Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - hard rock spacing sequel

Blake00

Learned
I'm a huge fan of the classic game Freelancer and am always interested in similar games so I've got Rebel Galaxy Outlaw steam wishlisted and am waiting (since it's first release on Epic) to see if addons come as I've seen people talking about how its a bit bare bones. If not then 75% off sale thanks lol.

For the same reason I've been following Starpoint Gemini 3's beta testing (very Freelancer like!), Everspace 2 (who've dropped the random rogue like stuff for Freelancer like open world), and X4 - Foundations's addon/patching progress (been a big X series fan for years anyway).

I love how similar to Starpoint Gemini 3 the devs have put in Freelancer/WCP inspired planet landings into Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, brings back memories!
oXDyrvX.png

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Well, the mods did lengthen the lifespan of the I-War2, and I kind of wish this was the same for this game. I mean considering its a great homage to Privateer, part of me wanted the remake of Privateer they teased us as April fools.
Pitty the god of Man has abandoned us.

Been playing a bit since I snagged it from a bundle and..... It seems okay. It's been so long since I played Privateer and Freelancer that I honestly couldn't say if they're as barebones as Outlaw or if my memory's just glossed over the bad parts of them as the decades roll by. I was feeling worse about the game when I first started, but then I realized you could skip through basically every cutscene for landing/docking/autopilot/system jump/etc which makes banging out shitty missions much less annoying. Speaking of annoying, surprisingly enough the soundtrack's getting on my tits not due to the quality of it but because they constantly fucking lower the volume on it. Hit auto pilot, PC says something, random shithead says something on the radio, practically the only time the music is playing at normal volume is during combat and you're sure as hell not paying attention to it then, but you can't just enjoy the music if you're doing a trade run since you're non-stop hitting cutscenes and talking.

Will say I really appreciate the Privateer-like cockpits and especially the talking heads on the monitor. Mission computer's even quite Privateer looking from what I can remember. Only thing that's a bummer is I wish the radio voices were crunchier and had more static, I know there's no good reason to have static shitty audio for a fancy space game but there's also no good reason to have bright green mono colored monitors in your space ship either so fuck up that goddamn audio so I'm not getting crystal clear voice from a hideous green monitor. Still, overall it's an enjoyable cheap game even if in my gut it feels like Freelancer and even goddamn Privateer had more going on in them.

Blake00 Since I see you said you were waiting on a sale, if on the off chance you haven't picked it up by now and you're still interested, https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-21

Yosharian

Arcane
No game has ever come close to what Freelancer did, space games are just shit nowadays.

I am going to give this a try though, since they actually added the custom music feature that I kept pestering them for for so long. £4.49 is very cheap too, so let's see.

When I played the original game I completely modded the soundtrack, replaced it with FTL and EVE Online music. It was pretty neat.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
OK this game is... actually not that bad. With a bit of tweaking this has potential to be a bit of fun for a while.
No, it really is pretty bad. It's boring and linear - nothing like Freelancer or Privateer. I couldn't stomach playing it for long.

Blake00

Learned
Blake00 Since I see you said you were waiting on a sale, if on the off chance you haven't picked it up by now and you're still interested, https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-21

Cheers man, I just checked and it's already in my library so I must have found that sale afterall! Still gotta get that graphics card though so the game is still sitting on ice. I was hoping it would get some nice DLC addons in the meantime to beef up its content as I notice 'too short' is one of the common complains from players, however see they to have gone quiet on that front. Guess the game didn't sell well enough to warrant addons.

No game has ever come close to what Freelancer did, space games are just shit nowadays.
i just can't accept this.
freelancer: shit story, stupid setting, non-existant flight model, retarded proportions with 0% chance of suspension of disbelief, "keep cursor on red cross and that's it*" fights, basically only 3 ships available, 2 of whom of any usefulness and only 1 usable for the plot, and pretty much same argument for the weapons. freelancer was shit shitting shit, and this coming from someone who feels the urge to play anything with spaceships.
*: actually it was worse, because we have to add "magically heal whenever you want" and "here's a magic trick the enemy can do to avoid all damage and you can't, just to artificially prolong fights and make them even more stupid and annoying".

Have to say I have no fucking idea what's up with the difficulty estimation on missions. I'll queue up 3-4 average risk combat missions and I'll jump in and get torn to shreds in a minute or two even with upgraded armor, shields, and max tier ECM but then Richter called me up for a mission that was marked as orange/difficult and I don't even think my shields went down as I did it, and it paid something like 26k credits instead of 8k that a lot of the combat missions do. Stockpiling spacecbux since I've got enough decent components on the dump truck that it feels like I need a new ship, haven't yet decided if I want to go for a fighter or that all purpose ship. Having a turret might be nice to try to keep people off my ass but I'm not sure how effective that would be.

Yosharian

Arcane
I find that any mission that doesn't have you as the target is quite easy, and any mission where you start out as, or become the target rapidly becomes insanely hard.

The difficulty grades don't seem to take this into account.

DesolationStone

Educated
The best game with the worst reviews on steam. The truly big issue of RGO it's that he doesn't have a decent tutorial: when you start to understand how to use energy, collect minerals and upgrade your ship, the game become a gem. Also, the soundtrack it's so frakking amazing and the feeling of space battle it's astonishing

Yosharian

Arcane
Meh having spent a lot more time in the game I found that it is quite flawed

I had my fun with it and I don't regret the purchase but it grew stale quite fast after the midgame

Codex Year of the Donut
*start game*
*play as an ugly old woman*

ughhhhhhhhhhh it's going to be one of those games

bonus points for sounding like a man lmao

Last edited:

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Game would've been a big success if they made the protagonist hot instead of some dirty old dyke. If you want a female space trucker then go for an Ellen Ripley look; a bit worn and rugged without being a full lesbian. But modern game devs are gonna modern game dev. I'll grab the discounted version on gog-games. Hopefully this works with my Thrustmaster because space combat sims aren't worth playing with keyboard+mouse/gamepad in my opinion.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
*start game*

The most recent space flight game I played was Star Wars: Squadrons. It wasn't great. The first thing I saw that made me realize the game had problems was when I got to the character selection screen. No white dudes. I'm not even white, and if I see a character selection screen with no white dudes, I realize something's fishy.

I remember actually, there was one guy who might have been white. He had kind of a scruffy-but-harmless Mexican look about him, with kind of fluffy facial hair, like if a twelve-year-old boy decides to stop shaving.

LarryTyphoid I haven't played this "sequel" but I think the problem wasn't the protagonist so much as the gameplay. I don't think this game is so much a sequel as it is another game set in the same universe. The gameplay puts it almost in a different genre.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
*start game*

The most recent space flight game I played was Star Wars: Squadrons. It wasn't great. The first thing I saw that made me realize the game had problems was when I got to the character selection screen. No white dudes. I'm not even white, and if I see a character selection screen with no white dudes, I realize something's fishy.

I remember actually, there was one guy who might have been white. He had kind of a scruffy-but-harmless Mexican look about him, with kind of fluffy facial hair, like if a twelve-year-old boy decides to stop shaving.

LarryTyphoid I haven't played this "sequel" but I think the problem wasn't the protagonist so much as the gameplay. I don't think this game is so much a sequel as it is another game set in the same universe. The gameplay puts it almost in a different genre.
First game was an arcadey capital ship simulator with broadsides and stuff, sequel is a dogfighter (although you could buy the big cargo ship with the turrets if you're lazy).

Honestly, first game was better, but both games suffered lack of content and pretty bland writing. Outside of getting money to buy more ships, there isn't much to it.

DesolationStone

Educated
Game would've been a big success if they made the protagonist hot instead of some dirty old dyke. If you want a female space trucker then go for an Ellen Ripley look; a bit worn and rugged without being a full lesbian. But modern game devs are gonna modern game dev. I'll grab the discounted version on gog-games. Hopefully this works with my Thrustmaster because space combat sims aren't worth playing with keyboard+mouse/gamepad in my opinion.
The game supports joysticks and HOTAS setup, but if I remember correctly, it was mainly designed for gamepads.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah I can't really recommend this game unless you get it on a deep sale, then it's an amusing toy to play with for a few hours or ten, until it becomes boring

It isn't the Freelancer successor I was hoping it was sadly

It's also not a combat sim in any sense so don't buy it hoping for that

Latelistener

Arcane
Squadrons was made by Motive, so probably some part of Bioware Montreal was in it and you should know what to expect from them after Andromeda.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
It's also not a combat sim in any sense so don't buy it hoping for that
Damn. What's the point of making a game like this and not having it be a combat sim? Were Wing Commander and X-Wing not arcade-y enough for some people?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom