Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"AAA" is a marketing tool

Doktor Best

Arcane
Politicians sometimes promise things they don't intent to follow up on just so they get elected.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Don't presume I buy triple a games. I pirate whatever I can to bring pc gaming to destruction even faster. Only games with online functionality are allowed to stay in this day and age.
Single player cinematic experiences lasting for eight hours should be a thing of the past.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I get the argument, but it is weakened by their being others doing the same thing for the same thing. Is GOG a publisher too? Epic? Origin? Also a lot of indies still work with what they still label publishers, like New Blood or Night Dive.
Honestly, I think you could make the case more for Epic, Uplay and Origin. Usually if you're on those storefronts they threw money at you at some point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honestly, I think you could make the case more for Epic, Uplay and Origin. Usually if you're on those storefronts they threw money at you at some point.

If you're exclusive to them, certainly. They sell a lot of random shit that's everywhere though.

I thought sure we were headed to a place where every major publisher had their own client and you could only get their games there, while Steam and GOG sold mostly indies and AA stuff, but EA running back to Steam and Epic doing its thing have complicated that theory.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
"AAA" is the sound I make when it turns out disc 7 of 8 of this install has a replication fault on the disc and refuses to install. NEVER BUY AAA PHYSICAL MEDIA! There's a reason they started shipping cardboard instead.
After GTA5 I refuse to ever buy garbage like that again. Lucky they at least provided a digital copy or I would've been mighty pissed.

Turns out I wasted my money though only reason I bought it was because I had employee discount and the place I worked and was bored that weekend. GTA Online was not worth it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't presume I buy triple a games. I pirate whatever I can to bring pc gaming to destruction even faster. Only games with online functionality are allowed to stay in this day and age.
Single player cinematic experiences lasting for eight hours should be a thing of the past.
Then why do you play them at all, if they are so terrible? If you are voting with your wallet, you are doing the good thing and others should follow your example. But if you are still playing the games from beginning to end, you are just a thief.

Codex Year of the Donut
Then why do you play them at all, if they are so terrible? If you are voting with your wallet, you are doing the good thing and others should follow your example. But if you are still playing the games from beginning to end, you are just a thief.
Piracy isn't theft therefore he is not a thief.

Gastrick

Cipher
AAA is just a term used to describe big budget games. Retard fans are usually more interested in other catchphrases that have more to do with quality like "photo-realistic graphics", "open world", "storydriven" or "by creators of X game(s)".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is GOG a publisher too? Epic? Origin?
Yes. And there are still traditional publishers, like Devolver Digital, but a lot of them also just publish on Steam.
The way I see it, if there is a middle man between the guy making the art, and the guy enjoying the art, you have a publisher. That's how it works in music. I think games should use music's terminology rather than books terminology. But even music is still talking about physical publishing on disks, and hasn't fully moved to digital.

So bandcamp is also a publisher? :roll:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is the term AAA really used in marketing though? I don't think the average gamer gets a hard-on if they read that a game like The Witcher 3 or GTA V is "a AAA game" - they know it is within that budget range just from looking at it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is the term AAA really used in marketing though? I don't think the average gamer gets a hard-on if they read that a game like The Witcher 3 or GTA V is "a AAA game" - they know it is within that budget range just from looking at it.

It's a "very online" term, yeah. I think the average Joe still knows what is "big budget" and what isn't though, they just don't use the term AAA. The idea of making things look big budget so you can sell more is still a true motivation. That's why lots of "AA" developers try and make their shit look "AAA" and usually end up fucking it up. Like Serious Sam 4, as a recent example.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
"AAA" is equivalent to say "it is an RPG now".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom