level desing which cleverly acknowledges the character's abilites, and the dungeon with the AI in Deep caverns especially is excellent.

I think factions should really first and foremost be a way to reach a same goal via different means (with quests from each one to gain more influence than another because it's only natural and because why not, but I think it's not the most important aspect), so in the junkyard especially I like how they simply open a different entrance to the real deal. The junkyard is also a good representation of how content is "gated" (I mean, not really gated in fact) the very good way, with simply some high but far from stupidly high lockpicking check, there's a good chance you would only go there after getting a quest, but maybe you won't and it's no big deal. I think the game is a very good example of how to gate quest content overall when many other games do it much, much worse. Loosely gated content and also skippable stuff that let place to emergent narrative, in fact for example after managing to enter the Institute of Tchort I think I did not take any more quest for the rest of the game from the tchortists nor anyone except for this lonely man in the Deep Caverns I think, while chatting with tchortists seems like the natural way to go since I had to hide my way into fully hostile places. It's very cool the game lets you do so and that it's very fun too since the level design is so good.

Deep caverns is very good at being a huge area where you're given an objective and you just have to uncover how to deal with it and deal with it. It wouldn't be shameful as a full standalone game, so it's quite impressive it's finally a little part of the game.

Finally combat is more than decent for a single character game. I used stealth-enhancing vests, bombs (molotov cocktails especially). For the rest I started with SMGs, then also got a fifth point in strength to be able to a sniper rifle because I thought it worked better than laser pistols against enemies which took no damage from the SMGs (it was also good to deal with the arena). I also used an Acid pistol to deal with the final fight in the arena and then also against some enemies (like this black crawler, you get about no reward for this one by the way?). I also switched from SMGs to an assault rifle which only requires 5 in strength because I felt like the 48 AP extra burst attack I got when killing an enemy was a better extra burst than a 22 AP SMG one. When taking my last stat point, I think, I checked all the feats, I don't think I did before, it seems assault rifles are better with higher strength because you can get a feat which replaces 5 bullet bursts by 7 bullet bursts or something, but that's fine, I thought my character was good enough and fun enough to play. If anything the parts with quickly respawning enemies at the end (but also overall some mundane cave parts) may have been a bit boring without stealth, so although' I often don't use stealth in games I thought it was a good choice in this one.

Overall a very good game.

Calcium

Educated
You should definitely do a second run with the expansion. It's like the base game turned up to eleven, with overall better writing and environments. Not to mention that the expansion introduces other mechanics (like an entire school of psionics) that impact the whole game, not just the Black Sea region.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Part of me doesn't want teh sequel to take place in North Underrail as a continuation.

I want them to explore the other super corps and the remaining nations that resisted them!

Transcendix as it evolved into a society that seems to worship psionics, the monoliths, and other things, and the capital city of Carcosa. Once unified under a board of director-like council, now they've retreated into their respective nightmare realms and the nation-state facility they built is collapsing. Meanwhile, the pillars they were once key to psionic evolution which the populace turned to worship, the great structures that occupied the important ley lines in the city, are possibly the cause of rampant mutation and unnatural creatures.

Sheepherder

Augur
what perception gunslinger builds run with? Versatility of melee and max dex is funny thing, at lvl 25 one would need 11 PER in fully invested guns(215 total) to match 16 DEX melee (210 effective guns).

It surprised me
How much perception you need depends on your damage output and CC capabilities. If you have +85% critical chance and deal +700 damage crits, you can get away with 11 Perception (for Scrutinous) and maxed Guns. Your low thc will be offset by the damage you deal when you do hit (often killing enemies in one hit) and with CC you can disable hard to hit enemies to kill them at 95% thc.
Keep in mid, such builds usually have painful early game, as your thc is low and damage has not yet caught up.

I've played a firearm pistol build with 11 Perception and it did really well past midgame, despite having below average thc.

Black Angel

Arcane
With the courtesy of some nameless fellow, fortunes of dominating quantity upon him. None of my characters had a will score higher than three. Six with his dimension-hopping buddies can eat bullets.

Pd125Je.jpeg
JCWXSTN.jpg
How tf do you get ALL of this??? I had maxed 18 WILL and 8 or 9 INT char last time, I couldn't remember some of this! And I didn't remember getting the TM check for the Mainframe, is that new?

Also, kind of a shame that the Sewer Monolith is gated to the Praetorian (or was it Coretech? Certainly not JKK), but I digress. Perhaps I should try a Battlemage siding with the Praetorians.

• temporary, total immunity to mechanical damage due to stacked damage reduction from lifting belt, conditioning, mushroom brew, aegis and morphine;
Having discussed Conditioning with folks at Underrail forum, I thought it's actually such a waste of a feat because it reduces the damage already reduced by DT/DR of your equipment instead of being stacked on top, but I never thought about combining it with Lifting Belt and consumables. Unless consumables stack with damage reduction after DT/DR, and assume Lifting Belt works the same way, maybe Conditioning ain't all that useless, huh?
  • At level 26 - Tempered: Electricity, for extra protection against Thought Controllers
As far as I know, electricity damage dealt by Thought Control psi aren't reduced by electricity DT/DR, and instead reduced by Resolve. Reading the wiki, however, it seems even mental damages can be modified through unusual means, such as Tempered. Can anyone confirm this?

Having said all that
:updatedmytxt:
*adds Dummy ThiccTank build to my backlog of Underrail planned build*

Sheepherder

Augur
  • temporary, total immunity to mechanical damage due to stacked damage reduction from lifting belt, conditioning, mushroom brew, aegis and morphine;
Having discussed Conditioning with folks at Underrail forum, I thought it's actually such a waste of a feat because it reduces the damage already reduced by DT/DR of your equipment instead of being stacked on top, but I never thought about combining it with Lifting Belt and consumables. Unless consumables stack with damage reduction after DT/DR, and assume Lifting Belt works the same way, maybe Conditioning ain't all that useless, huh?
It was never useless. The fact that it reduces damage after DR/DT is a plus, as it works against AP ammo and armor piercing attacks. The main selling point of Conditioning is that while mech Damage Resistance is hard capped at 95%, Conditioning and other sources of Damage Reduction provide a way to circumvent that cap and further reduce incoming damage.

• At level 26 - Tempered: Electricity, for extra protection against Thought Controllers
As far as I know, electricity damage dealt by Thought Control psi aren't reduced by electricity DT/DR, and instead reduced by Resolve. Reading the wiki, however, it seems even mental damages can be modified through unusual means, such as Tempered. Can anyone confirm this?
I went over this a couple of pages ago. Tempered feats, Conditioning, Stoicism and some gear and consumables provide damage reduction, which is a separate modifier from DR/DT. So Electrical Damage Reduction works against all attacks of that element, including TC psi abilities.

Here's what stacked electrical damage reduction looks like in practice, when fighting TC psi enemies. Lunatic Mall:
kY5Gaiz.jpg

Even though Bilocation ignores electrical DR/DT my Electrical Damage Reduction still reduces damage from 56 to just 3. And morphine lasts just long enough for me to survive Bilocation and kill the psion who casts it. It should be 5%, but it's 4% for some reason.

I also put off Carnifex for a very long time, just so I could experience the divine pleasure of tanking all of his attacks.
FIFmAeh.jpg

All he wanted was a fair fight...
enp8ZMX.jpg

...instead he got an impervious, barely mobile caltrop dispenser.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The part about
situational protection against Mental Breakdown: throwing a molotov at my feet when I know I'll be fighting Thought Controller enemies. Heat damage from burning ground breaks Mental Breakdown.
is just brilliant. This would have saved me a lot of problems in my tank run. Why no one advised it before? Is it Sheepherder discovery?

Styg should add Lunatics with Premeditation in the next game, life isn't hard enough.

Gotta play another tank on Dom, that's for sure.

Sheepherder

Augur
The part about
situational protection against Mental Breakdown: throwing a molotov at my feet when I know I'll be fighting Thought Controller enemies. Heat damage from burning ground breaks Mental Breakdown.
is just brilliant. This would have saved me a lot of problems in my tank run. Why no one advised it before? Is it Sheepherder discovery?

Styg should add Lunatics with Premeditation in the next game, life isn't hard enough.

Nah, a dude over at the discord came up with it.
I came up with another way to deal with Bilocation: be surrounded by melee enemies on all sides. It's foolproof, Doppelgangers can't reach you.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I came up with another way to deal with Bilocation: be surrounded by melee enemies on all sides. It's foolproof, Doppelgangers can't reach you.
I did so with rathounds. Weak ones surround me while Alphas and Ancients just patiently stand aside and die.

Also, fighting in the warehouse I remembered one post from this thread:
Dreadnoughts can't open doors.
They can now

ciox

Liturgist

Awesome stuff. How did you make it so you're taking just 4% electricity damage? Is it really just Tempered, Stoicism, Aegis and Morphine?

The part about

Nah, a dude over at the discord came up with it.
The neat interaction where a bear trap will make them lose their turn despite taking 0 damage is nice, mostly if you have QT. It's probably been brutally fixed by now though.
Most debuffs work on them too, stuff like Yell and Suppressive Fire, they're not strong but they can make a difference, whatever makes them miss or move more slowly helps.

Sheepherder

Augur
anyone knows naga stats? interested in dmg tresholds.

I gave a go space pirate build. Using both melee and lazor pistol is weird. I absolutely shredded robots but... im not convinced that im doing better pew pew than just attacking with shock addon on my butter knife. Anyone care to compare lazor pistol vs energy edge?

EDIT: to clarify my concern, from my research shock dagger would have better avg shock dmg over laser pistol of similar quality parts while requiring less ap. Energy edge just outclasses everything with 85 energy dmg per stab

EDIT2: if my questions are weird, thats because I play daggers since release almost exclusively, possibly all flavors of them. And I must say... I lose enjoyment a bit when I dont do so
Naga on dom: 1,5k HP. Electro: 50% DR, 50 DT. Energy: 100 DT. Mech: 80% DR. Heat 95% DR. Dunno acid, but also high.
Energy edge won't do shit, I'm afraid. For melee the only chance is EW.
Serrated is better than dagger. More Crit Dmg and procs bleed, which enables Taste for Blood. The dmg from dagger is overall less than dmg from serrated.
Electro knife is better than energy edge unless fighting regular bots. It doesn't penalize mechanical damage: mech damage can crit, energy edge damage can't crit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom