Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which CRPGs from the 80s and early to mid 90s hold up best today?

sys0nar

Educated
Which CRPGs from before the Infinity Engine era hold up best today? Graphics are not a turn-down, basically I'm wondering which games have a good Suffering to Fun ratio, and good story with at least playable controls.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you can find it somewhere, B.A.T. 2 is pretty fun, even though it’s more like an adventure RPG.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I am an expert on this topic, as I hate many 90s rpgs.
However, I was able to withstand Chrono Trigger and Baldur's Gate. Most other 90s games I'm convinced only nostalgia-tourists will appreciate.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Eyes of the Beholder (gold box in general). Ultima series (Underworld probably hold up more than the first few IMO). Darklands is very obtuse and I don't know if we can say it "hold up well" in terms of UI, UX, etc. But the gameplay is unique and it's still freakin' awesome.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I am an expert on this topic, as I hate many 90s rpgs.
However, I was able to withstand Chrono Trigger and Baldur's Gate. Most other 90s games I'm convinced only nostalgia-tourists will appreciate.
Aren't you making a Realms of Arkania clone?

Voids

Augur
Ultima VII, Wizardy 7, Dark Sun, Eye of the Beholder. A lot of people slept on Dungeon Hack, which is a great game.

Ultima Underworld is one of the greatest games ever made, and still holds up exceedingly well. There are no other games like this, so be sure to play it.

Betrayal at Krondor, if you can stand the eye-cutting graphics. Very good game.

Dark Sun games are still playable, though the UI will make you curse.

Vulture (graphical NetHack). One of the all-time greats.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I would say Dungeon Master is the 1980s RPG that aged the best, not only in terms of gameplay but also controls and even performance. Wizardry I is also really solid to this day, but the console ports play way better than the original releases.

I second Betrayal at Krondor. Mechanically, it's still superior to most RPGs released since. I can't think of any "quality of life" issues. The early 3D is a definitely dated, but the graphics are quite clear, and combat is very readable. Diablo 1 still has the same fundamental experience that defined looters. Some of the controls are a touch clunky, but the game is still fun, immersive, and dare-I-say, good looking.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playability or 'quality of life' is relative. A lot of those old CRPGs look hardcore as fuck but are actually extremely comfy to play due to the all keyboard controls. I have had much fun playing old blobbers with my laptop on my belly and a hot coffee and a cold beer next to me. A game like Wizardry 6 is arguably more playable than a game like Baldurs Gate with its heavy mouse use and scrolling and constant space pressing and all that crap.

Krivol

Magister
All real time blobbers (from Dungeon Master , through EoB 1-3, Lands of Lore, to Stonekeep and Anvil of Dawn) are 100% playable - Legend of Grimrock games have mostly identical gameplay and are quite modern.

Saduj

Arcane
I’d second the guy who said Dark Sun. A lot like gold box with better interface and c&c.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom