Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
From the larian writer who was streaming:
there will be at least eight companions, possibly some who aren't origin characters.
evil route definitely needs more work, currently feels too much like a cartoon villain
playing as a custom character felt underwhelming in DoS2, don't want it to happen again in BG3
Kagha is going to see heavy rewriting(in line in with the above evil route rewrite, I assume), feels too one dimensional.
EA is definitely not all of act 1, moonrise towers are part of act 1 <- this one is kind of interesting, the EA is already pretty big.
if lae'zal dies on the ship you find her corpse on the beach, you're meant to be able to resurrect her but it's currently not in

I can already list two of them - Minsc (obviously) and either Coran or his bastard son (he's already with Minsc and made a secret deal with a Devil, so even his story arc fits the game).

BarbequeMasta

Learned
I'm sorry to break it to you but BG3 still appeals to normies. Just look at the marketing - Expensive cinematics that rival scenes from the Avengers, SEX, Stacking Barrels (normies still find this impressive after 3 games). Spouting repeatedly on the stream there's 40k lines of voiced dialogue.. only people who don't care about quality would be impressed by that. I could go on. Yeah it's a cash grab. They didn't even try to hide the fact.

Maybe more people experience turn based d&d (even in mall cafeteria form) and get turned on to other good shit like kingmaker, underrail, AoD etc. Rising tide raises all boats.

And I don’t really care if the game has more cinematics instead of in-game scripted scenes or whatever, that has a marginal impact on whether I enjoy it or not. Pure shit combat like Witcher 3 is way more of deal for me since I’m mostly a combatfag
Honestly I dont think even fabulously optimistic is enough for this.

Codex Year of the Donut
Also, I've found act 2 information so I'm guessing some of it is already in the game and someone found a way to access it
ayyy
7NNsBEf.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Also, I've found act 2 information so I'm guessing some of it is already in the game and someone found a way to access it
ayyy
7NNsBEf.png
How to get there:
You need a way to revive a dead party member by themselves. I don't know of a good way to do it, so I used cheatengine to inject a revive call to the Osiris API.
You start the underdark boat fight, one char jumps off, get teleported dead to your camp, revive them somehow, then have the others jump off and revive them typically. Rest, because you'll have another fight.
Go back to the beach after resting, kill the duergar, take the skiff again, it takes you to the duergar camp.

Codex Year of the Donut
From the larian writer who was streaming:
there will be at least eight companions, possibly some who aren't origin characters.
evil route definitely needs more work, currently feels too much like a cartoon villain
playing as a custom character felt underwhelming in DoS2, don't want it to happen again in BG3
Kagha is going to see heavy rewriting(in line in with the above evil route rewrite, I assume), feels too one dimensional.
EA is definitely not all of act 1, moonrise towers are part of act 1 <- this one is kind of interesting, the EA is already pretty big.
if lae'zal dies on the ship you find her corpse on the beach, you're meant to be able to resurrect her but it's currently not in

I can already list two of them - Minsc (obviously) and either Coran or his bastard son (he's already with Minsc and made a secret deal with a Devil, so even his story arc fits the game).
I already know who the planned 3 are
give me a bit and I'll see if I can get them spawned ingame

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Maybe more people experience turn based d&d (even in mall cafeteria form) and get turned on to other good shit like kingmaker, underrail, AoD etc. Rising tide raises all boats.

From of your list maybe only Kingmaker had a decent chance, but that ain't saying much.
The rest of list?, there's no way in hell normies will like that kind of game (No Cinematic, no fully 3D graphic, no CO-OP, no twitch integration and other bullshit)

Even looking the game at the first glance will turn away most of normies without giving it a second thought, you really must be pretty optimistic if this game will turn normies to look other games that basically better than anything larian has to offer.

Those fan will only look game like larian provided and thinks this is the ultimate peak evolution of CRPG and no one do it better justice than them.

Oh boy, I hope you never play POE2's turn based mode. Initiative is truly pointless there.

The biggest problem is that the combat is ultra slow, not initiative...
Pathfinder: Kingmaker's turn-based mode has the same problems. All it really does is slow down RTwP combat to a crawl, as a true turn-based game plays rather differently.

All things considered, it kind of makes you wonder when someone claims that Kingmaker in RTwP mode is unplayable trash, but absolutely fantastic in turn-based mode...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Probably because she's just an amalgamation of anti-Trump memes.

"PUT THAT CHILD IN A CAGE! I NEED TO BUILD MY WALL AND MAKE THE DRUID GROVE GREAT AGAIN! AHAHAHAHA!"
I don't really see it tbh.
You did uncover her letter and then went to the meeting spot, right?
Nope. *sigh*

Refugees, building a wall, kids in cages, orange hair (instead of skin) - it was just a little too on point.

Maybe she wasn't a complete Trump clone, but she was pretty close. Not everything is straight orange man bad. Sometimes lefties like "nuance".

Oh boy, I hope you never play POE2's turn based mode. Initiative is truly pointless there.

The biggest problem is that the combat is ultra slow, not initiative...
Pathfinder: Kingmaker's turn-based mode has the same problems. All it really does is slow down RTwP combat to a crawl, as a true turn-based game plays rather differently.

All things considered, it kind of makes you wonder when someone claims that Kingmaker in RTwP mode is unplayable trash, but absolutely fantastic in turn-based mode...
The problem with converting a RTWP game to TB is that RTWP games usually have really stupid encounter design with lots of trash mobs.

That said, I still haven't tried the TB mode.

btw:

SpoItvk.jpg

Not sure if I shared this yet, but this is the second to the last (or last?) prompt you get once you've used the power over a certain limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say Kingmaker's combat is almost unplayable garbage in RTwP, but gets redeemed by the TB mode. There are animation speed sliders.
>Kingmaker in normal (fast) mode = bad
>Kingmaker in slow mode = good

I don't get it, but whatever. I'd personally take a true turn-based CRPG over that pseudo turn-based, slow-motion trash in Kingmaker any day.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The differences don't boil down to "faster" and "slower". RTwP in that game is chaotic, inelegant, and just plain not good. TB brings much needed structure and pacing. And like I said, there are animation speed sliders.

Last edited:

Performance is real bad, but at least this EA has less bugs than Bethesda's releases.
People who say EA is buggy must have not been around for the release of many mainstream RPGs.

BG series, NWN series, IWD series - all had tons of bugs on release.

The BG3 EA feels more complete, stable and bug-free than the initial release of NWN2, Bloodlines and ToEE.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I'm not sure how many people even played it RAW, I think most people did it the way it was changed to in 3E. Even many 2E supplements seemed to imply this.
But yes, 2E RAW wouldn't have worked like a lot of people seem to think it would. But 2E initiative was a simplification of what came before....

On a somewhat related tangent, I believe one of the first attempts at laying out an initiative system was in Supplement III Eldritch Wizardry and it was really hard to understand. IIRC, it breaks each melee round down into eight segments.

It's my understanding that everyone declares actions first and then initiative is rolled to determine whose actions go first.

dudes

http://knights-n-knaves.com/dmprata/ADDICT.pdf (or https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11849 if you prefer the long road)

i think modern computers are still too dumb to implement proper AD&D combat

btw, starting a game as a gith is pretty cool since a lot of options are completely different

Gargaune

Magister
Again with RTWP and TB.... I can design you 20 TB's that's going to suck ass and 20 RTWPs. Turn based does not make game good by default.
We're on the Codex, half the local fauna would line up with their pants around their ankles if only Bobo and Cletus promised to take them in turns.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Performance is real bad, but at least this EA has less bugs than Bethesda's releases.

What's your PC like? Would never call mine great (R1600+1660S+8GB), but the performance really is great (on Vulcan). I was very surprised by that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom