Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I crave an RPG like Gothic

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Anyone can recommend an RPG that is sort of like Gothic? Where, the world is small but dense, has brutal but engaging gameplay, where the game doesn't hold your hand but doesn't get you needlessly lost? Where the game doesn't rely on expensive cutscenes and voice acting to sell itself?

The closest is of course Risen 1 but I already beat it 5 times. As far as I know, the other two are not that great.

Elex is sort of like that but kind of schizophrenic, like it doesn't know whether it wants to be Gothic or something else. Combat is not that great either. The world is also too big for its own good. The bigger the world becomes, the more dilluted the game is. I want everything to be meaningful. Finding a bag with 25 gold in G2 is a big deal.

I also think Dark Souls is similar, but I beat it many times.

Stalker I beat many times too...

The unofficial Chronicles of Myrtana and History of Khorinis are still a ways off and dammit I want a proper RPG for the weekend.

So any ideas? Some overlooked, eurojank RPG?

Anything made by PB,Technomancer,demonicon,two worlds 1&2,greed fall,enderal,witcher games.

Also mad max open world games is not that bad.

I too am starving for a good action/adventure rpg.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Anyone can recommend an RPG that is sort of like Gothic?
(edit: don't forget to use Exult)

iu

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Witcher 1 on hard difficulty gives some Gothic vibes, but it’s far more unbalanced and less focused.

BTW anyone here play Brigand: Oaxaca?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Witcher 1 on hard difficulty gives some Gothic vibes, but it’s far more unbalanced and less focused.

The first boss kills you no matter the difficulty setting :). Fuck that hellhound,it took me a lot of tries to get the trick right :).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The first boss kills you no matter the difficulty setting :). Fuck that hellhound,it took me a lot of tries to get the trick right :).

Once you die two dozen times in this fight the solution becomes pretty clear: ignore the small hounds, strike the Beast with a properly timed Aard sign and while it's down, strike the killing blow. This fight can literally take 20 seconds...

I find this a very good boss fight. Difficult, challenging, but the enemy does not have a ton of hps and if you know what you're doing it ends pretty fast.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

Once you die two dozen times in this fight the solution becomes pretty clear: ignore the small hounds, strike the Beast with a properly timed Aard sign and while it's down, strike the killing blow. This fight can literally take 20 seconds...

I find this a very good boss fight. Difficult, challenging, but the enemy does not have a ton of hps and if you know what you're doing it ends pretty fast.

The fact you have to fight the villagers immediately after it if you choose to save the witch is a bit silly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The fact you have to fight the villagers immediately after it if you choose to save the witch is a bit silly.
Nah,you just hide in the crates next to the house and kill them one by one,the oldest tactic for fighting group enemy :obviously:.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Darkzone

Arcane
Anyone can recommend an RPG that is sort of like Gothic?
Yes Gothic II and Gothic III.
You should make first a list of games that you have played and write why you have liked them, because this would narrow down the possible list.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If you haven't played Morrowind, go play it.
no.png
no.png
no.png

Morrowind is like the antithesis to Gothic. Huge world, fucking wiki NPCs, combat isn't collision-based, everything looks floaty, etc. There's none of that believable living world there, hand-crafted and full of personality, rather you've got infinite procedural-like blandness as far as the eye can see.

Please No

Educated
Anything made by PB,Technomancer,demonicon,two worlds 1&2,greed fall,enderal,witcher games.
Most of those games are nothing like Gothic, they are good, but not alike. They all lean more towards more story focused games, like Demonicon, Technomancer and The Witcher, or more towards TES style games, such as Two Worlds and Enderal.

All these years later and there still hasn't been a game that captured what Gothic did, even if PB has been remaking that game over and over again since it was released.

Most of those games are nothing like Gothic, they are good, but not alike. They all lean more towards more story focused games, like Demonicon, Technomancer and The Witcher, or more towards TES style games, such as Two Worlds and Enderal.

All these years later and there still hasn't been a game that captured what Gothic did, even if PB has been remaking that game over and over again since it was released.

Yeah. I actually think the From games have the most shared DNA in terms of that Gothic special sauce of exploring and hand crafted stuff, but even they are still not even remotely close to the same thing. Maybe that From game that they are working on with GRRM will be slightly closer.

I don’t really see a similar appeal at all in Morrowind beyond a superficial level. Morrowind feels like walking around a wax museum while Gothic feels more like a nerd aquarium or something.

Please No

Educated
Yeah. I actually think the From games have the most shared DNA in terms of that Gothic special sauce of exploring and hand crafted stuff, but even they are still not even remotely close to the same thing. Maybe that From game that they are working on with GRRM will be slightly closer.
Right, the From games have another focus and style, but they are the closest for sure. Especially in how the game world is designed in some aspects.
I don’t really see a similar appeal at all in Morrowind beyond a superficial level. Morrowind feels like walking around a wax museum while Gothic feels more like a nerd aquarium or something.
They are both open world RPGs and came out around the same time, I think that is about it. At the time they were competing for the same audience, which is why they are compared so much, but they are nothing alike. Morrowind has grand ideas, lore, an unique aesthetic, while Gothic more goes for the smaller but excels at it, it is tighter. Despite being so similar on paper if you trimmed things down to bullet points they came from two different ends, epic fantasy and more pure RPG roots versus an action RPG with more sword and sorcery influences.

Gastrick

Cipher
I'm confused on why some people in this thread think Gothic is the best game ever. Sure it's pretty fun, but it's lacking turn-based team combat, the second half becomes fully linear, broken inventory + broken economy, lack of classes + having to reset and run away from everything at the beginning, unambitious story, 0-personality characters, no OP spells + not very many spells, fairly short. Is the German version that much better, what could I have been missing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom