Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Episode 4: Vehicles and Styles

Silverfish

Arbiter
If the creator of Cyberpunk 2020 says that he is satisfied with the visual design, who are you to say otherwise?

The person CDPR wants $60 from.

Silverfish

Arbiter
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Niklasgunner

Savant
Looks like a real bad sequel to Vice City..........

RDHypVG.jpg

sSP5I9M.png

3zjTtJg.jpg

I've never seen garbage look so clean.

What on Earth are they doing even thinking of calling this "Cyperpunk"? Oh that's right, it's from the same fuckwits who made "Witcher 3:the Wild Hunt"........in which you do everything apart from interact with the Wild Hunt for 90% of the game.

:0-13:

"SJW Colours of Love & Diversity 2077"
how is this not cyberpunk? Not enough rain for you?

Falksi

Arcane
Looks like a real bad sequel to Vice City..........

RDHypVG.jpg

sSP5I9M.png

3zjTtJg.jpg

I've never seen garbage look so clean.

What on Earth are they doing even thinking of calling this "Cyperpunk"? Oh that's right, it's from the same fuckwits who made "Witcher 3:the Wild Hunt"........in which you do everything apart from interact with the Wild Hunt for 90% of the game.

:0-13:

"SJW Colours of Love & Diversity 2077"
how is this not cyberpunk? Not enough rain for you?

Yep. Rain, darkness, murkyness etc. Everything that people who actually know how to capture a mood use to create a real Cyberpunk feel.

Those fucking bin-bags look like they've been washed, polished and never seen dirt.

Looks like a real bad sequel to Vice City..
Looks like an actual cyberpunk setting where a society of people in full degeneracy mode actually live and do shit, rather than a moody Blade Runner wannabe.

I have my share of concerns about the game in terms of mechanics (I'm going to bet a generous sum that arbitrarily adding "levels" is just going to make the progression system shit) but the way they nailed the setting is definitely NOT one of them.

Falksi

Arcane
Looks like a real bad sequel to Vice City..
Looks like an actual cyberpunk setting where a society of people in full degeneracy mode actually live and do shit, rather than a moody Blade Runner wannabe.

I have my share of concerns about the game in terms of mechanics (I'm going to bet a generous sum that arbitrarily adding "levels" is just going to make the progression system shit) but the way they nailed the setting is definitely NOT one of them.

Logically maybe, emotively no.

Which personally matters more to me, and I'd say cyberpunk fans in general much prefer the Noir-esq feel.

The game has Fallout-esq sprites, and more in common with Rage than Bladerunner. Justifying that with what's "proper" doesn't wash with me mate.

And I don't know how any of that explains bin bags which look cleaner than the local restaurant's tablecloths.

Dr Schultz

Augur
This looks fucking atrocious. Like everyone involved with it has never heard, seen, read or watched anything remotely Cyberpunk in their lives.

Should be renamed "Nothing Remotely Like Cyberpunk at any point between 1977 & 2077"
Read a lot of cyberpunk, starting with Burning Chrome. Played CP 2020 as well, and I'm perfectly fine with the esthetic of Night City. Mike Pondsmith seems satisfied as well and - you know - he wrote the damn thing.
Gibson, on the other hand, complained about the first trailer of CP2077 when it was released.
So I think it's a matter of taste.

Generally speaking, I'm under the impression that people formed their idea of cyberpunk with Blade Runner - a movie based on a novel which technically isn't even cyberpunk - and complain any time something cyberpunk doesn't align with said movie.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

JFC people, if your biggest problem with the game is that the rubbish bags look too clean, it's gonna be fucking GOAT.

don't worry, it won't

Falksi

Arcane
This looks fucking atrocious. Like everyone involved with it has never heard, seen, read or watched anything remotely Cyberpunk in their lives.

Should be renamed "Nothing Remotely Like Cyberpunk at any point between 1977 & 2077"
Read a lot of cyberpunk, starting with Burning Chrome. Played CP 2020 as well, and I'm perfectly fine with the esthetic of Night City. Mike Pondsmith seems satisfied as well and - you know - he wrote the damn thing.
Gibson, on the other hand, complained about the first trailer of CP2077 when it was released.
So I think it's a matter of taste.

Generally speaking, I'm under the impression that people formed their idea of cyberpunk with Blade Runner - a movie based on a novel which technically isn't ever cyberpunk - and complain any time something cyberpunk doesn't align with said movie.

George Lucas was satisfied with how the Phantom Menace looked, so that don't count for much in my book.

Like you say, it's down to taste. Fair play to those who are happy with it, but I think it looks really lacking, flaky & light hearted. I just don't like my Cyberpunk like that, I want to feel the industry & metal choking mankind.

Prime Junta

Like you say, it's down to taste. Fair play to those who are happy with it, but I think it looks really lacking, flaky & light hearted. I just don't like my Cyberpunk like that, I want to feel the industry & metal choking mankind.

I'm still reserving judgment. I have strong reservations about some of the designs they've showcased. However I'm more optimistic about the overall design. For one thing, consider the sheer scale of the game. It's huge. If all of it was dark, rainy, and neon-lit, it would get stale fast. You need open air and sunlight to make those bits stand out, and just to keep the player from getting bored. You simply need more visual variety in a game with 50-plus hours of content.

Just to be upfront about it: if we are still talking about its aesthetic I don't just think it's ok. I think it looks exceptional. There, I said it.

It may very well be the most accomplished rendition of a cyberpunk setting I've ever seen so far in terms of variety, of giving the vibe of being an actual place where actual people live, etc,etc.
And NOT for the lack of familiarity with plenty of alternatives, either in movies, comics or narrative.

Prime Junta

I'm getting Moebius-esque vibes from the aesthetic. I quite like Moebius. Still I can't really judge before experiencing it for myself.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Generally speaking, I'm under the impression that people formed their idea of cyberpunk with Blade Runner - a movie based on a novel which technically isn't ever cyberpunk - and complain any time something cyberpunk doesn't align with said movie.
I think people simply associate cyberpunk vibe with futuristic aesthetics and themes from the 80's and 90's. Blade Runner, Terminator, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, CP 2020, Shadowrun and many more. There was always a lot of dystopian grittiness, harshness and darkness about anything involving cyberpunk elements. CP 2077, on the other hand, looks like a futuristic pastel version of GTA with people doing more swearing than necessary. The random hip-hop song makes it even more vomit provoking.

Dr Schultz

Augur
I think people simply associate cyberpunk vibe with futuristic aesthetics and themes from the 80's and 90's. Blade Runner, Terminator, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, CP 2020, Shadowrun and many more. There was always a lot of dystopian grittiness, harshness and darkness about anything involving cyberpunk elements. CP 2077, on the other hand, looks like a futuristic pastel version of GTA with people doing more swearing than necessary. The random hip-hop song makes it even more vomit provoking.

To me this is quite a narrow idea of the cyberpunk estethic. Neuromancer, the first proper cyberpunk novel, tells the story of a groups of mercs that goes around the world in order to complete their mission. They visit both shit holes and artificial paradises. The last part of the book is even set in a recreational satellite for rich people.

The idea that Blade Runner = Cyberpunk is insufficient at best. Also, speaking of cyberpunk movies alone, Ghost in the shell is full of scenes in broad daylight and Ghost in the shell 2 is an explosion of colors. I count the latter among the 3 best looking anime ever made

Last edited:

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
To me this is quite a narrow idea of the cyberpunk estethic.
(...)
The idea that Blade Runner = Cyberpunk is insufficient at best.
What exactly is narrow and who said that Blade Runner = cyberpunk? I, for one, named different franchises. Aesthetics don't have to be literally dark to be dark - as in gritty, unsettling etc.

Just listen to how the guy envisions the universe he created:

Looking at the pre-release materials, it seems pretty obvious that CP 2077 it's far from this.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm getting Moebius-esque vibes from the aesthetic. I quite like Moebius. Still I can't really judge before experiencing it for myself.
Banboo growing? Rain? Panda attacks? Shattered swords? Ninjas & Monks?

I know, riding in a cruiser with panda skin seats, holding out a sword in a joust vs cyclists in the rain. Your steering wheel is made of bamboo.

Dr Schultz

Augur
To me this is quite a narrow idea of the cyberpunk estethic.
(...)
The idea that Blade Runner = Cyberpunk is insufficient at best.
What exactly is narrow and who said that Blade Runner = cyberpunk? I, for one, named different franchises. Aesthetics don't have to be literally dark to be dark - as in gritty, unsettling etc.

Just listen to how the guy envisions the universe he created:

Looking at the pre-release materials, it seems pretty obvious that CP 2077 it's far from this.

https://youtu.be/2ZnrLMGaWhE

Not so obvious to me. In short, cyberpunk is about social darwinism and people using technology in the worst possible way. I see both things in spades here

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://youtu.be/2ZnrLMGaWhE

Not so obvious to me. In short, cyberpunk is about social darwinism and people using technology in the worst possible way. I see both things in spades here
It's rain wet streets; it's nights like this with fog rolling in, cars, faceless people going by, doing the thing that they're doing (...) they're are going by as shadows, in this wet, cold, dangerous environment.

Can you look at the pre-release materials and say with a straight face that this is how it looks and feels? To me cyberpunk was never only about certain themes, but also aesthetics and atmosphere. CP 2077 looks like they wanted to make is as cool and gangsta as possible, rather than focus on the dystopian aspect of the genre. It's not even the first time CDPR done something like that - they also abandoned the medieval Europe feel of the first Witcher in order to make it more accessible to mainstream US gamers.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I just realized I haven't watched any of the videos.

i knew a group of kids in the early 90s that only wanted alts with augmentations, robotics, and w/e to min/max their characters. They talked about it all the time.

Vatnik Wumao
For one thing, consider the sheer scale of the game. It's huge. If all of it was dark, rainy, and neon-lit, it would get stale fast. You need open air and sunlight to make those bits stand out, and just to keep the player from getting bored. You simply need more visual variety in a game with 50-plus hours of content.
Depends on the setting. I wouldn't mind an open world RPG set in the Shadowrun universe. And while you'd still have daylight, sleek corporate offices and what have you, it'd still be much more down-to-earth than Cyberpunk.

Not that I mind the route CPDR went for, mind you.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Falksi and his moron-level takes strike again. Every cyberpunk piece of media must be rainy night, no exceptions. JFC.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I just don't like my Cyberpunk like that, I want to feel the industry & metal choking mankind.

Isn't cyberpunk inherently post-industrial?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom