Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

A horse of course

0PLnfQ8.png

Enjoy your year of Troy DLC fantasoylets hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i don't get it. months and months for their dlcs for what usually ends like the amount of work an average lone modder would do in a week.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
i don't get it. months and months for their dlcs for what usually ends like the amount of work an average lone modder would do in a week.
Average modder is unemployed lone virgin. Obviously he spends VASTLY more effort than a office lady that goes to office at n, gets lunch break at n2, and ends work at n3.

You know these are programmers with university titles, long term workers in famous company, you can't compare them to a random self-educated high/elementary school dropout.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
"programmers". It's like 2 hours to add new mechanics and the rest is modeling and animating. Probably done by a small team while the rest work on 3/other games. Probably makes financial sense to spread out the dlc to create anticipation and not fatigue the consumer base.

tabacila

Augur
DLC confirmed for December: https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/jbrnws/the_next_wh2_dlc_will_be_released_in_december/
Apparently soon for CA means ~4 months :negative:

They keep talking about working from home, but I'm pretty sure they just moved most of their people to work on a new game, most probably WH3. WH2 got fucked after release by the devs moving to China Total War and now it's getting extra fucked by the next WH game.
Or maybe it's even worse and they're all working for Bulgaria CA because Troy was such an amazing success :).

Danikas

Arcane
They keep talking about working from home, but I'm pretty sure they just moved most of their people to work on a new game, most probably WH3. WH2 got fucked after release by the devs moving to China Total War and now it's getting extra fucked by the next WH game.
Honestly I would like them to leave WH2 alone modders are doing much better job at adding new and worthwile stuff to the game than this clowns and every dlc they release they break something in the game and you have to wait 2 months for them to fix it :lol:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

You can milk cow only for so long. They can't continue to make DLC forever. New game is likely to give them another boost of income. (CA might actually be willing to accept only DLC income for next 6 years, but SEGA Japan would start wonder WTF is happening and why so small profit.)

tabacila

Augur
Honestly I would like them to leave WH2 alone modders are doing much better job at adding new and worthwile stuff to the game than this clowns and every dlc they release they break something in the game and you have to wait 2 months for them to fix it :lol:

I agree. 50% of my interest in their updates/dlcs are the mechanics they add that then can be used by modders. Anyway since this is pretty much the last dlc, barring any WH3 pre-order stuff, WH2 is about to be left alone for good.
Now if they could only find a way to mod the map and the shitty limited building slots and we could get back to the golden days of Rome 1 and Medieval 2 modding...

LizardWizard

Cipher
WH2 is about to be left alone for good.

Which is for the best. Reminder: It took them 8 months after Warhammer 2 released to properly code in the last WH1 balance patch and actually implement the pre-order DLC.

Might as well just wait to grab the WoodElf DLC on discount once WH3 drops. Considering a shitshow like Rome 2 was getting a dlc 5 years later, WH3 will most likely be milked for at least 7 years. At least we'll have proper Chaos.

A horse of course

WH2 is about to be left alone for good.

Which is for the best. Reminder: It took them 8 months after Warhammer 2 released to properly code in the last WH1 balance patch and actually implement the pre-order DLC.

Might as well just wait to grab the WoodElf DLC on discount once WH3 drops. Considering a shitshow like Rome 2 was getting a dlc 5 years later, WH3 will most likely be milked for at least 7 years. At least we'll have proper Chaos.

There are only two acceptable ways to play Total War games:

A: Preorder and play a vanilla campaign, order every single DLC and FLC and play a new campaign with every content update so you can discuss how every change influences the overall campaign experience.

B: Ignore it for at least three years (depending on title) and play the most complete version with all the DLC in a -85% steam sale (or pirate the final, abandoned version).

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
That's just the modern ones.
Shogun-Medieval: Buy from a local store/burned discs salesman, play and enjoy.
Rome-Medieval 2: Wait a few years until the mods mature. Pick your favorite mod, play and enjoy. Never touch the vanilla campaign.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Or maybe it's even worse and they're all working for Bulgaria CA because Troy was such an amazing success

You're unfamiliar with their team structure.

They have a Historical team (TW3K being their most recent product), a Fantasy team (WH1/2/3) and a Saga team (Troy). Then they have a DLC team for Historical and Fantasy (each). If the people working on WH2 DLC have been moved on, it's because they're working on WH3 DLC.

Here's a blog post about their teams from Feb 2019.

But it is definitely interesting that WH1 came out in May '16, WH2 in Sep '17 and we're now three years removed from the last full release. It's coming by May '21, for sure. I'd actually guess earlier. Maybe even Feb-March.

tabacila

Augur
They have a Historical team (TW3K being their most recent product), a Fantasy team (WH1/2/3) and a Saga team (Troy). Then they have a DLC team for Historical and Fantasy (each). If the people working on WH2 DLC have been moved on, it's because they're working on WH3 DLC.

Here's a blog post about their teams from Feb 2019.
Yeah, I really don't buy their speil about different teams. Oh, I'm pretty sure they are divided by projects, but what's important is how many people are in each team and how many people get moved around. There's probably a large proportion of devs company-wide that get moved around and focus on their next big project.
Excluding the Bulgaria team. Those guys are now serfs to Sweeny's Tencent money.

After WH2 launched in late 2017 most of the devs probably moved to work on 3K (which was initially supposed to launch in summer 2018) with some people doing pre-prod work on WH3 and a skeleton crew for WH2. Theoretically the WH2 had a straightforward job: do DLCs and the occasional bug fix. Unfortunately they got fucked by their own poor coding and became bogged down in unexpected issues with Mortal Empires and Norsca. Combine this with pressure to keep delivering DLC on schedule and you get the super buggy and far between content updates that plagued WH2. If the WH team was still intact from WH2 I see no reason those poor fucks wouldn't have gotten some help, from people working on something very similar, especially when the community was crying murder over all the shit they left in game for months at a time.

The only explanation is that the bulk of their people were working on 3K as that was CA's main priority. Then 3K got delayed to late 2018, then mid 2019 and WH2 continued to be the red haired child no one loved. WH2 may have gotten some extra hands in late 2019 and early 2020, but right now those guys are probably hard at work on the production stage of WH3. So again WH2 is getting scraps.

CA being open to DLCs and reworks for races from older base games (even DLC ones) isn't helping WH2 at all. I'm really happy they're willing to revisit old stuff in free updates, but I'm sure there's a mentality of "Fuck it, we'll do it in game 3". That's most assuredly the fate of the Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos races, since WH3 will focus on chaos, and would also explain the really poor overhauls the Dwarfs and VCs received.

But it is definitely interesting that WH1 came out in May '16, WH2 in Sep '17 and we're now three years removed from the last full release. It's coming by May '21, for sure. I'd actually guess earlier. Maybe even Feb-March.
I really hope you are right. I really want those Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs, but I'm afraid they'll use the coof and delay it to 2022:negative:.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Dark Elves can get some crazy gold even with just a single province.

Just send an army or two to the raid some slaves, certain areas give more than others, and build a few of the slave income buildings in your province. *BAM* tens of thousands of gold per turn.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Maybe it's too late to ask, but do people play Total War (or WH2) for the campaign and the 4x layer, or for the large scale battles? I thought it was the later until I started following this thread.

I'm currently even watching tournaments and it seems fun to theorycraft army composition, on top of the RTwP tactics stuff.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe it's too late to ask, but do people play Total War (or WH2) for the campaign and the 4x layer, or for the large scale battles? I thought it was the later until I started following this thread.

I'm currently even watching tournaments and it seems fun to theorycraft army composition, on top of the RTwP tactics stuff.
Personally, the battles are the main draw for me. I prefer the smaller scale battles with limited magic and elite units backed by lower tier units. Hence, why I prefer table top unit caps mod.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I really hope you are right. I really want those Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs, but I'm afraid they'll use the coof and delay it to 202

I think we're safe in assuming Q1/2 2021. They like a major release at least every second year (TW3K was 2019, TW2 2017, TW1 2016, Attila 2015, Rome 2 2013, Shogun 2 2011).

Any longer and their bottom line really starts to feel it - they're not that big a company. Their revenue was 67m pounds last financial year and ~50m the year before.

_V_

Scholar
I prefer small scale battles and would overall much rather play a game in the vein of Dark Omen or SotHR with more developmen/RPG/company building/equipment elements than those had. But since no such game exists... here we are.
Can just hope that the Grudgbringer mod will eventually be balanced and work without crashing.

Citizen

I prefer small scale battles and would overall much rather play a game in the vein of Dark Omen or SotHR with more developmen/RPG/company building/equipment elements than those had. But since no such game exists... here we are.
Can just hope that the Grudgbringer mod will eventually be balanced and work without crashing.

Neocore's King Arthur is the closest thing we have to Dark Omen sequel

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom