Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Why would anyone want a sequel to the BG games?
The story is finished, just let it go.
You should say that to swen next time you pass by to give a blow job.
But it's clearly a new story that, unless there are major story changes(possible), has little to do with the bhaalspawn saga.
Not my fault BG3 has more to do with baldur's gate than BG2 does.

Ranarama

Learned
I just want to take a moment to point out how ridiculous it is that hotbars still go from '1' to '='. If your hand is on the mouse you cannot fucking reach '='.
There's an entire fucking left half of the keyboard they could be using for default keybindings. This seems like something that's just blatantly copied from game to game without any thought put into it.

So? You put rare situation things there, or pre-encounter buffs. It just means you don't have to fuck about with menus and if you put all your buffs around say 6 to = then you never have to remember what set you've picked.

Codex Year of the Donut
I just want to take a moment to point out how ridiculous it is that hotbars still go from '1' to '='. If your hand is on the mouse you cannot fucking reach '='.
There's an entire fucking left half of the keyboard they could be using for default keybindings. This seems like something that's just blatantly copied from game to game without any thought put into it.

So? You put rare situation things there, or pre-encounter buffs. It just means you don't have to fuck about with menus and if you put all your buffs around say 6 to = then you never have to remember what set you've picked.
It would be faster to just click them than take your hand off your mouse or reach across the keyboard to hit '='.
It's bad UX.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
But it's clearly a new story that, unless there are major story changes(possible), has little to do with the bhaalspawn saga.
And yet people care about the name Baldur's Gate mostly BECAUSE of BG2 and not the city itself.

Codex Year of the Donut
And yet people care about the name Baldur's Gate mostly BECAUSE of BG2 and not the city itself.
most people who cared about the original BG games don't even play video games anymore, they're married and have kids.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
most people who cared about the original BG games don't even play video games anymore, they're married and have kids.
The point is, Larian is using the name of games they don't care about for a soulless cashgrab that is no different in principal than Fallout3.

Codex Year of the Donut
The point is, Larian is using the name of games they don't care about for a soulless cashgrab that is no different in principal than Fallout3.
Larian is taking games that shat on the source material and making a faithful adaptation you mean
:swen:

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Larian is taking games that shat on the source material and making a faithful adaptation you mean
yeah D&D is all about gimmicky surfaces and barrels everywhere.:retarded:

Codex Year of the Donut
yeah D&D is all about gimmicky surfaces and barrels everywhere.:retarded:
everyone knows that D&D was really about pregnant women fighting in combat

Who cares, no one was going to make a “real” Baldur’s Gate anyways. And for all the flaws Larian games have, I can’t relate at all to thinking that it’s like Fallout 3. Even with the dumb shit I’d still prefer a Larian party based tactical rpg over Fallout 4, Skyrim, Witcher, and all sorts of dumb normie games

I kind of respect that even in this age of decline and after making shitloads of money Larian is still making turn based party rpgs. Real cash grab would be making Mass Effect or Witcher style game that will appeal to 1000% more normies

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

Who cares, no one was going to make a “real” Baldur’s Gate anyways. And for all the flaws Larian games have, I can’t relate at all to thinking that it’s like Fallout 3. Even with the dumb shit I’d still prefer a Larian party based tactical rpg over Fallout 4, Skyrim, Witcher, and all sorts of dumb normie games

I kind of respect that even in this age of decline and after making shitloads of money Larian is still making turn based party rpgs. Real cash grab would be making Mass Effect or Witcher style game that will appeal to 1000% more normies
Yeah I'm not the biggest Larian fan either, but even if I got sick of D:OS1 and didn't much care for D:OS2, I think their heart is in the right place.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
But knowing this you react to everything he says like he wants, so who's sucking whos dick?
sWqNmqT.jpg
Sorry, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

"Larian makes games that are better than Fallout 4, therefore I love them." Hmmm...maybe we've found that bigger fanboy I was just talking about.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Real cash grab would be making Mass Effect or Witcher style game that will appeal to 1000% more normies

I'm sorry to break it to you but BG3 still appeals to normies. Just look at the marketing - Expensive cinematics that rival scenes from the Avengers, SEX, Stacking Barrels (normies still find this impressive after 3 games). 40k lines of voiced dialog. Shitty World of Warcraft graphics. I could go on. Yeah it's a cash grab. They didn't even try to hide the fact.

Last edited:

Yeah I'm not the biggest Larian fan either, but even if I got sick of D:OS1 and didn't much care for D:OS2, I think their heart is in the right place.

Their heart might be in the right place (doubtful), but their ability certainly leaves much to be desired.

I'm sorry to break it to you but BG3 still appeals to normies. Just look at the marketing - Expensive cinematics that rival scenes from the Avengers, SEX, Stacking Barrels (normies still find this impressive after 3 games). Spouting repeatedly on the stream there's 40k lines of voiced dialogue.. only people who don't care about quality would be impressed by that. I could go on. Yeah it's a cash grab. They didn't even try to hide the fact.

Maybe more people experience turn based d&d (even in mall cafeteria form) and get turned on to other good shit like kingmaker, underrail, AoD etc. Rising tide raises all boats.

And I don’t really care if the game has more cinematics instead of in-game scripted scenes or whatever, that has a marginal impact on whether I enjoy it or not. Pure shit combat like Witcher 3 is way more of deal for me since I’m mostly a combatfag

Drakortha

Liturgist
Maybe more people experience turn based d&d (even in mall cafeteria form) and get turned on to other good shit like kingmaker, underrail, AoD etc. Rising tide raises all boats.

There is no rising tide, this is it. BG3 is top tier, it sells better and gets more attention than any of those games you just mentioned. If anything, going forward we will just see more games try to copy Larian's formula, which was the case when Skyrim was a smash hit. Remember how many quality games were spawned because of that game?

Here's a Youtubers take on the game if you don't believe me.

Last edited:

There is no rising tide, this is it. BG3 is top tier, it sells better and gets more attention than any of those games you just mentioned. If anything, going forward we will just see more games try to copy Larian's formula, which was the case when Skyrim was a smash hit. Remember how many quality games were spawned because of that game?

Here's a Youtubers take on the game if you don't believe me.

This Youtuber is extremely retarded. Look at his past videos if you don't believe me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom