Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Phantasy Star Online 2

Why not?

• I'm not gay enough

• It's too popamole

• Anime is for pedos

• I secretly play it when the Codex isn't looking

• I prefer ESO (kc)

• I'm too retarded

Results are only viewable after voting.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Why isn't anyone talking about this 8 year old game? A lot of you phaggots have weeaboo avatars, so you have no excuse.

Gerrard

Arcane
Because it's 8 years old, I hate jumping into old online games with years worth of shit you have to learn.
Also I don't like the QTE based combat.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Because it's 8 years old, I hate jumping into old online games with years worth of shit you have to learn.
Also I don't like the QTE based combat.
It doesn't have QTE combat, that's the reason I never play other MMOs. Unless you mean that all action games are just QTEs, in which case you might be retarded. It's not that hard to learn, anyway (not that you care since you obviously don't know anything).

Because that would be a very broad definition of QTE. Dodging an enemy bullet is a QTE because you have to press a direction before the visual indicator (the projectile) touches your character.

While the game is old on other platforms, western PC release was may this year on Microsoft store, with the Steam version being more recent. They're also going to release a spin-off/side game in 2021 (you'll be able to use the same character back and forth), so it looks like they play (edit: plan) to keep it going with new content for a while.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Then by your definition nothing is a QTE.

You have a circular indicator that shrinks and you have to press the key when it reaches the center, it's exactly what QTE looks like.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Then by your definition nothing is a QTE.

You have a circular indicator that shrinks and you have to press the key when it reaches the center, it's exactly what QTE looks like.
A QTE is when a cutscene tells you to press X to not die, whereas this game is only telling you to time your attacks properly for extra damage. It's no different from any other weeaboo action game, the only thing is that it has a visual indicator (which is pretty standard for Japanese games). If that circle wasn't there, would it not be a QTE to you?

By your definition, everything is a QTE. I thought you were just talking about MMO cooldown skills before, but it turns out you're just retarded.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Episode 5 is really pointless. Five seconds of actually relevant backstory and the rest is just formulaic isekai filler (because isekai are popular so we gotta have it in our game too herp derp). Oh mah gad look a Phantasy Star 1 reference... who cares. There's barely anything new to play in it. Waiting through all of this when it originally released must have been extremely boring. Some people complain that Episode 4 was omg super dumb weeb trash, but at least the story actually had things that happened (even if it was fabulously gay) and there was new content to play that wasn't just nothing (even if it was fabulously gay). Episode 5 comes in being like... lol check out my cool new quest that plays itself, oh no we gave up on all the cutscenes and turned them into a shitty visual novel where nothing happens, oops haha. decline, lmao!!

Ebonsword

Arcane
Why isn't anyone talking about this 8 year old game? A lot of you phaggots have weeaboo avatars, so you have no excuse.

Maybe you should try and convince us to play it? What's so great about it?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Maybe you should try and convince us to play it? What's so great about it?
Absolutely nothing, it is a worthless piece of shit, terrible anime plot, terrible anime gameplay, terrible anime graphics, and worst of all it's an mmo

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
New Genesis ‘enhanced’ visuals = broken shitty graphics that never get fixed

That's how it's been in every game ever. I mean... NG's rendering looks pretty crappy, like every other game in recent years. WTF are those character models.

ADL

Prophet

Looks like Xenoblade Chronicles X: the MMO
Just imagine if Monolith weren't owned by Nintendo
rating_negativeman.png

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Aside from the tryhard it's a fairly entertaining Action RPG with skill-based gameplay. Figuring out boss patterns and optimal strategies is very fun, and many classes reward good timing with even better damage and being able to look stylish while doing it. The level of customization for each character is interesting, but unfortunately the skill trees aren't very flexible and only really allow for one sort of optimal build. I don't understand the QTE argument, they're timed hits. If anything the game plays more like Dragon's Dogma but without the climbing and instead you get other weird mobility tools.

The story isn't very interesting but the sci-fi worlds/mob designs are novel enough to carry them forward - even the generic fantasy stuff gets goofy. NGS looks even more interesting and the gameplay looks even sleeker so that's something to look forward to, I think. The music is also pretty great, and there's a lot of crossover from other Sega properties as well as Atlus stuff.

Looks like Xenoblade Chronicles X: the MMO
I wish Xenoblade Chronicles X played like NGS.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guess I check out for myself. Lucky that I got a good internet connection and DL will be swift.
3 words of advice:
1. You're gonna get a thing/pet called a MAG relatively early on. They basically function the stat allocation in the game, but because it's FTP each char only gets one. Look up guides for the respective class you're willing to 'main' (you can switch between any of them) and then you start messing with your mag. It's not the end of the world if you mess it up though, it just makes the learning curve easier.
2. Don't build your class without a guide. They're not complicated but there's just some genuinely useless shit (stat upgrades). Takes like a second to quickly understand it. It sucks that you can't really 'build' but I think learning the class is a fine substitute. Cuz they all play remarkably different.
3. Functionally it's like Monster Hunter*, where you're expected to do similar bosses on harder difficulties to get gradually better weapons and armor. Not really advice but I think at least it helps understand why people play.

*Fun aside, the first PSO game were basically the building blocks of Monster Hunter. They both are Action RPGs focused on 'runs' where you and a small group go out and do some kind of task. They both have hub towns where you do basically everything, they both have a huge grind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom