Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It appears that Larian Studios will be the ones to solidify what's canon
Literally shaking again and having PTSD flashbacks of the previous literal shaking.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
As a side-note, remember that even Baldur's Gate II disqualified, with 100% certainty, several companions from the first game as having ever joined us:
- Quayle (doesn't recognise or acknowledge us, and neither does CHARNAME),
- Faldorn (the same),
- Safana (I THINK I remember this one correctly),
- You could also argue Ajantis, since he doesn't recognise our voice, and neither do we recognise his in-game.

Varnaan

Augur
As a side-note, remember that even Baldur's Gate II disqualified, with 100% certainty, several companions from the first game as having ever joined us:
- Faldorn (the same),
- You could also argue Ajantis, since he doesn't recognise our voice, and neither do we recognise his in-game.
Also Xzar and Montaron are killed by Sarevok during the Iron Crisis according to the novel Baldur's Gate, and Xzar is a Bhaalspawn according to Heroes of Baldur's Gate.
I'm not even sure what his status is in BG2 but he's not treated as a former companion.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
- Faldorn (the same),
Also Xzar and Montaron are killed by Sarevok during the Iron Crisis according to the novel Baldur's Gate, and Xzar is a Bhaalspawn according to Heroes of Baldur's Gate.
I'm not even sure what his status is in BG2 but he's not treated as a former companion.

Yes, he is. Depending on how you lead the dialogue, he will recall travelling with you.

And stop talking about the novel. Thank God this is one thing WotC has actually thrown out of canon. I think it's literally the ONLY novel that got the treatment.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If you look at this page: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/269398/Heroes-of-Baldurs-Gate-5 on the right sidebar you'll notice that Heroes of Baldur's gate is tagged as "community content". Any official releases don't have that tag and will also be listed as "From Wizards of the Coast".

That means Heroes of Baldur's Gate is no more (or less) official than the following fine piece of content that I hereby release under the terms of the Open Gaming License version 1.0a
START OPEN GAME CONTENT:
Minsc is a faggot.
END OPEN GAME CONTENT

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you look at this page: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/269398/Heroes-of-Baldurs-Gate-5 on the right sidebar you'll notice that Heroes of Baldur's gate is tagged as "community content". Any official releases don't have that tag and will also be listed as "From Wizards of the Coast".

That means Heroes of Baldur's Gate is no more (or less) official than the following fine piece of content that I hereby release under the terms of the Open Gaming License version 1.0a
START OPEN GAME CONTENT:
Minsc is a faggot.
END OPEN GAME CONTENT
But wait, "Minsc" isn't under OGL. You can't say that. :smug:

Heroes of Baldur's Gate's publisher necessarily had some kind of licensing deal to print that book.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Yes, he is. Depending on how you lead the dialogue, he will recall travelling with you.
Then why can't I have him in my party instead of Edwin :negative:
Because his cameo ends with an unavoidable death. Same goes for Safana, Faldorn, and Ajantis. Seriously it's as if BW set out to kill as many BG1 companions as possible, it's ludicrous.

Unless you end up in the Wall of the Faithless, you can literally come back at any point.

Varnaan

Augur
Because his cameo ends with an unavoidable death. Same goes for Safana, Faldorn, and Ajantis. Seriously it's as if BW set out to kill as many BG1 companions as possible, it's ludicrous.
As with all their games BW set out to conjure a big fuck you to anyone who didn't play their pre-decided canon, that's also why none of your actions or decisions matter if you import a BG game into BG2 and Imoen somehow becomes important to you even if you slapped her ass to death or told her to fuck off previously.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
As with all their games BW set out to conjure a big fuck you to anyone who didn't play their pre-decided canon, that's also why none of your actions or decisions matter if you import a BG game into BG2 and Imoen somehow becomes important to you even if you slapped her ass to death or told her to fuck off previously.

That last one is not the devs fault. Imoen was supposed to die in Irenicus' Dungeon; she was also not supposed to be a Bhaalspawn at all. However, late into development they discovered, to their surprise, amongst testers that she is actually popular. And thus she was completely re-written, as well as Bodhi being slap-dashed into becoming Irenicus' sister.

Shadows of Amn was initially supposed to be a tale of how revenge can consume a person:
- Irenicus is consumed by his vengeance against Suldanesselar.
- You are consumed by your vengeance against Irenicus.
- Jaheira is consumed by her rage to avenge Khalid.
- Minsc wants to avenge Dynaheir.

Et cetera. By not killing Imoen, and turning the main plot into a rescue mission, BioWare has deprived us of the "mirror image" question - will we become as Irenicus? After all, he was once a much better person, and even after his exile strived to redeem himself. Alas, he was consumed by the curse placed upon him (Get it? Because we also are burdened with a curse).

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Unless you end up in the Wall of the Faithless, you can literally come back at any point.
They can't come back to my party in BG2, can they?

The funny part is that two of BG2's problems (no evil thief, available evil companions only fill 60% of the party slots) would be solved if they just brought back Xzar and Montaron. But apparently it was more important to implement bland as fuck companions like Valygar and Cernd.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

The funny part is that two of BG2's problems (no evil thief, available evil companions only fill 60% of the party slots) would be solved if they just brought back Xzar and Montaron. But apparently it was more important to implement bland as fuck companions like Valygar and Cernd.

There are mods for that.

Varnaan

Augur
However, late into development they discovered, to their surprise, amongst testers that she is actually popular.
How?
She's literally the Jar Jar Binks of the Forgotten Realms.

Bioware games always bend heavily towards Good parties when applicable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How is it that the worst characters became fan favorites? Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira apparently since she was turned into a love interest.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Cernd has some good dialogue when you have Minsc and Jaheira in the party at the same time.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
However, late into development they discovered, to their surprise, amongst testers that she is actually popular.
How?
She's literally the Jar Jar Binks of the Forgotten Realms.
6GKoRss.png

Varnaan

Augur
Cernd has some good dialogue when you have Minsc and Jaheira in the party at the same time.
That's a triple dose of cancer, no thanks.
It's like playing BG with the "vanilla" Minsc, Dinosaur, Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen.
Who the heck does that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom