Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Western culture is just degenerate honestly, not saying Eastern culture is superior in all ways, far from it, but fuck me people are just morons here.

Think it's just been corrupted by liberal shit for decades, and now we're suffering the consequences.

Is Matt Mercer (Critical Role, Aloth+Eder in PoE) voice acting Gale here? Sure sounds like him.

It's a logical one, I like OS2 but BG3 even in its current state is miles above.
The progress they made in a few years is quite impressive and other companies should be inspired by that.
Hint hint Bioware and Obsidian.

I wonder how DOS1 ever won any accolades here (must have been the return of glorious TB combat), but this is on a different level, definitely.

I wonder how DOS1 ever won any accolades here (must have been the return of glorious TB combat), but this is on a different level, definitely.
Well, there was a lot that both DOS 1 and 2 did right.
Which incidentally makes what they did wrong be even more annoying, by contrast.

And yes, even putting aside the how the production value here is an entirely different league, BG3 already feels like a massive improvement in several area by the mere virtue of not being built over an entirely retarded progression system (and not having shitty randomized loot).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Interview with Nick Pechenin the system designer: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...the_pure_RNG_of_Damp_Dinspired_dice_rolls.php
<...>
Some players want to save scum! They feel like this is the degree of control they have over the experience and they want to exercise that control. My fiance, she loves to save scum and if the game will not let her save scum she will make sure that she will hack it to be able to.
<...>
If I didn't know better, I'd say that he's gonna marry fantadomat
Who knows,maybe i am his gorgeous fiance :lol:? I could be a top tier wifu,for all you know.
4351311.jpg

Holy fck, Nina Dobrev is a bulgarian cutie?!!! FCKING INCLINEEEEE!!! I want bulgar waifuuuu!!

LeanIncompatibleHapuka-size_restricted.gif
She is not even that good looking lol. Also nah,you should keep to picking british.....ladies.
Lol british "women" are disgusting.

You're not gonna stop me Mitko, fuck corona, I'm coming to get your sister!
Hmmm,ok,i look forward to owning larian and all your money and property. You should know that bulgar women could even strip a jew for everything he have,if they are wronged.

guestposting

Educated
Well, there was a lot that both DOS 1 and 2 did right.
Which incidentally makes what they did wrong be even more annoying, by contrast.

And yes, even putting aside the how the production value here is an entirely different league, BG3 already feels like a massive improvement in several area by the mere virtue of not being built over an entirely retarded progression system (and not having shitty randomized loot).

BG3 is better than D:OS 1 or 2 in every way, although I say this as someone who’s never really enjoyed a Larian game. I think the typical Codexian response to the finished product will range from meh to pretty good, depending on how much Larian’s general style and design philosophy rubs you the wrong way. But even that stuff isn’t as bad—the whole thing just feels less Larian in general. Maybe animating all the dialogue makes it less cringe.

All in all the first chapter is surprisingly solid. For the record, I thought D:OS had decent combat with garbage writing and D:OS2 had bad combat with mediocre writing. I’m liking Baldur’s Gate 3, although I worry the full game will ultimately be dragged down by Larian’s tedious level design.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Interview with Nick Pechenin the system designer: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...the_pure_RNG_of_Damp_Dinspired_dice_rolls.php
<...>
Some players want to save scum! They feel like this is the degree of control they have over the experience and they want to exercise that control. My fiance, she loves to save scum and if the game will not let her save scum she will make sure that she will hack it to be able to.
<...>
If I didn't know better, I'd say that he's gonna marry fantadomat
Who knows,maybe i am his gorgeous fiance :lol:? I could be a top tier wifu,for all you know.
4351311.jpg

Holy fck, Nina Dobrev is a bulgarian cutie?!!! FCKING INCLINEEEEE!!! I want bulgar waifuuuu!!

LeanIncompatibleHapuka-size_restricted.gif
She is not even that good looking lol. Also nah,you should keep to picking british.....ladies.
Lol british "women" are disgusting.

You're not gonna stop me Mitko, fuck corona, I'm coming to get your sister!
Hmmm,ok,i look forward to owning larian and all your money and property. You should know that bulgar women could even strip a jew for everything he have,if they are wronged.
You will be my brother in law. I already imported a bulgarian to make my music too.

And worth the risk, bulgar cuties are so hawwwwttt, I want my own Nina Dobrev.

5G3BUSe4fDjmJuWeydtlmJty6dKMFe9H_wbCUHRwrGU.gif

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Until Ao told him to stop this shit, since the evil deities were complaining to him.
Correction: It was the Good deities who complained. All this Allahu Akbaring meant that brave Good people died young while Evil schemers became more cautious than ever AND that Good people stopped worshiping particular Good gods while the Evil prayed more fervently than ever to ensure their gods would save them from Kelemvor's personal hell. So the balance was skewing towards Evil both in the prime material, and in the planes, as Ao had very recently decreed that the gods would require mortal faith from now on to fuel their power.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Thought I'll have trouble running this up, but 1440p on ultra on Ryzen 1600 + 1660 Super + 8 GB ram works just fine, at around 50 fps. And it'll only get better?

High five.

I thought the combat system in DOS1 as such was solid, but some of the encounter design, in particular later on... endless waves of same, same orcs and stuff. It appeared that most of their ressources went into the Early Access area, hopefully it won't be that way again with BG3. Additionally, BG3 employs a completely different philosophy, in that combat actually does seem to be optional a lot of the time. They need to find a way to give xp though if you talked yourself out of it or found other creative ways to avoid it.

Thought I'll have trouble running this up, but 1440p on ultra on Ryzen 1600 + 1660 Super + 8 GB ram works just fine, at around 50 fps. And it'll only get better?

A GTX 1060 is enough already for ultra even on 4K, albeit not at a steady 60 fps (which you don't need, as this is a slow paced game not requiring any quick reflexes). https://www.game-debate.com/news/29...t-graphics-card-benchmarks-and-api-comparison

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuark lads, no brakes on this train.

Nr. 1 on best selling.

LVt2YGP.png
That means nothing when you are competing with a remaster of hater rts and preorder for a game that was on the market for two years now.

Also i wouldn't mind you as brother in law,you are an edgy bastard,we will have good drinking nights yo.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Has the codex declined enough that sales are now an argument for a game's quality?
Following this logic we should all embrace true master pieces like Fallout4, Skyrim and diablo 3.

Varnaan

Augur

High five.

It seems the most important factors for the game are HDD vs SSD and RAM, I had issues with 8GB, upgraded to 32GB shortly after and it made the game smooth as butter, as the game in some areas ended up taking up to 10GB of RAM.
I think there are memory leaks issues if you play for a long time, reminds me of Dragon Age Origins at launch that ended up maxing my system's RAM after 6 hours of playing.

Has the codex declined enough that sales are now an argument for a game's quality?
Following this logic we should all embrace true master pieces like Fallout4, Skyrim and diablo 3.

I don't think anyone said the game is good because it sells, people are just pointing out the fact that it is selling like hot cakes.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Nr. 1 on best selling.

LVt2YGP.png
That means nothing when you are competing with a remaster of hater rts and preorder for a game that was on the market for two years now.

Also i wouldn't mind you as brother in law,you are an edgy bastard,we will have good drinking nights yo.

Yeah sure it means nothing when a beta version of game sells more than 1 million in its first week and stays nr.1 on steam. Larian will make BG into the next ES/Fallout money printing franchise.

And I luv u too Mitko.

Sharpedge

Prophet
The all time masterpiece that is Minecraft, which has sold more than the entire mario series combined. It must truly be the best RPG.

sullynathan

Arcane
You can't deny, increasing animation speed everywhere and making combat only last a few turns is incline. Also the intellect devourer c&c is decent

Thonius

Arcane

Nr. 1 on best selling.

LVt2YGP.png
Steam screen don't matter. I got Cyber on top, Fifa on 2nd and BG on 3rd. Depends on region, games owned/ignored and date and time.
PS Among us sold more then BG3 and got 140k online right now. Ergo Among Us is better then BG3.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Early access is a scam when it's done by a big company like Larian. Indie early access could be scammy too, but sometimes they just really need the money to develop the game. Nowadays people are so dumb that it's basically a scammer's heaven.

Larian's entire philosophy behind their marketing for this is their public image. By maintaining the status quo by making those utterly loathsome videos of Swen in armor, it dazzles the eyes of the common consumer into believing the BULLSHIT that Larian give a fuck about anything other than what's in their wallet.
thanks for reminding me of how dashing Swen is in his armor, going to go buy another copy to support him

Is Ironic. When Lord British(Richard Garriott) appears dressing in character, everyone loves. When Swen, everyone here hates... I an not comparing Swen to Richard Garriott. The Lord British is the founding father of CRPG, just saying how people hate LArian here.

ou and your enemies move simultaneously in RTWP, and the resulting attacks of opportunities are way different.

I love RtWP, mainly for large scale combat but RtWP makes initiative pointless

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

There are a lot of things to criticize on BG3

• The low AC high HP goblins
  • The Archdruids on lv 4.
  • The UI who is ultra polluted from spells, mainly Shadowheart spells
  • The awful low lv cap
  • The fact that the game is a sequel to BG3, but you don't see anything from BG2 story on it, not even an Aerie's child. He was pregnant on my last BG2 run
  • Only one melee companion
  • The bad optimization
  • The bug fest

More funds makes it possible for the developer to make better games.

Is the opposite. When the game budget is too big, devs needs to appeal to the lowest common denomimator to make the game profitable.

edit : the greatest problem with BG3 IMO is > https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=702614&page=1

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Until Ao told him to stop this shit, since the evil deities were complaining to him.
Correction: It was the Good deities who complained. All this Allahu Akbaring meant that brave Good people died young while Evil schemers became more cautious than ever AND that Good people stopped worshiping particular Good gods while the Evil prayed more fervently than ever to ensure their gods would save them from Kelemvor's personal hell. So the balance was skewing towards Evil both in the prime material, and in the planes, as Ao had very recently decreed that the gods would require mortal faith from now on to fuel their power.
Fair, but a correction to your correction - Ao and his decree concerning faith were a result of the Avatar Crisis, not Kelemvor and his actions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom