Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Occult_dnd.png

Thanks, still number 2 behind phasmophobia I see. Very nice
Imagine having 300+ employees and you can't even make a game better than phantasma. This is why you can't judge a game by how much it sells. It's just stupid. It's a shit game that appeals to twitch and cinematic-wanting degenerates. Larian's essence is baked into anything they have a part in making, making anything they produce horrible

They are the new Bethesda. Can't wait for its inevitable demise.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Imagine having 300+ employees and you can't even make a game better than phantasma. This is why you can't judge a game by how much it sells. It's just stupid. It's a shit game that appeals to twitch and cinematic-wanting degenerates. Larian's essence is baked into anything they have a part in making, making anything they produce horrible

Does it mean that we are going to get Obsidian's take on Divinity: Original Sin in 2030? :bounce:

I have 64GB of RAM, great Vid card and a brand new SSD. Game still doesn't run as well as I hoped.

You may have a bottleneck somewhere, I play on a laptop with a 1060 6GB, an i7-7700HQ and 32GB of ram.
When I had 8GB and the game was installed on an HDD it was basically unplayable in Vulkan and everything took minutes to render in DX11 with a silky smooth 5-10 FPS on the outside world map, after installing the game on an SSD and switching to 32GB the game runs at 60FPS in ultra with occasional dips in the 5X range.
Depending on your issues/hardware you may want to switch API. I read several posts about users with RTX 2XXX cards that had issues with Vulkan.

I play other games perfectly fine though. Maybe it's just incompatible with Vulcan? I'm not gonna modify my gig just to play a shitty, unoptimized EA game lol...

Does it mean that we are going to get Obsidian's take on Divinity: Original Sin in 2030? :bounce:

Oh god, please no...

On a serious note, Obsidian looks like a saint compared to Larian. Even unrefined game like POE2 is miles better than this crap. I didn't know how lucky I had it when I shitted on POE2...I mean, it's still shit, but not as shit now that I've seen this abomination.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Obsidian looks like a saint compared to Larian.

Not so sure about that one. I mean, I liked PoE 1 & 2 more than D:OS 1 & 2, which I still liked too, but can shady scumbags be called 'saints'? What with them also doing early access with that 'grounded' thing. And they've got Microsoft backing them for Pete's sake!

Scumbags. F'ing scumbags all around.

Please don't buy games in Early Access. Or if you do, at least never dare bitch about microtransactions, crap DLC, battle passes, season passes, loot boxes,... whatever, any and all of the shady stuff these companies pull. It's all the same. It's all about greedy companies trying to take advantage of you.

Gargaune

Magister
No, you can't, not without first reducing those various Oath morals to a set of common generic tags which then you can actually script a monitoring mechanic against. [...]
I'll stop you right there: you can't do it without first reducing those various oaths morals to a set of common generic tags? Then reduce those various oaths morals to a set of common generic tags. You still can't get a system more simplistic than the alignments' one, since there you only have the "good/bad" tags.

Further, without having a feedback scale of how you rank against said values, you either make a Paladin fall at the first infraction or not at all.
Then implement a feedback scale. Give the paladin a starting score and then modify it base on his actions.

What's your point?
Well... Nothing beyond what you just described, really. Common generic tags, feedback scale, in other words...

This:

257406.jpg
Or some variation of it, whatever, just as long as Paladins aren't burning down orphanages and Malarite Clerics aren't rescuing kittens. It's a shame, 'cause Swen wanted to something with it, but he got told off by Wizards.

Elex

Arbiter
Oh boy, I hope you never play POE2's turn based mode. Initiative is truly pointless there.

The biggest problem is that the combat is ultra slow, not initiative... And due hp bloat and fact that spells and weapons, mostly firearms are extremely lackluster and has low lethatliy...

Anyway, Played a little more of BG3 now. An lv 4 spider with 138 hp. That is enough to soak 20 heavy crossbow bolts assuming average damage. I really miss old 2e where Vecna a demigod legendary lich had 150 hp. Nothing is more boring than hp bloat, except hp bloat in a turn based game with slow animations and no concurrent turns... 5e is already a low lethality edition.
it's not HP bloat when a lvl 1 spell crit can deal 60 damage.

a 138 HP boss with a party of 4 people at lvl 4 mean the boss will survive 2-3 round at max.

now people start to understand why a party of 6 is not a great thing? you want 200HP bosses at lvl 4?

Last edited:

Varnaan

Augur
Please don't buy games in Early Access.
Why?
I bought two games in early access, Kenshi a million years ago and now BG3.
Kenshi is a great game and the first act of BG3 is already pretty good.
I've had more fun so far with BG3 than with PoE, haven't played White March yet, or PoE 2, or even OS and OS2.
It's not the big bad industry's fault if people fall for scams like Ark.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyway, Played a little more of BG3 now. An lv 4 spider with 138 hp. That is enough to soak 20 heavy crossbow bolts assuming average damage. I really miss old 2e where Vecna a demigod legendary lich had 150 hp.
What the fuck is this shit? lol This is still DnD, right?

The matriarch spider, when you enter in a "cave" near goblin village has it. A Ownbear which I fought had about 80 hp too.
HPs are an abstraction, they mean nothing on their own. 80, 130, 2.500 are just meaningless numbers. You can't directly compare them to "how many crossbow bolts you need to deplete them", because depleting HPs doesn't necessarily imply actually wounding your enemy:

Hit points represent a combination of physical and mental durability, the will to live, and luck. Creatures with more hit points are more difficult to kill. Those with fewer hit points are more fragile.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuark lads, no brakes on this train.

Nr. 1 on best selling.

LVt2YGP.png
That means nothing when you are competing with a remaster of hater rts and preorder for a game that was on the market for two years now.

Also i wouldn't mind you as brother in law,you are an edgy bastard,we will have good drinking nights yo.

Not much competitiion admittedly, only Cyberspunk is any challenge, that doesn't mean its not selling well, especially for EA. How many games can claim to break steam.
Ahh this a superficial information,that is my point,not that the game doesn't sell well. Also breaking steam lol,steam having problem when bg3 is selling doesn't mean that it is the cause of steam having problems. If a million sold copies could break steam,well it would have broke a long time ago :). Since there is no actual sale chart that shows how much copies had been sold,it makes the whole #1 on steam kind off irrelevant. I just roll my eyes when people brag about games being numba won on steal sales for the week lol. My deep economic's autism gets triggered :).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
HPs are an abstraction, they mean nothing on their own. 80, 130, 2.500 are just meaningless numbers. You can't directly compare them to "how many crossbow bolts you need to deplete them", because depleting HPs doesn't necessarily imply actually wounding your enemy:

Is a abstraction but hp bloat makes the game slow and booooring...

a 138 HP boss with a party of 4 people at lvl 4 mean the boss will survive 2-3 round at max.

now people start to understand why a party of 6 is not a great thing? you want 200HP bosses at lvl 4?

Crits only happens in 5% of times and Crit + good rolls are very rare.

Seriously. Firkraag on BG2 had 184 hp; An dragon boss with 184...

Murk

Arcane
RE: Main plot

The Mindflayer thing is really just an excuse to get things rolling, and while the main story itself isn't the greatest in narrative, the side quests are pretty neat and often have multiple (pretty different) resolutions. Even the smaller skill checks inbetween have decently impactful consequences of characters dying/leaving/being angry and not helping/etc.

They all loosely tie in together, which is nice.

I'm really impressed with the verticality in the game so far, and while the camera sometimes bugs out, I'll take that as a price to pay to be able to close off choke points, knock enemies off ledges so they can't get to me, throw objects, leap from area to area, etc. Just opens up many more options.

I hope they really have more stuff like jumping into cellars or accessing the underdark with featherfall.

I don't mean just jumping/landing into places, I mean more ways to use your in-game abilities and otherwise relatively useless spells in cool ways.

Gargaune

Magister

I mean, you can only judge enemy HP relative to how much hurt the player dishes out per round, and that's a combination of damage figures and hit chance, among other things. I don't have the EA so I dunno, but in one set of circumstances Firkraag and his 184 HP constitute a boss encounter, in another your garden variety Greater Temple Bugbear and his ~120 HP are cheap enough that you get 23 of 'em in a box.

Sharpedge

Prophet

You can finish that fight in 3 rounds solo. With more party members, even less.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean, you can only judge enemy HP relative to how much hurt the player dishes out per round, and that's a combination of damage figures and hit chance, among other things. I don't have the EA so I dunno, but in one set of circumstances Firkraag and his 184 HP constitute a boss encounter, in another your garden variety Greater Temple Bugbear and his ~120 HP are cheap enough that you get 23 of 'em in a box.

And I did it. Finger of Death deals on average 60.5 damage on 5e if the enemy fails on the save. On 2e and 3.5e, was possible to OHK dragons with it. An spell that could OHK dragons now needs 3 casts to kill a lv 4 mob... If this is not bloat and low lethality, what is?

Using gimmicky environmental iterations.

BG3 will be much better WHEN(not if) people mod the real AC and HP values for enemies.

People complained a lot about unfair on kingmaker by bloating enemy stats which is a optional difficulty which people who hate bloat like myself can chose not play. Why BG3 inflating enemy HP in a mandatory way is a good thing? Only cuz you can solve a gimmicky puzzle and kill the boss?

Sharpedge

Prophet

And I did it. Finger of Death deals on average 60.5 damage on 5e if the enemy fails on the save. On 2e and 3.5e, was possible to OHK dragons with it. An spell that could OHK dragons now needs 3 casts to kill a lv 4 mob... If this is not bloat and low lethality, what is?

Using gimmicky environmental iterations.

BG3 will be much better WHEN(not if) people mod the real AC and HP values for enemies.

People complained a lot about unfair on kingmaker by bloating enemy stats which is a optional difficulty which people who hate bloat like myself can chose not play. Why BG3 inflating enemy HP in a mandatory way is a good thing? Only cuz you can solve a gimmicky puzzle and kill the boss?
Wait till the spider walks onto the web so you can target it at range. Attack from stealth -> Surprise round. With a party consisting of 1x mage, 1x hunter, 1x cleric, 1x warlock. Round 1:

• Mage uses upcasted magic missiles with the amulet, average damage of 28.
• Warlock uses Hex+Eldritch Blast, average damage of ~13 after taking into account hit chance.
• Hunter uses Hunter's Mark+attack, average damage of ~15.
• Cleric uses Guided Bolt, average damage of ~14.

During the surprise round you have dealt ~70 damage to the spider boss. If 1 person, lets say the warlock, had targeted the web instead, they would do 48 damage instead of 13 damage, taking the total up to 105. Either way, provided nobody dies, the spider dies in 2 rounds. Environmental gimmicks not required.

Gargaune

Magister

Ah, ok, I see what you mean. But is that due the spell getting the Sawyer treatment or HP bloat? For example, if you take a stereotypical level 4 party (Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue) with middling resources and ignoring Larian's environmental gimmicks, how many rounds would you expect? Oh, and what's the creature's AC? I'm not arguing here, I'm genuinely curious since I see others saying you can whack in three or four rounds, and that doesn't sound like low lethality for a miniboss.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Has the codex declined enough that sales are now an argument for a game's quality?
Following this logic we should all embrace true master pieces like Fallout4, Skyrim and diablo 3.

hqdefault.jpg

I'll try shilling, that's a good trick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom