Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
160318.jpg

They all look different. God, some people are stupid.
Murder in Baldur's Gate:
9rvsbg7.png

Heroes of Baldur's Gate:
x7kef5p.png

Can you really not tell the difference between these?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why do you think it's unofficial? It's a licensed adventure module, written by James Ohlen, the man behind the games. If anything, this is what Siege of Dragonspear should've been.
Why do I think it's unofficial?

It's being sold through the DM Guild... it doesn't even have "Dungeons & Dragons" written on the front cover. It's not a D&D adventure, it's an adventure "for the world's greatest roleplaying game".

This is what an official module looks like:

DND_ProdImg_DIA_cover300.png

This is what an unofficial module looks like, instead:

D5rDPY9UEAEemK8.jpg

I'm not saying it CAN'T be canon, I just need serious proof before I can believe it.

Are you serious. This is also an official module...

160318.jpg

They all look different. God, some people are stupid.
No man, 5E modules all follow a very precise format, especially in the front cover.

This is one of the first ones:

tiamat-cover-231x300.png

And this is the last one:

YiKwcXaQkJ.png

You don't even have to look closely: there's a giant "D&D" near the upper border and a white "Dungeons & Dragons" near the bottom left corner. Without those, it's not a D&D 5 module.

How can you compare this situation to Murder in Baldur's Gate? It follows a completely different format, but there's still "D&D" all over it. Look at Heroes of Baldur's Gate: you won't find "D&D" anywhere. You know why? Because it's not a D&D product.

No need to be rude, especially when you are wrong.

Codex Year of the Donut
OK, did some digging. Neverwinter isn't canon. It takes place in 1470 DR. Minsc is "ressurrected" in the 1490s.
The first year of the game's plot is 1479. It's entirely canon.
Neverwinter, a WotC licensed product, is more canon than an unlicensed DM's guild book.

Abdel Adrian's death is 1482 DR. Minsc is brought back to life after those events. Elturel is dragged into Hell in 1494. So no matter which point you pick, he comes back after the MMO takes place.
Yes, and?
The first year of the MMO takes place in 1479. The timeline advanced since then, Minsc's appearance fits entirely within its timeline.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok, fuck this. I'm writing Wizards of the Coast right now.
You can write whomever you want, it doesn't change the fact that Heroes of Baldur's Gate is not an official D&D product. I thought you were familiar with 5E, how can you not distinguish between an official product and an unofficial one?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, this issue is going to get much more complicated when BG3 rolls around. That is 100% canon. Whether it contradicts established lore or not.

Codex Year of the Donut
Unless WotC has come out and stated something is definitely 100% not canon or retconned it, it's safe to assume any WotC-licensed product is part of the canon.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Also, this issue is going to get much more complicated when BG3 rolls around. That is 100% canon. Whether it contradicts established lore or not.

I remember Super Mutants on the East Coast. Now BG will have it's Minsc. Does it make sense for him to be there? Who cares, this is the BG brand and Minsc is to BG what Ronald Mcdonald is to Mcdonalds.

Takamori

Learned
Lore spergery definitely makes this thread more interesting for sure. Also you fags keep this thread on watch because you all are closet fabulously optimistic fellas wishing this game become good somehow and don't boo me I'm telling you the truth!

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Lore spergery definitely makes this thread more interesting for sure. Also you fags keep this thread on watch because you all are closet fabulously optimistic fellas wishing this game become good somehow and don't boo me I'm telling you the truth!

Huh? I consider the game good already. It's not my fault you lack a refined palette.

They're people who can't separate reality from fiction, a lot of what they do makes more sense when you consider this.

It's also another form of escapism. For example, the fat ones know that they need to stop stuffing their faces, but then they discovered that if they just focus all their energy and time fighting this imaginary racist enemy, they won't have to deal with real problems in the real world (like stop overeating.) Their friends would even praise them for being "virtuous", thus encouraging them to continue the vicious cycle even more.

Takamori

Learned

Huh? I consider the game good already. It's not my fault you lack a refined palette.
I hold no ill to the current state of the game, but it sure demands refinement with more 5E sauce rules on it. Hope they dont Larian the monster stats because faggots can't cope with the fact they missed a damn attack in Lvl 1

Codex Year of the Donut
It's already really good. I laid out my two main critiques already(camera, themepark-style map) but it's nowhere near enough to detract from the rest of the game.
The goal-oriented quest system used in the Divinity engine allows a lot of freedom in how you solve quests that helps it feel like a proper tabletop game.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I dont think Lilura has the game running even. No screenshots. Copy pasting from streams lol, pathetic.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's much easier to be one of the top resources for an old game that nobody covers anymore, I doubt Lilura's blog will get much traffic at all compared to other sites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom