Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 5 actually *is* terrible

Wunderbar

Arcane
Basically it's a refinement of the RE4 over-the-shoulder combat and nothing else, at least that's how I remember it.
mechanically - yes, but the level/encounter design and pacing are all over the place. Quality-wise RE5 is closer to RE4 island segment, except the boring parts are somewhat smoothed out with coop.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
5 has a lot of problems but Sheva is great.
64RSlE2.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
The only RE game I've ever really enjoyed has been RE4, and even that didn't blow me away (the after game where you play as the slag was far better)

It's a strange series IMO. Nice ideas & atmosphere, but mostly shit gameplay & design kill it.

Ebonsword

Arcane
RE 5 isn't as bad as some people try to make it out to be. RE 6 on the other hand is legit bad.

RE6 wasn't great, but it had better controls, much less annoying AI on your partner, and you actually got to fight zombies in some of the campaigns, so that puts it ahead of RE5, for me.

RE6 is what RE5 should have been, right down to it actually having the dodge mechanic shown in one of the original RE5 trailers that wasn't in the actual game. It's a better feeling game to control, with a deeper combat system than the previous games. RE6 has weak spots, but the gameplay is so good it makes up for it.

As for RE5 being a refinement of 4...I don't really remember it being that. It's just RE4 mechanically. They play exactly the same from what I remember but now it's also multiplayer. The downside however is RE5 has worse enemies, has worse bosses, worse character progression, worse level layouts, (there's nothing as good as the opening village in RE5) a worse version of The Mercenaries, and the violence got toned way down after some stabbing in Japan got their rating board tougher on violence; which means in RE5 you got a bunch of lame ass shit with the camera drifting off whenever something happens.

Getting back to RE5's versions of The Mercenaries. Not only are the levels not as good as the ones in RE4, but because characters have seemingly been balanced for the games VS mode you don't have anything like RE4's HUNK, Wesker, and Krauser to play with.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
The gameplay mechanics in 6 are good if a bit overrated but the campaigns are not designed to actually use them. There is these massive difference between the way the levels are made in campaign and the mercenaries modes. Like they were made by two different teams who never communicated with each other.

RE6 mercenaries is actually fun to play as you can use all the extra mobility you have now. RE6 campaign is this total retardation of forced slow walks, quick times events, instant deaths, poor encounter design, vehicle sections, cramped corridors and crap bosses.

Half of the game wants to be Vanquish the other wants to be Call of Duty.

Getting back to RE5's versions of The Mercenaries. Not only are the levels not as good as the ones in RE4, but because characters have seemingly been balanced for the games VS mode you don't have anything like RE4's HUNK, Wesker, and Krauser to play with.

WTF are you talking about? RE5 Mercenaries has Sheva booty and Jill booty is automatically better than 4.

Where are you getting that the campaigns aren't designed to use the games mechanics? The campaigns have problems, but not being set up to use what the game gives you isn't one of them. In fact if you're not really using the melee stuff you're going to run into ammo problems as the game goes on. One of the problems of the campaign is the game doesn't really teach you everything you can do, and doesn't impress upon the player how important this new melee system is, and how different this one should be played despite being the same on the surface to 4 & 5.

RE6 has better bosses than 5. Better bosses, and way better enemy encounters. Outside of the original game, and RE4, six probably has the better enemies of the series...both to fight, and just as a group of monster. Overall RE6 has a better campaign even with the problems it has and some stuff it fucks up.

People make way too fucking much about one of the producers says they wanted the Call of Duty audience back when that was the biggest game around. Resident Evil 6 doesn't play like a Call of Duty game, not even kind of, nobody is ever going to confuse the melee heavy action of RE6, with it's dodge mechanics, meter using quick shots, and grapple system based around location damage done to enemies with any Call of Duty game that's ever been around.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's a strange series IMO. Nice ideas & atmosphere, but mostly shit gameplay & design kill it.

They're all very flawed. I think they have strengths that make them worth playing, usually atmosphere being a big one, but I am far from a big fan of the series because of their usually quite shitty combat, batshit stupid storylines and cumbersome control mechanics.

Falksi

Arcane

They're all very flawed. I think they have strengths that make them worth playing, usually atmosphere being a big one, but I am far from a big fan of the series because of their usually quite shitty combat, batshit stupid storylines and cumbersome control mechanics.

Summed it up perfectly.

Bizarrely the "after game" with Ada Wong seemed to play the best out of the series by far for me. Removed a lot of that clunky, cumbersomeness and flowed far better. I was hoping to see more of that in later sequels, but alas it returned to drudgeville.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Now make Lost Planet 2 playable, it's sitting on "we're aware of GfWL problems" for years.
also - didn't GFWL happens to include all the UI/UX sounds from the original '05 Xbox 360 menus? That sounds like downgrade...

Ash

Arcane
RE 5 isn't as bad as some people try to make it out to be. RE 6 on the other hand is legit bad.
RE5 is not a bad game at all, as long as you take it for what it is (a couch co-op game) and also mentally detach the title from its more stylistically tasteful roots (1-3, and hell even 4 in some regards. Code Veronica never happened there is no game by that name).

and yes, re6 is straight trash. Good to see your posting is correct for once.

Falksi

Arcane
Coincidental timing seeing this thread pop back up, as I'm just playing through RE8 having played RE7.

RE7 was another mixed bag, loved the family and shock moments, gameplay was pretty lame (again) and structure was a bit dull. Was OK for a while 6.5/10 :5/5::1.5/5:

RE8 is the best in the series I've played so far, it certainly has the best gameplay. Some of the environments are awesome, the variety is great and the characters are cool too. There's also some really intense moments which, if more regular and less padded out by bullshit ammo/item hunting, had potential to make it amazing. But it's also paced really erratically and the boss fights are really basic too. Solid 8/10 game though, definitely worth playing. :5/5::3/5:

Ebonsword

Arcane
Coincidental timing seeing this thread pop back up, as I'm just playing through RE8 having played RE7.

RE7 was another mixed bag, loved the family and shock moments, gameplay was pretty lame (again) and structure was a bit dull. Was OK for a while 6.5/10 :5/5::1.5/5:

RE8 is the best in the series I've played so far, it certainly has the best gameplay. Some of the environments are awesome, the variety is great and the characters are cool too. There's also some really intense moments which, if more regular and less padded out by bullshit ammo/item hunting, had potential to make it amazing. But it's also paced really erratically and the boss fights are really basic too. Solid 8/10 game though, definitely worth playing. :5/5::3/5:

RE8 is quite good. My biggest problem with it is that it's very front loaded. It's really fun until you finish the spooky doll house. From that point on, it gets less and less enjoyable, with the seemingly never-ending factory section maybe being the worst.

Ash

Arcane

OK I suspected it before, but this sadly confirms it. There's something seriously wrong with your perception of gameplay. I mean as if the pre-existing evidence wasn't enough: still playing and championing SEGA games like Golden Axe obsessively today, most of which while not without value never left baseline Arcade gaming level of gameplay depth, which was left in the dust by PC and console gaming in the 90s.
Nothing wrong with some simple joy, from time to time I might bust out the emulator for the late 80s-early 90s arcade classics, but they were never THAT enjoyable, especially by comparison to the glory of what came after in the 90s.

Last edited:
RE8 is the best in the series I've played so far, it certainly has the best gameplay.

I find this beyond hard to believe, every single thing I saw about this game looked like utter disgusting garbage, so I never even bothered to "demo" it.

Falksi

Arcane

RE8 is quite good. My biggest problem with it is that it's very front loaded. It's really fun until you finish the spooky doll house. From that point on, it gets less and less enjoyable, with the seemingly never-ending factory section maybe being the worst.

Could not agree more. The further I push, the more I want to get it over with. I'm just in the factory area now and, whilst I REALLY like the aesthetics and vibe, it's getting old fast. I get the feeling that by the time I'm done with it I'll end up shaving another half-point off that rating.

Falksi

Arcane
RE8 is the best in the series I've played so far, it certainly has the best gameplay.

I find this beyond hard to believe, every single thing I saw about this game looked like utter disgusting garbage, so I never even bothered to "demo" it.
Nah, it's gameplay is pretty decent. Nothing spectacular, but it actually controls fairly well and doesn't feel cumbersome or cheap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom