Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In appreciation of TIE Fighter.

Luka-boy

Arcane
one chap in particular who's working on his own campaign set during the Thrawn trilogy from the Empires perspective :)
:shredder:
Wait what?! Do you have any links to more info or videos about that project? :bounce:

Also I hope you don't mind if I post the latest video you uploaded about yours.

What I know is that the best mod is Wing Commander Saga : a Wing Commander campaign with Freespace engine. 50 missions of pure pure pure fun.
That mod was great. It was only missing the traditional cutscenes around the ship to be the 100% ideal Wing Commander sequel, but they did a pretty good job giving the characters, well, character, with the in-flight conversations. Pretty hard to get some secret objectives too. And it had some freaking memorable missions.

Dexter

Arcane
By the way, when did the XWA Upgrade project achieve such massive breakthroughs? Back in the early 2000s it mostly just focused on improving craft models and textures and adding new ships.
I also found out due to the Squadrons thread that there's also a VR Mod for XWAU that seemingly works fine enough to be playable for the past few months, since most of the UI has been translated to be fixed in-ship instead of a flat texture anyway:

There's a separate forum for the VR Mod on their site: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=36 and I don't see a reason why this shouldn't be applicable to this new project, since it's based on the same framework.

Apparently there are still some issues with low FPS though that have been explained thusly:
Please, remember that this is a 20-year-old engine. It still does all the 3D processing in the CPU using a single core, and it mostly ignores the power of the GPU in your video card.

Bear in mind that if you have lots of geometry on the screen, that will slow down the game. This is a limitation of XWA's engine and will happen even if you disable all the effects. Some of the newer XWAU models have a higher polygon count and will have a larger performance impact too.

It's interesting to see how much has changed there even from Mid-2019 to the last few months.

Last edited:

Angel

Novice
Wait what?! Do you have any links to more info or videos about that project? :bounce:

Also I hope you don't mind if I post the latest video you uploaded about yours.

He just posted a thread about it on the XWAU forums including a couple of youtube clips, you can find it here: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=174877

And I don't mind at all if you post the vids here :)

Apparently there are still some issues with low FPS though that have been explained thusly:

It's interesting to see how much has changed there even from Mid-2019 to the last few months.

Yes unfortunately there are limits to what the engine can handle, but multicore CPU support was patched in with improved the FPS considerably. Still though in large scale fights, there will still be FPS drops but not to unplayable levels.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I have the Wing Commander Saga FS2 mod but never played it. Wow, that footage is beautiful. Didn't even know you could dogfight within the great blue sky and white cloud cover of a planet's atmosphere with that engine.

I'm hoping the new Tie Fighter conversion project has a decent preconfigured controller scheme for DS4Windows/Xbox 360 since that's how I roll these days.

Angel

Novice
Anyone tried XWA with HOTAS?

I use the Saitek X52 Pro when I fly.

I have the Wing Commander Saga FS2 mod but never played it. Wow, that footage is beautiful. Didn't even know you could dogfight within the great blue sky and white cloud cover of a planet's atmosphere with that engine.

I'm hoping the new Tie Fighter conversion project has a decent preconfigured controller scheme for DS4Windows/Xbox 360 since that's how I roll these days.

There are no plans to offer a preconfigured control setup with the TFTC mod as yet.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Anyone tried XWA with HOTAS?

I use the Saitek X52 Pro when I fly.

There are no plans to offer a preconfigured control setup with the TFTC mod as yet.

There was a madman who did create his own control scheme for Xbox 360 controller but it would be a real challenge to make one with a more reasonable configuration, but that would probably require a rebuilding of the menu systems/interface.

Angel

Novice
Perfect, i have the same HOTAS. Do you use per default selection or had to configure each button / stick?

I configured some buttons to do different things, but I switch sometimes between keyboard and throttle depending on how lazy I'm feeling :D

Angel

Novice
To clarify, if you mean all the Expansion missions, the above video posted is the very last mission from the Enemies of the Empire expansion sold only on the Collectors Edition. Battles 1-7 is the original main campaign, Battles 8-10 is the Defenders of the Empire expansion, Battles 11-13 is Enemies of the Empires. This has all been ported now so thats 75 missions + 28 training missions (4 for each flyable Imperial craft) :)

Deleted member 7219

One comment I'd make about their implementation of iMUSE - shouldn't we be getting the victory music to play once all objectives are complete? One of my favourite memories of TIE Fighter was flying back home to fanfare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel

Novice
Whoops, I got confused by the use of the term 'original campaign' - my mistake, both expansions are included.

No worries, we use Original and Reimagined campaign to distinguish the two things we're doing for the project :)

Angel

Novice
One comment I'd make about their implementation of iMUSE - shouldn't we be getting the victory music to play once all objectives are complete? One of my favourite memories of TIE Fighter was flying back home to fanfare.

It does play, just not all the time, same with ship arrival/destruction cues. The XWA imuse is... kinda crappy to be honest, its the one thing that i'd say the TF engine actually does much better and reliably in playing its musical cues and frankly a more flexible dynamic music system.

Deleted member 7219

I've postd a new video just now, hope you enjoy! :)

Interesting to see some EU ships like the Hutt ships from Star Wars Galaxies. I think I spotted a frigate from Empire at War too? (I always preferred the frigates and neutral ships from the X-wing series)

What were Zaarin's ships at the end? They looked like prequel ships - if so, then :decline: - there's more than enough good Imperial ships to choose from in the EU without bringing in George Lucas canon!

Nice job with the music by the way (although I'm glad I can play the original with iMUSE).

Ghostar

Literate

What were Zaarin's ships at the end? They looked like prequel ships - if so, then :decline: - there's more than enough good Imperial ships to choose from in the EU without bringing in George Lucas canon!

Nice job with the music by the way (although I'm glad I can play the original with iMUSE).

Zaarin's ships seems to be Light Cruiser (the dagger like ones with 2 engines) and some kind of Venator Class starship.

Luka-boy

Arcane

Zaarin's ships seems to be Light Cruiser (the dagger like ones with 2 engines) and some kind of Venator Class starship.
The three light cruisers are Arquitens-class, which were originally from the Republic era but also very extensively used by the Empire.
069f717ea36805b029a629vklf.jpg

The bigger one is a Gladiator-class Star Destroyer, a smaller star destroyer with more focus on missile weaponry which is definitely Imperial Era and one of the earliest shown new ships back in the EU.
gladiatorclassstardesm8j1c.png

Also about that video Angel posted:
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Endemic

Arcane
The default ISD model in the X-Wing\TIE series is too large (2km instead of 1.6km), would be nice if that was fixed too. But this looks promising so far.

Angel

Novice
Interesting to see some EU ships like the Hutt ships from Star Wars Galaxies. I think I spotted a frigate from Empire at War too? (I always preferred the frigates and neutral ships from the X-wing series)

There are plenty of uses of all the original ships in the game, but we have a limited selection of free craft slots we can also use for new ships to give the game more variety in ships you do see. The Hutt ships, well I felt being low on fighters at this point, the Protector would've bought some crappy fighters from the black market because they're desperate. Zaarins forces, will use a wide variety of ship types and support craft. So far I've only used prequel era ships for 3rd party factions, again with the idea that their navies are old or have purchased this equipment to bolster them. Most missions will still use the normal set of craft in these games :)

The default ISD model in the X-Wing\TIE series is too large (2km instead of 1.6km), would be nice if that was fixed too. But this looks promising so far.

The current model (which is not the default XWA one, but an older model from XWAU) is 1.6km, I just looked to be sure.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom