Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhou Touhou series

CyberModuled

Savant
I fucking loved Touhou Luna Nights, are the devs planning on doing more of that one?
Not a Touhou one but they are doing a new one based on the Record of Lodoss series. Looks about as good regarding spritework and animations.

deama

Prophet
I fucking loved Touhou Luna Nights, are the devs planning on doing more of that one?
Not a Touhou one but they are doing a new one based on the Record of Lodoss series. Looks about as good regarding spritework and animations.

Does that one have the grazing and time manipulation mechanics? Those were the main factors for me with lunar nights.

CyberModuled

Savant

Does that one have the grazing and time manipulation mechanics? Those were the main factors for me with lunar nights.

Unfortunately, neither of those mechanics are present. Labyrinth focuses more on that Symphony of the Night feel with movement tech, light environmental puzzles, and elemental powers.

Max Damage

Savant
EoSD Hard 1CC is so close, and yet so far, so I decided to go for IN 1CC to relax a bit. Border Team is probably strongest shot type in the whole series for survival.
Ls7sKtb.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao at those prices, but i guess ZUN needs the cash to feed his alcoholism. Beer doesn't grow on trees i guess.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Lmao at those prices

Touhou as in the actual games by Zun rather than the fangames, memes or doujinshit, has a microscopic audience that is more than willing to bear those prices, content to be able to buy the game online at all rather than ordering a CD from japan. Zun isn't making a mistake here, lowering the prices further won't bring much more of an audience while ending up with less total profit made, this isn't stardew valley, you ain't bringing thousands more of buyers for every penny you remove.
The touhou shmups proper are even more of a niche of mostly enthusiastic fanboys than the average shmup series. They're barely represented in shmup communities like system11 and system11 alone has a larger membercount than all three biggest touhou forums combined. There's just no money to be made trying to get cheapo for the sake of selling a large amount of copies (not ever happening)

Dariusburst cost 45 euros outside of sales and it has quite the enduring megathreads. Price isn't everything in pure niche markets.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I highly, highly recommend Rabi Ribi if there's some of you who enjoyed Luna Nights but want something.. more. More content, more thought into how to make complex spell cards work in a platformer, ability to somewhat makes builds for your character, more everything. Having played that one before the other, I must say, while I enjoyed Luna Nights, I feel like I had already seen the sights of what a game inspired by Touhou put into a platformer format should really play like.

Although it's not a touhou game, the dev is clearly a touhou fanboy just trying hard to not call his game touhou. And in purely gameplay terms, it feels more Touhou than the actual touhou platformers in general. I have never seen a game containing such an insane variety of bullet hell patterns too. There's so many boss encounters (they are the true meat of the game) and they all have a great variety of spell patterns.. boss rush mode is like 1h+ of gameplay of insanity

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
9.5, Shoot The Bullet is coming to Steam.

I wonder if they're going to release the rest of Windows games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
At least Phoenixx Inc. keeps publishing more Touhou doujin games with English localization on Steam. Some kind of tactical thing and puzzle platformer thing.

ss_f03890d2519bfbc55ab9aa47d1519fec3576c6ae.600x338.jpg
ss_1b2ae98bced6a9f8b30a4b5de3c011d94f79f1b7.600x338.jpg

ss_9c6895c679482c6569353f98c974e6cec99bb44e.600x338.jpg
ss_303b21a757cbb4ca8a733f29083731b3838f91e2.600x338.jpg

deama

Prophet
I highly, highly recommend Rabi Ribi if there's some of you who enjoyed Luna Nights but want something.. more. More content, more thought into how to make complex spell cards work in a platformer, ability to somewhat makes builds for your character, more everything. Having played that one before the other, I must say, while I enjoyed Luna Nights, I feel like I had already seen the sights of what a game inspired by Touhou put into a platformer format should really play like.

Although it's not a touhou game, the dev is clearly a touhou fanboy just trying hard to not call his game touhou. And in purely gameplay terms, it feels more Touhou than the actual touhou platformers in general. I have never seen a game containing such an insane variety of bullet hell patterns too. There's so many boss encounters (they are the true meat of the game) and they all have a great variety of spell patterns.. boss rush mode is like 1h+ of gameplay of insanity

I remember playing rabi-ribi like a year or two before lunar nights and I didn't like it much for some reason, don't quite remember why, never finished it, I think I got to about half way then gave up.

Max Damage

Savant
Aaaaaand it's finally here, my first Lunatic 1CC! EoSD MarisaB, lost 2 lives (and 4 bombs) to random mistakes, so finished this on my last breath with no spare lives or bombs left!
4hHzkKE.png

:yeah:

Max Damage

Savant
Just finished 1st story/dungeon in Genso Wanderer, fun roguelike/roguelite so far, if a bit easy.
YwYFX0H.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom