Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

The Decline

Arcane
The best time to upgrade to 4K is when your display dies and then whatever.
1080p is fine.

Fine is fine.

Or you find a good deal. Last week I replaced my 1080p 55" tv of 6 years with a new 4k 65" tv in part because it was a really good deal. I use it as my home theater tv and my pc display.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just speaking personally, but I think I'm not alone in this case.

It's going to take more than ONE good deal.

I have a 1080P TV.
I have 2 1080P monitors Screens. One of these is IPS.
I have a 1080P capable gaming rig.

From the moment I upgrade one, the whole set up is unbalanced.
Sure I can play on 4k on my monitor, but really, what I want is to play on the couch.
Yeah but if I play on the couch, I need to upgrade to a 4K TV where it's hardly noticeable.
Yeah but if I do that I need to upgrade my graphic card.
And I also need to upgrade my movie/video content to 4K.

Ideally, the 4K upgrading costs is to replace the three displays PLUS the graphic card.
All of this for a barely noticeable improvement and a FPS drop ?

Count me out. I doubt, again, that I'm alone on this fence. I will move to 4K, one day, progressively, when the hardware dies. I'm more willing to admit that there is a difference, but it's just not worth it.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Count me out. I doubt, again, that I'm alone on this fence. I will move to 4K, one day, progressively, when the hardware dies. I'm more willing to admit that there is a difference, but it's just not worth it.

I agree.

For me upgrading to 4K in my living room would mean upgrading my home theater pre-amp to something with XLR outputs that is capable of handling 4K. And that type of pre-amp isn't cheap.

Also, 99.99% of media I have is 1080p or lower. Spending thousands of dollars to upgrade everything for the sake of 0.01% of content doesn't seem worth it to me.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
4k TVs are cheap as fuck these days, even the one I have right now cost me 500 euros like 3 years ago. And supports HDR 10 and other shit. If you want a decent oled instead then you gotta pump out another 1000 euros but its prob worth it. I'm not planning to upgrade the TV for at least 5 more years so this one will have to do.

What Im planning to upgrade is the PC next year and its prob gonna be all AMD if benchmarks are decent.
So pretty much everything except the case and ssds needs to change. Thats gonna be ca 2000 without the monitor. Decent motherboard, 5800x, big navi, 2 nvmes, new psu and cpu cooling and at least 32 gb ram.
Now when I think about it dont think that 2k euros will cut it.
And you fuckers bitch about 4k TVs like its a big cost.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
You'll prolly be able to pick up massive 55inch newer model OLEDs for around a grand this black friday. I see deals regularly in the uk, I just can't justify it right now when I have a C7. Even though I'd love the new features.

Considering that an 'exceptional' large VA monitor can sell for around £700... I dunno lads. Seems like a no brainer to me if you care about picture quality over all else. It's night and day what a good HDR implementation can do on a self emissive display technology.

Myself personally, I'll prolly buy the final gen 4k OLED LG will sell before they go 8k. Because 8k is just.... Jesus.

"Massive debt" would mean he doesn't have a nickel to his name, which is wrong. He is actually still a self-made billionaire and not a single "news" report from the NYT will change that.

Self-made when his father was rich? Billionaire when he owes more than his assets? You can like Trump and his politics all you want, but denying facts to prop him up makes you look like his bitch. He's gamed the system well, good on him, but "successful with money?"
Trump's dad wasn't a billionaire. Donald Trump, however, is.

Anyway, I was just stating the obvious, but your severe TDS is obviously triggering you.

Last edited:

Gamezor

Learned
I’m struggling to find a reason to buy one of these at this point. I have a PS4 pro and current xbox one x and a 4k tv. I have a ton of games i’ve never played and the graphics all look good enough to me. Low load times would be cool I guess?

Edit: Corrected name of the xbox one x I currently own. What the fuck were they thinking with the naming scheme? It's like the Wii and the Wii U.

Last edited:

Gamezor

Learned
Smells poorfag reasoning or Gretas fellowship of virtue signalling.

When people do something they enjoy like drinking wine or some shit they usually skip the cheapest bottle. Your reasoning is like booking a vacation to some greek island with nice beaches and hoping it rains the whole week you're there.

Argument of "I enjoy games more when I cap em to 30 fps" when you could have better and smoother gameplay at 60 looks like a poor attempt of self-flagellation. First world problems and all.

In other news, my Kishi arrived. Got a 2 week code for Gamepass Ultimate for new accounts in the package, if someone wants to try it out, lemme know.

Quality is comparable to regular Xbone controller besides L2/R2 buttons that are bit squeaky. Compact pocket size, bit smaller than the xbone controller without the palm grips when closed. So far so good.

How is the kishi with game pass streaming?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
4k TVs are cheap as fuck these days, even the one I have right now cost me 500 euros like 3 years ago. And supports HDR 10 and other shit.

A lot of the super cheap ones have really shit HDR that looks worse than SDR, but you can get a good one for relatively little compared to what they were. Especially if you're fine with a full array local dimming LCD, which is what I have. OLED is better, but if you're not super anal or sitting in pitch black then FALD LCD is pretty damn good.

On a PC forum though I feel compelled to point out that good PC monitors with proper HDR and FALD are still insanely expensive.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

When people do something they enjoy like drinking wine or some shit they usually skip the cheapest bottle. Your reasoning is like booking a vacation to some greek island with nice beaches and hoping it rains the whole week you're there.

Argument of "I enjoy games more when I cap em to 30 fps" when you could have better and smoother gameplay at 60 looks like a poor attempt of self-flagellation. First world problems and all.

In other news, my Kishi arrived. Got a 2 week code for Gamepass Ultimate for new accounts in the package, if someone wants to try it out, lemme know.

Quality is comparable to regular Xbone controller besides L2/R2 buttons that are bit squeaky. Compact pocket size, bit smaller than the xbone controller without the palm grips when closed. So far so good.

So far its acceptable. Its a simple connect and play via usb c, just plug it in and thats it. Been derping a bit again in Surge 2 and Super Luckys Tale and latency is really good, barely noticable. And I only played on 4G, didnt use my home router at all. There is a bit of artifacting on screen sometimes but overall its a decent 8/10. Keep in mind its still 720p stream.

Im even more impressed with console streaming, could connect to my home console at work via 4G and stream games that way. Also low latency, dont know how they pulled it off. Think it would be more useful when Cyberpunk comes out cause I doubt its gonna end up on Gamepass.

4k TVs are cheap as fuck these days, even the one I have right now cost me 500 euros like 3 years ago. And supports HDR 10 and other shit.

A lot of the super cheap ones have really shit HDR that looks worse than SDR, but you can get a good one for relatively little compared to what they were. Especially if you're fine with a full array local dimming LCD, which is what I have. OLED is better, but if you're not super anal or sitting in pitch black then FALD LCD is pretty damn good.

On a PC forum though I feel compelled to point out that good PC monitors with proper HDR and FALD are still insanely expensive.
I did check out a few reviews before buying and waited for a sale. I wanted a TV with ambilight cause I think it looks cool, relatively low latency in game mode and a decent HDR support. It doesnt have Dolby Vision but I'll survive.

Gamezor

Learned

So far its acceptable. Its a simple connect and play via usb c, just plug it in and thats it. Been derping a bit again in Surge 2 and Super Luckys Tale and latency is really good, barely noticable. And I only played on 4G, didnt use my home router at all. There is a bit of artifacting on screen sometimes but overall its a decent 8/10. Keep in mind its still 720p stream.

Im even more impressed with console streaming, could connect to my home console at work via 4G and stream games that way. Also low latency, dont know how they pulled it off. Think it would be more useful when Cyberpunk comes out cause I doubt its gonna end up on Gamepass.

I did check out a few reviews before buying and waited for a sale. I wanted a TV with ambilight cause I think it looks cool, relatively low latency in game mode and a decent HDR support. It doesnt have Dolby Vision but I'll survive.

Holy shit had no idea you could also do the console streaming with the Xbone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Sounds similar to me, I got a nice Samsung QLED in a good sale that has FALD, great HDR (1500 peak nits) and HRD 10, but is not a fancy OLED with Dolby Vision. I think it still looks great. I don't really use it for gaming though, I only play on PC and have a 1440p monitor and desk for that. I used to move my PC to the main TV for controller games like Dark Souls, but ever since we had a kiddo that's a less fun option.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
EkT2ILLXgAgm-5i

Venser

Erudite
It's just PS4 menu lol. Hope it at least have features for tracking time spent playing each game. Desperately needs a profile screen revamp too.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Sold my ps4 today for 250 euros, not a bad deal. Now the hard choice, invest 50 euros extra for a series s or another 250 for a series x. I have a 1080p tv only, so the S would probably be the better choice but not sure of it's even capable to 1080p 60fps all the games coming out on xbox

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Series S is less powerful than the Xbox One X, it literally can't even run last-gen games at the same settings as a One X.

I don't see any reason to get one other than being EXTREMELY strapped for cash, but then at that point I'd ask why even buy something as frivolous to begin with.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think there will be more differences between the S and X than just 1080p vs. 4k. It's not just that the GPU is less than half as powerful, it's also that the memory bandwidth and some other things are cut back, from what I've read. I expect it'll have other things like shadows or textured turned down. Maybe less ray tracing. How much that matters is up to you. Things like draw distance and NPC numbers will likely be the same since the processor is.

The real answer is to get an RTX 3070. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom