Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Goblin haxxor literally noclips and attacks me through the rocks

20201020235850-1.jpg

Imagine throwing the javelin so hard it pierces through several meters of rock formations and right into your skull
20201021000340-1.jpg
Is it just me or are the maps very corridor-y?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm saying this because the map in the demo wasn't exactly free-form too. Solasta's team has to do like 2 things right because the system is basically 5E - maps and encounter design. I don't care about the writing all that much as long as it isn't D:OS1-tier.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm saying this because the map in the demo wasn't exactly free-form too. Solasta's team has to do like 2 things right because the system is basically 5E - maps and encounter design. I don't care about the writing all that much as long as it isn't D:OS1-tier.

Unfortunately the level design is quite bad.

Bara

Arcane
Since im also holding off for a gog copy hows the green wizard archetype if anyone is actually playing it.

I wish to make my childhood into a reality with this guy.

MV5BYzRhNGJmNGMtZWZmMi00ZTNjLTlhZDEtN2NkMGY4ZTlmZmU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMyNTkxNzY@._V1_.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Is it just me or are the maps very corridor-y?

Well it's just the first "real" map and arguably still a mini tutorial one
Nah its true , 4 hours in its still a corridor , its a follow up of tactical combat maps , good combat at least. There's no real exploration so far , biggest weakness but such linearity was to be expected. Nice touch is the map travel similar to realm of arcania.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Unfortunately the level design is quite bad.
Outside of combat, it's bad. In combat, it's good

There was the one map with lizard people where you're on a bunch of ledges. I felt like that was good map design for a fun encounter, unless you used stealth to make it all useless anyways. You have to deal with keeping the light on the enemy or you get constant disadvantage,which can be hard to do because everything is segmented. Segmentation makes it hard to maneuver well, while the lizards run around like it's nothing. Their constant advantage and your constant disadvantage makes it feel like you're fighting on their terms. The enemies can also push you into the abyss below which is an instant kill, or you could do the same.

I'm impressed with the game. Each enemy you fight actually feels unique, instead of just another enemy with some flare and higher stats and maybe a couple different spells like in other dnd based games. Lizards got darkness, and can climb walls which lets them hit you when you can't hit them; giving everyone a crossbow for situational use is useful here. The dragons swoop down to attack you then go back up; preparing actions works well against them. Goblins were just goblins. Other than the obvious tutorial fights that show you how to stealth kill or use the environment to kill enemies, the encounters have been pretty interesting, and I think I've only done 4, and it's early in the game so hopefully this is just a warm up.

The only beef I have with the game is traversing the environment outside of combat is annoying and needlessly slow. Jumping, pushing barrels, and crouching isn't interesting at all. Stealth and surprise rounds seem like they'll ruin the game and I'm not intending on using them. The game is pretty linear and rail roady but I only finished the first level before I had to go, railroady can be interesting once in a while though. It seems like we'll be seeing a lot of hallways in this game, which is fine to me as long as it doesn't turn into a trend. A little variety in games is fine from time to time.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
First impression: game is decent despite Unity and memory leaks.

It has a certain charm but it's nowhere near PfKM.

The UI is all over the place. They managed to divide basic information to all 4 corners.

A2B398E725CDBB3B68470514E9D8203B1F1B145D

Bara

Arcane
That first question you should direct at the Abrahamic religions, not at me. And yes, like I mentioned divine spellcasting can become crazy, it just doesn't happen very often and is not as commonplace. Wish should be outright banned. Turning a region fertile or infertile is good, it forces thinking about food scarcity, and it's not true there is nobody to keep the druids and clerics in check - the deities and nature do it. Or they can police themselves through philosophy and theology. Wizards have no such limits.

Okay if nature and the deities are forcing a way of life on the other mortal races who do not agree with that path what do when their the only source of magic is through them and clerics and druids are enacting their will through dogmatic beliefs.

If clerics are fixed by banning wish spells than those who find issues with reality altering spells should do the same with Wizards.

If they Druids and Clerics can police themselves via philosophy or theology so to can Wizards. Clerics and druids have monopoly on divine powers not faith as an example we have Mystra in forgotten realms.

You guys should check out Vagrus,the setting is very similar to what you are talking,and well fleshed out too.

Played the demo loved it, waiting for full release is going to be painful.

Indeed, very nice envounter also try to cast sleep spell on them while they are climbing , they just fall down to their death too.

Some one needs to tell me what happens when you cast sleep on flying monsters. Do they glide down gently or splat?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The UI is pretty bad. The layout and even the way it's designed. It's also got a really annoying *tink* sound every time you press. Doesn't fit the setting at all, seems too modern.
Please sing at another table. It's bad. Period.
Nice comment. Proud of you for being able to get all the words out.

I still stand by my comment, the encounter map layout is good. It's annoying getting there, but when combat starts, the map enhances the battle. Verticality is a stupid gimmick outside of combat but during combat it mixes everything up and makes the encounter more interesting.
Indeed, very nice encounter also try to cast sleep spell on them while they are climbing , they just fall down to their death too.
This is exactly what I mean when I say the games map layout is good outside of combat, things like this. I actually tried to cast sleep to disable them but when I tried to center the spell around my rogue, it cast it on my rogue instead. Stupid mistake.

Mortmal

Arcane
The UI is pretty bad. The layout and even the way it's designed. It's also got a really annoying *tink* sound every time you press. Doesn't fit the setting at all, seems too modern.
Please sing at another table. It's bad. Period.
Nice comment. Proud of you for being able to get all the words out.

I still stand by my comment, the encounter map layout is good. It's annoying getting there, but when combat starts, the map enhances the battle. Verticality is a stupid gimmick outside of combat but during combat it mixes everything up and makes the encounter more interesting.
Indeed, very nice encounter also try to cast sleep spell on them while they are climbing , they just fall down to their death too.
This is exactly what I mean when I say the games map layout is good outside of combat, things like this. I actually tried to cast sleep to disable them but when I tried to center the spell around my rogue, it cast it on my rogue instead. Stupid mistake.
Yes there's friendly fire, its fair and square game by the rules unlike BG3 control mage is extremely good here as it should be . One of the best combat ever, possibly better than kotc 2 .

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
This game really takes advantage of the turn based format. Much more than bg3 or dos2 or ToEE. A lot of what this game gives you wouldn't be possible in rtwp whereas those other games could be rtwp and you wouldn't lose much. Having enemies swoop down to attack you then fly out of reach to fuck with your melee or lizards hanging on corners so that ranged can't shoot them or pushing them down cliffs is much more interesting than puddles and barrels and falling chandeliers.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Yes there's friendly fire, its fair and square game by the rules unlike BG3 control mage is extremely good here as it should be . One of the best combat ever, possibly better than kotc 2 .
To be clear though, it's because I accidentally pressed on my rogue instead of on the tile under them. Didn't affect the enemy at all, just my characters. From what I've seen, the combat is top tier. I hope they get enough feedback that tells them to improve some of the stuff outside of combat. I hope that one day we can see them make a game with a big enough budget for a longer, more in-depth campaign with all the classes.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Quite a charming game, solid combat. The world map travel in particular is a nice flavour addition to what I experienced with the demo.

Question if anybody knows the answer: in town I spoke to a lady who talked about scavenger services. How does that work? Do I just leave any standard stuff (weapons, armor) un-looted, or drop it on the ground - and then what?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
How moddable does the game seem? Do we know yet? Adding new classes and kits could find their way in there maybe

The devs are keen for modders to mod, but they're limited by their resources in terms of creating tools for modders.

In one of the Q&As, the devs said they'll probably not release tools, but that in speaking with "pro" modders, the modders had said that if they leave the code open enough to do cool things, that'll be sufficient; so that's probably what the devs are going to do once the dust has settled and the game's finished and running, just keep the game fairly transparent for modders and maybe release some basic needed tools. The devs also said that level design tools in particular seem unlikely, as the way they build the levels is probably too fiddly for modders to bother with, but again, if the code is open enough, it's possible modders might find ways and means themselves.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I slept a flying wizard and had him splat down on the floor. Verticality isn't just a gimmick like I thought it might be. It's a natural extension of 3d turn based games. You got bg3 with 300+ employees but like always nowadays, it's A/AA developers inovating.

Bara

Arcane
I'm liking everything I'm seeing here more than BG3 but I don't think BG3 is terrible and plan to play both.

Peace and love folks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom