Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

Alex

Arcane

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
tenor.gif

Ulysa

Scholar
You guys need to switch to Call Of Cthulhu. The Old Ones don't give a shit about your gender, love stories, politic tantrums or moral battles. You are shit that exists only to witness the amazing cosmic horrors that lurk beyond an below, then you die or go insane, no time for character arcs and crap like that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You mean Call of Cuckthulhu? You must have missed the news. The new editions even have a disclaimer that Nazis are bad and Lovecraft was a bad, bad man and that the Mythos is inclusive and that "if you are a racist or bigot, do not play our game."

Master Librarian

Educated
You guys need to switch to Call Of Cthulhu. The Old Ones don't give a shit about your gender, love stories, politic tantrums or moral battles. You are shit that exists only to witness the amazing cosmic horrors that lurk beyond an below, then you die or go insane, no time for character arcs and crap like that.
2015-12-20-19.18.27.png

You know, I bet if Ctulhu had a choice between tentacle molesting a black or a white guy, something tells me he'd first choose the former.

Ulysa

Scholar
The racist thing is an overblown media movement, yeah the guy was racist not more than what I see in this forum but at least he had the excuse of living in his time. Nothing wrong with a small disclaimer in the manual. Racism is not a theme in the scenarios I've played, you are just repeating what the media tells you.
But well enjoy your furry orgies of grown men while an unicorn watches.

Master Librarian

Educated
The racist thing is an overblown media movement, yeah the guy was racist not more than what I see in this forum but at least he had the excuse of living in his time. Nothing wrong with a small disclaimer in the manual. Racism is not a theme in the scenarios I've played, you are just repeating what the media tells you.
But well enjoy your furry orgies of grown men while an unicorn watches.
Whoa, whoa, get your stick out of the ass, it was a joke. Who gives a flying fuck about Lovecraft being racist except dangerhair trannoids?
I mean, not like it's a bad thing.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Despite me liking dnd based video games and read many campaign/book settings.
I never actually play a legit pnp dnd session, because of lack any interest in my area and no friends that have same interest to play with.
I know you can play dnd session online, but with my shitty third world internet connection kills any chance of that to happen.

Watching a dnd session played by Critical role cast and any similar video is killing my interest to play pnp version.
Is that what people supposed to play dnd?
Some ham fisted dialogue and cringe inducing acting?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Every group is different. The critical role people are all sjw voice actors. So of course their focus is on "acting."

Generally pen and paper is what you and your group make of it. You can have a balls to the walls dungeon crawl in the style of Eye of the Beholder. You can have political backstabbing like in Game of Thrones. It all depends on what kind of friends you have and how they want to play.

It's a spectrum, from cold hard wargame to roleplaying fiesta about feelings and stuff.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Just wish that kind of game is also be shared on video online, any kind of link for that?

From what i search, it's only have critical role derivatives. Must be pretty obscure and old if that ever exist.

Bara

Arcane
Well they're invading more aspects of tabletop gaming now.

ANNOUNCING DARRINGTON PRESS, OUR GAME PUBLISHING COMPANY

More critical role tie ins and one new TTRPG by Mercer. Is he any good at desgining? I heard the sub-classes in the offical 5e book are easy to break.

Uk’otoa
Q1 2021

A battle for life and death on the high Lucidian seas! This flagship title from Darrington Press is a tactical game of semi-cooperative card play as factions of sailors vie to be the last claimed by the raging sea leviathan Uk’otoa. As the ship slowly falls into the ocean, you’ll have to run, push, and sacrifice others to win! Fans of Critical Role know Uk’otoa as the ex-patron of warlock Fjord (played by Travis Willingham). Who could say whether these tales hold any truth? Fjord isn’t telling.

Critical Role Adventures
Q2 2021
Embark on your own journey through Exandria with Critical Role Adventures! Play as the upstart adventurers Vox Machina and overcome treacherous challenges. This cooperative legacy-lite campaign game uses a unique, narrative mechanic for social and combat encounters, luring you back session after session. Within this enormous box, you’ll find a host of hidden treasures and a rich storybook to guide you through thrilling combat, dynamic character growth, and tales worthy of the name Vox Machina.

Syndicult
Q3 2021
Syndicult is an original modern magic roleplaying game designed by Matthew Mercer in which mob families jealously guard secrets and battle it out for power on the city streets. Featuring a simple storytelling dice mechanic, Syndicult is a low magic world where all bets are off.

Guardians of Matrimonia
Q4 2021
Fight the monsters, save the party! Guardians of Matrimonia is a cooperative card game where players have pre-built decks that are pitted against a deck of monsters (party crashers). If your deck runs out, everyone loses. But if you battle your way through the entire party crasher deck, everyone wins!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
A Finnish gamer I met said she got into gaming as a way to meet good-looking guys. The US gaming scene has less to offer along those lines.

:lol:

A look at the Gencon audience confirms that.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
TSR had jumped on board the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure craze in 1982 with its Endless Quest series of books, followed by several related series, including gamebooks that combined CYOA with RPG elements. The second of all these series, started in 1983, was HeartQuest, an attempt by TSR to appeal to girls by combining fantasy CYOA with romance. Granted, this series lasted only for six books in 1983 and 1984, while Gygax was away in California, and thus perhaps might have slipped his recollection.

hq1.jpg

TSR even wasted Larry Elmore's talents on the covers for the first four of these books.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
TSR had jumped on board the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure craze in 1982 with its Endless Quest series of books, followed by several related series, including gamebooks that combined CYOA with RPG elements. The second of all these series, started in 1983, was HeartQuest, an attempt by TSR to appeal to girls by combining fantasy CYOA with romance. Granted, this series lasted only for six books in 1983 and 1984, while Gygax was away in California, and thus perhaps might have slipped his recollection.

hq1.jpg

TSR even wasted Larry Elmore's talents on the covers for the first four of these books.

You should do a Codex LP CYOA for those.

Mortmal

Arcane

hq1.jpg

Probably hard to get a copy, never seen those ever .

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Ever notice how Elmore can only draw one female face? All the chicks look like they're sisters.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

hq1.jpg

Probably hard to get a copy, never seen those ever .

Ask and ye shall receive.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/ring-of-the-ruby-dragon-first-in-the-heartquest-series.136032/

Bara

Arcane
Since we talked about Adam Koebel here previously he's come up once more in some minor darma.

For zinequest 3 there was a project for "The Perfect RPG Zine" which after being successfully funded was canceled as the writers found out that Adam Koebel would be apart of the project which they were apparently not previously aware of this and as such many of them have pulled out publicly or quietly from the project.

So a month short of a full year since that really stupid scene in that Veronica show of his he remains a pariah after making a player's Character was made to orgasm against their will via a computer chip. It's a little hard to feel pity for the guy as this was the type of audience he cultivated and would have most likely done the same to others if the shoe was on the foot.

Bara

Arcane
One more update on the Kobel story from the perfect RPG zine.

The guy who launched the project Luke Crane, creator of The Burning Wheel rpg, has lost his job as Kickstarters Head of Community. Apparently it was a mutual decision between Kickstarter and Luke.

So going to bat for Kobel in any way may get you to loose your job and ostracized because to them your supporting a abuser. All because of one TTRPG session gone horrible wrong with the sexual assault of a players robot character from a year ago.

Just wow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom