Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Voids

Augur
Josh really likes bikes, doesn't he

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Wizards mandate is possible - is there any statement it was the case?

I thought I had read a transcription it was more Sawyer than anything else but I could be wrong, all I have is New Vegas pattern to go on

Wunderbar

Arcane
Yes, and Avellone personally blames Sawyer for the bugs because he insisted on forcing the programmers to get his pet features working (ammo crafting, looping reload animations) over dropping them immediately as soon as they proved non-trivial to implement and focus on improving game stability.
Check player's skill, remove components from player's inventory, add ammo into player's inventory... profit. idk what was so difficult about implementing ammo crafting.

also FNV is a first-person game where shooting is a major part of a gameplay, so every dollar spent on reload animations is a dollar well spent.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Check player's skill, remove components from player's inventory, add ammo into player's inventory... profit. idk what was so difficult about implementing ammo crafting.

I suppose that one would be more time-consuming than difficult, but it was time not spent on fixing stability issues.

Wizards mandate is possible - is there any statement it was the case?

There was no mandate, Sawyer took it upon himself to insist upon it.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I went into one of those Kickstarter Q&A sessions for the first PoE game and Sawyer was there answering questions. I lamented that he lost his Wisconsin accent. He replied on stream saying he lost it a long time ago.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Ulysses was originally a base game companion. You'd recruit him at Wolfhorn Ranch (which in some non-English versions is called Ulysses's Ranch) and he was pro-Legion. He also had ~10k lines of dialogue because Chris Avellone wrote him.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I remember the reason of why Ulysses is cut are combination of too late in game development and deadlines looming on horizon.

Even if Ulysess implemented, there will be alot to cut because apparently the Ulysses script dialogue is too much to implement. Even if all of that is trimmed down, will he even be worth to be implement in the final version if he was cut too much of his content?

The game has much a bigger problem than companion that may or not worth to be implement especially late in development. So i don't think the decision to cut Ulysses was bad idea.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It may not have been, but it shows some of the symptoms that plague Obsidian regularly. Poor planning, bad negotiation decisions, everything. If Feargus wasn't so busy padding the budget for his own bonuses, per MCA, they might have been able to afford a bunch of stuff, like extra coders to help implement this shit.

Quillon

Arcane
Would be cool if Microsoft told Obsidian to make a remaster of NV with Beth's Starfield engine and cut content restored.

that would lead to commiefornian revisionism of the whole game, no thanks. ms should fund that f4nv mod instead :P

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Ulysses was originally a base game companion. You'd recruit him at Wolfhorn Ranch (which in some non-English versions is called Ulysses's Ranch) and he was pro-Legion. He also had ~10k lines of dialogue because Chris Avellone wrote him.
He turned out to be an unlikeable sanctimonious cunt in Lonesome Road, so it's probably a good thing he got cut.

Vatnik Wumao
He turned out to be an unlikeable sanctimonious cunt in Lonesome Road, so it's probably a good thing he got cut.
What, you didn't enjoy hearing about THE BEAR AND THE BULL™? :M

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
I don't hate him, I think he's an awful dev. I think he's pretentious. I dislike his personality. And I think he's autistic. I don't think he understands concepts of fun like a normal person. I think he's obsessive.

All of this makes him lousy as a dev and a person.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

Quillon

Arcane
ms should fund that f4nv mod instead
Why do you want a port of FNV to a FPS engine? Why not Doom Eternal engine while we at it?

its the same engine with better shooter mechanics/general gameplay so its feasible to make with a modding team in 15 years, porting to another engine would mean it'd come out in 2050 instead of 2030, duh

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I think the clunky and stiff animation is what makes 3D FPS Fallout like New Vegas had it charm and also it blend well with wackiness part of the game. So i don't think any attempt to remake/remaster it to creation engine will had the same charm just like before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom