Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

User was nabbed fit

Downloading from Steam :bounce:

Edit: holy shit, this game is fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it's been a change in the last few patches or if I'm just a gudder gittin' wizard than I used to be, but it felt like newbie wands were more powerful than they used to be and/or enemies were weaker. Breezed with relative ease through the first two worlds and only died in the third because I had explosive blood, was poisoned so I was exploding non-stop, and then there was a canister under a pile of gore and snow that ignited with my exploding self. The starting wands were certainly different though, had like a bubble wand and a firebolt wand.

Edit: After playing a bit more, I'm really digging the randomized starting equipment (Not always having access to a bottle of water changes the thread posed by some shit noticeably) and I swear they must've increased the drop chances of good offensive wands. I'd played around 9 hours before they launched and I'd very rarely find even semi-functional wands, now it feels like it isn't unusual to find solid to outright powerful wands in the first few floors. Some only needing minor rearranging of spells. Had a great one on my last one, quad-spell bouncy bolts that randomly made fireballs as they ricocheted around. Firing a few of those off would have so much crap blowing up over the entirety of the screen my machine slowed down. Bonus points since I had the immune to fire perk.

Last edited:

Citizen

Not sure if it's been a change in the last few patches or if I'm just a gudder gittin' wizard than I used to be, but it felt like newbie wands were more powerful than they used to be and/or enemies were weaker. Breezed with relative ease through the first two worlds and only died in the third because I had explosive blood, was poisoned so I was exploding non-stop, and then there was a canister under a pile of gore and snow that ignited with my exploding self. The starting wands were certainly different though, had like a bubble wand and a firebolt wand.

Edit: After playing a bit more, I'm really digging the randomized starting equipment (Not always having access to a bottle of water changes the thread posed by some shit noticeably) and I swear they must've increased the drop chances of good offensive wands. I'd played around 9 hours before they launched and I'd very rarely find even semi-functional wands, now it feels like it isn't unusual to find solid to outright powerful wands in the first few floors. Some only needing minor rearranging of spells. Had a great one on my last one, quad-spell bouncy bolts that randomly made fireballs as they ricocheted around. Firing a few of those off would have so much crap blowing up over the entirety of the screen my machine slowed down. Bonus points since I had the immune to fire perk.

Good rng at the start makes the game easier, I played one run yesterday after not touching it for months and got to floor 3 very easy because I got raincloud wand at the start

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Good rng at the start makes the game easier, I played one run yesterday after not touching it for months and got to floor 3 very easy because I got raincloud wand at the start
What fo you use the raincloud for? The lava?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is it something like Terraria?

Only on the technological concept level.

Minecraft was one of the first games to successfully pull off the concept "every block simulated", meaning every block in the game is an object and can be interacted with based on its properties. Terraria is the 2D-version of that concept and uses smaller blocks.

Noita is the next generation of that technological concept. It's not "every block simulated", it's "every pixel simulated". No more blocks, it's dots now. Every dot is an object which can be interacted with.

What Noita does is that it opens the door for a Terraria/Minecraft-clone to have every pixel simulated... but I'm guessing that's a few years away, wherever it comes from.

SlamDunk

Arcane
So, is this actually a good game after the novelty of simulated pixels wears off?
First it was of course the physics themselves, then the emergent gameplay due to the physics, then the awesome brutality of the game, then it was the wand/spell system, and then the world and its habitants that I fell in love with.

V_K

Arcane
Is there any sort of narrative, lore, overarching goals, or whatever - any kind of thing to give meaning to progression - or is it just a sandbox?

garren

Arcane
Patron
Is there any sort of narrative, lore, overarching goals, or whatever - any kind of thing to give meaning to progression - or is it just a sandbox?
I think there's some sorta narrative but it's VERY vague and you gotta hunt down lore pieces in some obscure places from what I've seen. Not sure if there's any solid answers, just that kinda game I guess.

Farewell into the night

Noita is pretty cool if you ask me. Playing right now for the first time.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Man, just imagine a first-person shooter using Noita's wand/spell system for its guns and ammunition. The physics should naturally match those in Noita.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I've been playing this on and off, and just taking it easy and at my own pace. I'm very early in, but I get the feeling the engine and tech came first, then the game. It's really cool seeing the world interact with its various elements, to the point that I shoot any suspicious-looking canisters I come across and just gleefully watch what happens. But at the same time the game feels very primitive. Enter region, deal with monsters in the way, find the exit portal at the bottom, get some bonuses, repeat.

I've found that getting the worm-egg near the start and tossing that around opens up new and interesting places. One such time opened up the overworld to me and I walked for ages to the right until I found a floating diamond-structure with something inside of it, but my acid ran out before I could dig through.

I can (am supposed to?) collect orbs, but have no clue or idea why.

Something is missing in this game, but I haven't put my finger on what just yet.

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Fair enough, but I think Noita takes it too far. The game just dumps you there, it doesn't even tell you what your overall goal is. WHICH 99% OF ALL GAMES DO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom