Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Flou

Arbiter
everybody's director/lead of something at Obs these days, they must have 10 teams or something :P

6 teams:

Grounded - Brennecke
Missouri - Sawyer
Adler - ?
TOW 2? - Cain & Boyarsky
Avowed - Parker?
TOW DLC #2 - Starks

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not sure if this is old news but Megan Starks is the Project Director and Lead Narrative Designer on TOW DLC #2 according to her LinkedIn.

Patel botched it so hard that she got demoted, huh. :M

"Well, let's give the other woman a chance. Can't be worse."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, nobody says the same person has to make all of a game's DLCs. Could be she wanted to move on, or that management wanted to move her to one of Obsidian's many other projects. She has more seniority than Starks and maybe more important things to do than make a very late DLC that few people will play.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh, nobody says the same person has to make all of a game's DLCs. Could be she wanted to move on, or that management wanted to move her to one of Obsidian's many other projects. She has more seniority than Starks and maybe more important things to do than make a very late DLC that few people will play.
Either way, she's not a director anymore. :) They can only have so many projects going on at once.

Flou

Arbiter
Either way, she's not a director anymore. :) They can only have so many projects going on at once.

She wasn't directing it in the first place. According to her LinkedIn Megan has been the Director on that project since November 2019 and created the story, setting & gameplay pitch for the DLC.
Carrie hasn't updated her project on LinkedIn in a while. It still has her as a project director on a secrect project (as of November 2019) which we know was the 1st DLC. Maybe she is writing for Avowed or Badler's project.

Patel botched it so hard that she got demoted, huh. :M

"Well, let's give the other woman a chance. Can't be worse."
Starks is the only girl on the writing team that I would consider to be a normal and well-adjusted person, so this is already an improvement.

Patel, and the chick with the ring in her nose for that matter, appear to be blue-hairs with daddy issues and what not.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
So I gather from this topic that this is objectively the worst Obsidian "game marketed as RPG" to date? With absolutely no redeeming qualities in writing or gameplay mechanics?
Dungeon Siege 3 is still king shit.
That being said this game isn't worth the time or money.

I haven't played this, but there's no way it's worse than KotOR 2.
Bad post.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
She wasn't directing it in the first place. According to her LinkedIn Megan has been the Director on that project since November 2019 and created the story, setting & gameplay pitch for the DLC.
Carrie hasn't updated her project on LinkedIn in a while. It still has her as a project director on a secrect project (as of November 2019) which we know was the 1st DLC. Maybe she is writing for Avowed or Badler's project.

Doesn't really bode well for Megan's direction either if it's taking over a year to make a DLC. If it takes fewer than 18 months she'll beat Carrie though.

Flou

Arbiter
Doesn't really bode well for Megan's direction either if it's taking over a year to make a DLC. If it takes fewer than 18 months she'll beat Carrie though.

Well, you are presuming that her project has been fully staffed. She might have had to wait for the 1st DLC to get finished before getting rest of the crew together. It's not like she has been only working on this, she also wrote for the 1st DLC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Was not expecting that. Good news.

COMING SOON: THE OUTER WORLDS

Get ready to explore a distant space colony and to decide what kind of character you decide you want to become, as the engaging, player-driven story unfolds before you!

The Outer Worlds, an award-winning RPG, is coming soon DRM-free on GOG.COM! Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later, and become almost instantly entangled in a deep corporate conspiracy. The question remains - how will you deal with it?

https://af.gog.com/game/the_outer_worlds?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Dutchman

Learned

This is third-hand (maybe more) but NeoGAF dude who lurks on the dev forums claimed Kate Dollarhyde was originally the one guiding DLC1 and ran it into the ground, so I don't know if Carrie should be blamed for it for coming in later, although she probably had to pick up the pieces.

When did Carrie start on it, or was she always on it?

This is just me, I got the impression like with the storywreck of Deadfire, Carrie got the "blessing" of inheriting a mess (first Sawyer, then Kate in this case) and trying to fix it.

Not that I'm a Carrie fan if she wrote Aloth, though, she sucks.

They could have also delayed the DLC because of (1) fights with Private Division and (2) wanting to have something to justify a full price for the Steam release, too, but (3) it's probably easier to assume they fucked up the production for it. It's a shame because the Deadfire DLCs seemed pretty great.

Flou

Arbiter

This is third-hand (maybe more) but NeoGAF dude who lurks on the dev forums claimed Kate Dollarhyde was originally the one guiding DLC1 and ran it into the ground, so I don't know if Carrie should be blamed for it for coming in later, although she probably had to pick up the pieces.

I don't recall Dollarhyde having Game Director on LinkedIn. People would have gone mental here over that. However I think she had Lead Narrative Designer up at some point. Now she is listed as Narrative Co-Lead on the DLC.

Carrie started as the Game Director on November 2019. So she definitely did not work on the project for that long. Which means someone else was leading the project for some time.

Wunderbar

Arcane

I don't recall Dollarhyde having Game Director on LinkedIn. People would have gone mental here over that. However I think she had Lead Narrative Designer up at some point. Now she is listed as Narrative Co-Lead on the DLC.

Carrie started as the Game Director on November 2019. So she definitely did not work on the project for that long. Which means someone else was leading the project for some time.
someone else explain yourself!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom