Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Got an answer.

Support Agent (D&D)

Oct 19, 2020, 4:53 PM PDT

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Customer Support. If you are speaking of Heroes of Baldur's Gate as found here, the adventure is unofficial fan content published through the DM's Guild online adventure marketplace.

A
re you happy, rusty_shackleford ? Siege of Dragonspear remains safely canon. :(
All it means is that those disgusting portraits are non-canon.

This I'd disagree with. They were commissioned by James Ohlen, who is the father of the games' series. So they look exactly like he'd want them to look, not like traced photos.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The funniest part of siege of dragonspear is that they included a sequel hook at the end that could not possibly be followed up on, because the sequel already exists
I was fairly upset that there was never any resolution for Skie. You can't just set something up like that then not finish it somehow.
They could have added some content to BG2EE to at least finish it up, they already added some terrible donutsteel OC characters.

There is a mod for it out there. Nicely done too.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Irenicus tricks you into murdering the Duke's daughter with a bullshit soul-stealing dagger, and they directly explain that if it's obtained then you will be able to revive her and clear your name. But then you meet Irenicus in BG2 and don't recognize him, and he doesn't have the dagger, and Skie stays in a magical coma forever I guess

Obviously they thought that their game would have more success, and they'd be able to fiddle around with Baldur's Gate and Shadows of Amn more.

Sykar

Arcane
Who the fuck cares about Siege of Trannyspear?

Careful now, you might trigger them!
8415fe99d52fa8b123111a6826ccb317

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Customer Support. If you are speaking of Heroes of Baldur's Gate as found here, the adventure is unofficial fan content published through the DM's Guild online adventure marketplace.
Exactly what we have been saying to you for the last 10 pages.

Official content has "D&D" and "Dungeons & Dragons" written on the front cover, while DM's Guild unofficial content has the symbol of DM's Guild.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Got an answer.

Support Agent (D&D)

Hello,

A
Well, it seems my most dreaded nightmares and horror scenarios are going to come true - Larian are going to write the BG canon. Let that sink in.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Actually I do. My heart aches because some decent art, dungeon design and some quests and non-plot writing are forever buried under overall stupid lead design, politics topics, and straight outta my ass plot. Fucking shame no one remembers cool dwarf necromancer butchering fellow team, but that was hella fun dungeon.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Basically, CHARNAME under the influence of someone else murdered Skie(BG1 companion that got an expanded story in SoD) using Soultaker. That's about all I can remember, and it's never followed up on at all.
yeah i remember that, it was a fake memory though. Irenicus killed her himself and framed you.

I would think that the soultaker dagger would need to be found and Skie's soul freed, so maybe that's the real hook.
Irenicus tricks you into murdering the Duke's daughter with a bullshit soul-stealing dagger, and they directly explain that if it's obtained then you will be able to revive her and clear your name. But then you meet Irenicus in BG2 and don't recognize him, and he doesn't have the dagger, and Skie stays in a magical coma forever I guess
yeah, that's what I figured.

the most frustrating thing about Beamdog is that they didn't bother trying to change the way import starts worked. you are always stuck with Jaheria and Minsc and they were always your traveling companions. it really wouldn't have taken much, just changing a few lines here and there. so annoying.

Black

Arcane
I'm pretty sure you posted 10 times more than I ever did lol...
Not in one thread, not back-to-back posting, older account, etc. How can you be so arrogant that you're this retarded, yet still think people need to hear you repeat the same opinion ad nauseum?

Who cares if you got annoyed? lol...Here comes 5 more messages, enjoy!!
Rule 3
Rule 4 means you should free all Kalinites and Jim Profit.

Codex Year of the Donut
Actually I do. My heart aches because some decent art, dungeon design and some quests and non-plot writing are forever buried under overall stupid lead design, politics topics, and straight outta my ass plot. Fucking shame no one remembers cool dwarf necromancer butchering fellow team, but that was hella fun dungeon.
I played it last time I did a BG playthrough. Overall story is dumb as hell with a retarded character. The art, encounters, and dungeons are all pretty good though.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
To be more productive about the feedback thread I'm glad that Larian is at least aware that the evil route is downright comical and veering into cartoon evil territory. Also it's interesting that they are surprised with Halsin's popularity, I mean he is an elf who has the form a bodybuilder, a good druid and is more than willing to slaughter goblins. What's not to like about that? I would gladly trade him for Wyll.
Halsin being young/fit was a last minute change according to the writer, he previously was old and wizened.
But, yes, dude is jacked AF.
BG3-Druid-Grove-1.jpg

ERYFKRAD this elf wants to have a word with you

To do what? Suck his cock?

sp6AG41.png

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Basically, CHARNAME under the influence of someone else murdered Skie(BG1 companion that got an expanded story in SoD) using Soultaker. That's about all I can remember, and it's never followed up on at all.
yeah i remember that, it was a fake memory though. Irenicus killed her himself and framed you.

I would think that the soultaker dagger would need to be found and Skie's soul freed, so maybe that's the real hook.
yeah, that's what I figured.

the most frustrating thing about Beamdog is that they didn't bother trying to change the way import starts worked. you are always stuck with Jaheria and Minsc and they were always your traveling companions. it really wouldn't have taken much, just changing a few lines here and there. so annoying.

IIRC they said that they couldn't change any existing content, could only add, so removing Minsc and Jaheira from the beginning was not an option.

SoD as a whole is fucking retarded, and so is the ending. Who the fuck cares if its "canon".

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm pretty sure you posted 10 times more than I ever did lol...
Not in one thread, not back-to-back posting, older account, etc. How can you be so arrogant that you're this retarded, yet still think people need to hear you repeat the same opinion ad nauseum?

Who cares if you got annoyed? lol...Here comes 5 more messages, enjoy!!
Rule 3
Rule 4 means you should free all Kalinites and Jim Profit.

For the most part, you should expect the moderators to follow and enforce these rules but while I will happily argue with you about it until page 57 and beyond, if you are having trouble grasping who's in control here - or you think you have some legal right of appeal; that you can "rule-nazi" your way out of a hole - think again.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Got an answer.

Support Agent (D&D)

Hello,

A

And that Xzar is NOT a Bhaalspawn. All is as it should have been.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
To be more productive about the feedback thread I'm glad that Larian is at least aware that the evil route is downright comical and veering into cartoon evil territory. Also it's interesting that they are surprised with Halsin's popularity, I mean he is an elf who has the form a bodybuilder, a good druid and is more than willing to slaughter goblins. What's not to like about that? I would gladly trade him for Wyll.
Halsin being young/fit was a last minute change according to the writer, he previously was old and wizened.
But, yes, dude is jacked AF.
BG3-Druid-Grove-1.jpg

ERYFKRAD this elf wants to have a word with you

Way, waaay too high T for an elf. Must be a half-blood.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Got an answer.

Support Agent (D&D)

Hello,

A

This I'd disagree with. They were commissioned by James Ohlen, who is the father of the games' series. So they look exactly like he'd want them to look, not like traced photos.

He should burn in the Nine Hells then, for the mere fact of accepting the design Xzar's outfit, which has NO PLACE in a quasi-medieval setting.

Codex Year of the Donut
The idea that big games like BG1 and 2 are the product of a single person's vision or work is erroneous. I'd assume that if he tried to have the characters look like that during BG2 development he would have had people tell him it looks retarded.

Also, Ohlen with his position previously and his relation to WotC now most likely could have easily had his work published by WotC officially if they approved of it. The quality of the document itself, content not withstanding, is quite high. So I'd imagine they object to at least some of the content.

Gargaune

Magister
I caved. Was in a bit of a mood yesterday so I figured I'd distract myself by donating to Swen's yacht fund. A couple of hours in and it's not Baldur's Gate, obviously, but I'm liking whatever the fuck it is. Much as expected.

That said, the camera and controls are giving me NWN2 flashbacks. In fact, they're a little worse right now. Camera needs a bit more pitch, a bit more zoom out, and to stop locking back on characters every other minute. And when you do lock on a character, enable screen edge turning. As for controls, the game needs proper marquee, individual selection and party formations. You can keep that chain rubbish, but let us disable it. It's a good thing it's EA, this would be time to fix stuff like that.

Maybe a clever codexer will create a mod that removed the BG3 title screen and changes all the file names, freeing us from our torment
Nice. Rename it to Dungeons and Dragons Age: Not Shit.

Codex Year of the Donut
I caved. Was in a bit of a mood yesterday so I figured I'd distract myself by donating to Swen's yacht fund. A couple of hours in and it's not Baldur's Gate, obviously, but I'm liking whatever the fuck it is. Much as expected.

That said, the camera and controls are giving me NWN2 flashbacks. In fact, they're a little worse right now. Camera needs a bit more pitch, a bit more zoom out, and to stop locking back on characters every other minute. And when you do lock on a character, enable screen edge turning. As for controls, the game needs proper marquee, individual selection and party formations. You can keep that chain rubbish, but let us disable it. It's a good thing it's EA, this would be time to fix stuff like that.

Maybe a clever codexer will create a mod that removed the BG3 title screen and changes all the file names, freeing us from our torment
Nice. Rename it to Dungeons and Dragons Age: Not Shit.
Every hater will eventually fail their will check and learn about the true glory of BG3.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As for controls, the game needs proper marquee, individual selection and party formations. You can keep that chain rubbish, but let us disable it.
The absence of party formations in a D&D videogame is disturbing. In the end it's not a big problem because precise positioning hardly ever matters (thanks to how easy it is to freely move around with the jump/disengage button), but it's still hard to process.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The same people who hate BG3 (for reasons they still can’t articulate), liked the buggy, horribly written cashgrab that was NWN2 OC.
There is no exceptional licensed D&D games after SSI, except for ToEE (for combatfags) and PST (for storyfags).

Make it closer to tabletop (no disengage as a bonus action, no elemental surfaces bullshit), tone down the quirky humor,

Not gonna happen with Larian.

Codex Year of the Donut
Every hater will eventually fail their will check and learn about the true glory of BG3.

Not until the full release, no. Imagine being such a CONS00MER that you pay full price to alpha-test an unfinished product, lul.
It has more content than most "finished" games on the market

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom