Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Performance is real bad, but at least this EA has less bugs than Bethesda's releases.

What's your PC like? Would never call mine great (R1600+1660S+8GB), but the performance really is great (on Vulcan). I was very surprised by that.
I tested it and the game is really unfriendly to my hardware in particular. Changing graphics from max to min has no effect on the performance, weirdly enough.

Codex Year of the Donut
Performance is real bad, but at least this EA has less bugs than Bethesda's releases.

What's your PC like? Would never call mine great (R1600+1660S+8GB), but the performance really is great (on Vulcan). I was very surprised by that.
I tested it and the game is really unfriendly to my hardware in particular. Changing graphics from max to min has no effect on the performance, weirdly enough.
Tried the DX11 version? I've heard the vulkan version has issues on some hardware.

Varnaan

Augur

From experience and what I have learned :
If you have an RTX 2XXX use DX11.
8GB of RAM is borderline because the game has memory leaks, on my machine it typically averages 10GB of RAM usage.
HDD are a bottleneck for the game, if you don't have an SSD to install it to I wouldn't even bother playing for now.
The game is relatively light on your GPU and previous gen GTX 1XXX run it fine.
CPU doesn't seem to overload but I haven't really checked it on my old FX-8350.

Tried the DX11 version? I've heard the vulkan version has issues on some hardware.
Just turned off v-sync in dx11 and it fixed all the lags (did not work in Vulkan version for some reason). All good.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The thing about larian I think is the worse is their area design philosophy.
I'm pretty sure BG2 had a similar progression where zones were locked out/you were unable to go back to certain areas in specific chapters.
Considering BG3 has a similar world map as the IE games when you reach an area transition point I think it's silly to assume like that based on OS.
Wrong. You could revisit absolutely all the unlocked locations in BG2 except for the Irenicus dungeon (first location) and Hell (the very last location).

What about the Sahaugin city?

Codex Year of the Donut
There's three more unused origins in the files, no idea if they'll end up used or not. I think they meant to remove all references to them in the EA build but missed a file.
referred to as
Origin_TheKid
Origin_RedWizard
Origin_Sylvira

Sylvira is a rather important character from descent into avernus btw

These are unrelated to Karlach, Minsc, or Helia(AKA Den leader) btw

oh and there's one referred to as ORIGIN8, but it could be any of the above.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
engine is incredibly moddable btw, I'd be surprised if basically every possible option from the core rules aren't implemented in some form via mods within a year of release
Took me about 30 seconds after posting this to make a tiny mod to increase Detect Thoughts from 10 turns to 100 turns :M
going to be nice when we actually get the devkit
most abilities can easily be tweaked via a simple override
e.g., jump/disengage as a standard action rather than bonus
jumpy-joomp.png
If they add a toolkit to this to better facilitate modding, I wonder if we will finally see modders move away from Skyrim. Either way, when the game is fully released its definitely something ill mess around with.

GloomFrost

Arcane
The thing about larian I think is the worse is their area design philosophy.
I'm pretty sure BG2 had a similar progression where zones were locked out/you were unable to go back to certain areas in specific chapters.
Considering BG3 has a similar world map as the IE games when you reach an area transition point I think it's silly to assume like that based on OS.
Wrong. You could revisit absolutely all the unlocked locations in BG2 except for the Irenicus dungeon (first location) and Hell (the very last location).

Weren't you also locked out of Athkatla et all in the Spellhold chapter?
You can revisit everything after you escape from the Underdark. Nothing gets "locked out"

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Hook Horrors scream and attract other Hook Horrors. And the Bulette (I still don't know how this thing works). So the Bulette then rams and pushes the horrors into the abyss. This is awesome. Oh, oh and the spider matriarch? Shove on a lower floor, then she teleports on a web, destroy the web and she falls. She's angry and finally knows where I am. She teleports near me, gets enraged, like really angry and....misses. I equip a roaring thunder arrowhead and she starts flying to the lowest floor taking the final fall damage. Over. For her. This is cool.

Edit: BTW, the Underdark is yuuuge, probably bigger than the surface area.

Varnaan

Augur
Hook Horrors scream and attract other Hook Horrors. And the Bulette (I still don't know how this thing works). So the Bulette then rams and pushes the horrors into the abyss. This is awesome. Oh, oh and the spider matriarch? Shove on a lower floor, then she teleports on a web, destroy the web and she falls. She's angry and finally knows where I am. She teleports near me, gets enraged, like really angry and....misses. I equip a roaring thunder arrowhead and she starts flying to the lowest floor taking the final fall damage. Over. For her. This is cool.

The Underdark is also much harder than pretty much anything on the surface, minotaur wrecking balls, Bulette, Duegrars shoving your characters to their deaths (meaning its a mechanic and not cheese), man this place is tough.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Fight with the spider matriarch was the best one so far. Bitch got angry and annihilated Gale.
The toughest fight I guess is with Gith patrol. And duergar slavers given you don’t cheese it.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
There's three more unused origins in the files, no idea if they'll end up used or not. I think they meant to remove all references to them in the EA build but missed a file.
referred to as
Origin_TheKid
Origin_RedWizard
Origin_Sylvira

Wait.... SYLVIRA?

SHE'S FROM THE FUCKING MINSC COMICS. SHE'S FROM CANDLEKEEP.

WE'RE GOING TO CANDLEKEEP, BOYS!

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Sylvira_Savikas

As to the Red Wizard...

Varnaan

Augur
How the fuck war-forged and tadpole work together? And why? Yikes.
Anyhow any info on custom chars being fucked by origin system?
From the larian writer who was streaming:
there will be at least eight companions, possibly some who aren't origin characters.
evil route definitely needs more work, currently feels too much like a cartoon villain
playing as a custom character felt underwhelming in DoS2, don't want it to happen again in BG3
Kagha is going to see heavy rewriting(in line in with the above evil route rewrite, I assume), feels too one dimensional.
EA is definitely not all of act 1, moonrise towers are part of act 1 <- this one is kind of interesting, the EA is already pretty big.
if lae'zal dies on the ship you find her corpse on the beach, you're meant to be able to resurrect her but it's currently not in

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
All right, comrades, up until now I thought that the Minsc comics would be tangentially related, but now I feel they have become a necessary read as a direct prequel. Names and events from the last series are coming up left and right.

tripedal

Savant
referred to as
Origin_TheKid
Origin_RedWizard
Origin_Sylvira

So two different wizard origin characters? Really?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
referred to as
Origin_TheKid
Origin_RedWizard
Origin_Sylvira

So two different wizard origin characters? Really?

Sylvira won't be an origin character. She's an ARCHMAGE, and lives in Candlekeep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom