Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bah

Arcane
Agreed on all points. Not to mention they've backed themselves into a corner for some of the UI screens, like the character screen that shows all four party members side by side. They couldn't easily fit another character sheet onto that screen.

Agreed on all points. Not to mention they've backed themselves into a corner for some of the UI screens, like the character screen that shows all four party members side by side. They couldn't easily fit another character sheet onto that screen.
It seems they actually have already a six men UI in place, as well as some people already managed to fill a party of six by starting a multiplayer game and adding NPCs.
Apparently the UI scales and adapts.

I don't even think that's a real issue, anyway, since the current UI is inadequate even for four characters and will be in dire need of an extensive rework over the months (if they care enough to be bothered with it, at least).

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm pretty sure you posted 10 times more than I ever did lol...
Not in one thread, not back-to-back posting, older account, etc. How can you be so arrogant that you're this retarded, yet still think people need to hear you repeat the same opinion ad nauseum?

Who cares if you got annoyed? lol...Here comes 5 more messages, enjoy!!
Rule 3
Rule 4 means you should free all Kalinites and Jim Profit.

For the most part, you should expect the moderators to follow and enforce these rules but while I will happily argue with you about it until page 57 and beyond, if you are having trouble grasping who's in control here - or you think you have some legal right of appeal; that you can "rule-nazi" your way out of a hole - think again.
It's good practice to always include a line in any set of rules that basically says "But in the end, I can do whatever I want" Even the dnd rulebook has it for dms.

Codex Year of the Donut
It seems they actually have already a six men UI in place, as well as some people already managed to fill a party of six by starting a multiplayer game and adding NPCs.
Apparently the UI scales and adapts.

I don't even think that's a real issue, anyway, since the current UI is inadequate even for four characters and will be in dire need of an extensive rework over the months (if they care enough to be bothered with it, at least).
What, you guys don't play with 6 party members?
AOwrBon.png

GgAir4D.png

Murk

Arcane
I hope they return the combined inventory + character screen of DOS2. That thing was very convenient and easy to use, this one is far more cumbersome, IMO, and also leaving the game screen excluded for ease drag/drop.

You can get a "small" inventory screen by pressing the weird bracket button when in the full inventory, but no such shortcut to it which is great for stuff like moving chests/barrels/etc.

Murk

Arcane
re: the tadpole in the dwarf who dies (the one who was attacked by the owlbear). Apparently if you fail the skill save you can still kill the tadpole, as it's not just a cutscene, but it has an actual in-game model that runs away. You can just activate turnbased combat mode and target it down.

Noice.

re: the tadpole in the dwarf who dies (the one who was attacked by the owlbear). Apparently if you fail the skill save you can still kill the tadpole, as it's not just a cutscene, but it has an actual in-game model that runs away. You can just activate turnbased combat mode and target it down.

Noice.
The same goes for all the other characters with a tadpole in their heads, like the three goblin leaders.

Murk

Arcane
Considering how much OS 1 and 2 were a playground for casters, gonna disagree there.

You can only get up to level 4, can't imagine casters were much at that level in any edition of d&d really. I'll hold out judgment til we see what comes further down. I know the beginning of BG 1 as a mage was a complete slog as a subpar dart/sling character with the occasional sleep or magic missile.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Warlock is the best EA class if you aren't rest spamming though.

I disagree.

Should be 2 short rest per long rest, so WLK with only one short rest, can cast 4 spells per long rest, while other casters can cast 6.

Dark One blessing and Eldritch Blast with repealing blast are the two unique good things about WLK on EA...

Considering how much OS 1 and 2 were a playground for casters, gonna disagree there.

Considering how they made casters gear and gimmicky dependent with cooldown on everything, I disagree.

PS : Not having lv 5 is one of the reasons which seems that they hate casters.

• Low level cap preventing the usage of all cool spells[1]
  • Lack(only one) of melee companions
  • Enemies has hp bloat and AC nerf
  • Magical items are far more common but magical scrolls aren't
  • A lot of cool spells seems to be restricted to enemies[2]
  • Ultra limitation on short rests.[3]

1 -> The low level cap(4 on EA), in a campaign which starts with a spelljammer mindflayer ship fighting an draconic army makes no sense. An low level campaign starting on candlekeep makes perfectly sense. A low level campaign starting with the PC escaping a mindflayer spelljammer ship makes zero sense. Back on 2e, Paladins only get some divine spells on lv 9. Necromancers, reanimation spells on lv 9 too. On 5e, lv 5 is when a evoker starts to have a very limited, once per rest destructive spell.

Larian also said that "high level spells doesn't work on video games". Which isn't truth. BG2 had Stop Time, Chain contingency summon planetar, wail of the banshee and a lot of powerful spells. Sure, some of then got adaptations like Wish but this spells can work in video games and worked in many video games.

Wyll for eg, a NOBLE and warlock. How someone can be a noble of lv 1? Nobles should have money and resources to train and get a lot of levels. None of nobles of NEverwinter on nwn2 was ultra low level.

2 -> Only enemies seems to be able to summon worgs. Why no PC can cast Summon Monster??? They are as low level as the player

3 -> On the beginning, Larian talked about a short rest after each battle which would make WLK ludicrous OP. Now is a single short rest per long rest which is too limited. Why not something like 3 short rests per long rest? It would put the spell usage of WLK more in line with other arcane casters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can't buy yourself more levels, it doesn't work that way. The training is what allowed you to be able to gain levels in the first place.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You can't buy yourself more levels, it doesn't work that way. The training is what allowed you to be able to gain levels in the first place.

Many editions of D&D has rules for training to level up ( https://dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki/Training )

If you are of nobleborn, you CAN pay the best instructors of the world to teach you. On 2e "Characters must pay a tutor around 100 gp per level per week, with the duration based on the instructor's Wisdom score. The character must then pass a Wisdom or Intelligence check to level up, retrying each week until successful. The tutor must be a character of the same class and of higher level."

An noble can easily reach about lv 10 with only good instruction.

Lv 0 peasants makes sense. Lv 1 noble born warlock makes zero sense. If he has a fiend patron, assuming an devil, he can buy slaves and offers their slaves to his patron in exchange of training. An devil will gladly accept new souls for so little work. An demon, would be harder but possible. Imagine being instructed by an succubus tutor

Murk

Arcane
I'll leave you to your noble crusade.

Unrelated to the above, they def need to fix your offhand gear affecting your main hand gear. With the gnoll mace my bow attacks are leeching HP, and I have the +2 AC from having a shield (despite using a bow). Even without switching to it.

Also I saw a few people mention that hunters mark doesn't work with colossus, but it did for me (hunter's mark damage is included in your main attack as a weapon enhancement +1d6 in the log, colossus is a separate roll entry in the log).

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Many editions of D&D has rules for training to level up ( https://dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki/Training )

Did you even read the info you're referring to?
In the 1st edition of D&D in addition to gaining enough xp to level up you had to spend time and money on tutors.
So yeah, you can't just buy yourself into high levels, you still have to go out there and chop enough rats and spiders to gain xp and qualify for a level up.

Besides you seem to be muddling together social status and character level.
Yes, in some D&D editions there is an aristocrat (and a commoner) as separate NPC class, but a PCs can take levels in it too.
But nothing prevents you to have a fighter, wizard, rogue or whatever of a noble aristocratic birth.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's not a summon, it's a companion for goblin beastmaster rangers.

Also, apparently there's a point where you can put worg shit on your face for some reason.

Varnaan

Augur
  • Low level cap preventing the usage of all cool spells[1]
  • Lack(only one) of melee companions
  • Enemies has hp bloat and AC nerf
  • Magical items are far more common but magical scrolls aren't
  • A lot of cool spells seems to be restricted to enemies[2]
  • Ultra limitation on short rests.[3]

1. That's probably because the level 5+ abilities are still indev and level 3 spells not implemented yet.
Taking an Alpha (or pre-Alpha) limitation as an overall design choice is silly.
2.Arguahly 2 if you count cleric as a melee class, and not all companions are in the game yet
3.I checked with the monster manual and the HP bloat is not that huge compared to potential player damage, especially if you use all the ressources available (wyrm poison :smug:)
4.I'm nearing the end of the EA (30 hours first playthrough) and I have like 100 scrolls in my bags, while many magic items slots are missing, there's a bunch of necklaces but not that many rings, a lot of weapons and robes but no heavy armors, etc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom