Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I slept a flying wizard and had him splat down on the floor. Verticality isn't just a gimmick like I thought it might be. It's a natural extension of 3d turn based games. You got bg3 with 300+ employees but like always nowadays, it's A/AA developers inovating.

Yep. Is sad how few games explore verticality...

------------------------

Anyway, Sorcerer DLC when???

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Question if anybody knows the answer: in town I spoke to a lady who talked about scavenger services. How does that work? Do I just leave any standard stuff (weapons, armor) un-looted, or drop it on the ground - and then what?

It doesn't. It's not yet implemented in the EA version.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
So far the only thing that pissed me off is the level of tutorial handholding. While it's probably good for dumbfuck streamers I've seen trying to play BG, and actual noobs (think little kids) the tutorial starts in the main fucking menu. Should at least have an option to set it to only spam me about things which are Solasta-specific.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Solasta is currently 92% positive compared to BG3 being only 87% on steam. Checkmate Larain fans, Just ignore total user reviews.

Past the joking still good to see initial reception is going well for Solasta. Hopefully that helps it gain notice.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Oh an early access game. I guess I should post how much I hate the developer because of the title of the game for the next 100 pages or so despite having never played it. :M

I looked at buying this earlier. Seems interesting, but Unity...

Also, how is the gameplay outside of combat? Stat checks in dialog, multiple ways to solve problems? Or is it just a combat game?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
First little bug - managed to initiate combat while in the same cell with the enemy while sneaking on him

20201020233629-1.jpg

It looks like you are fucking him

PrettyDeadman

Dat facial expressions. Also, for some reason halfling males are prettier than any women from the character creation....
5u7G7O3.png

Paladin has lazy eye:
l88inh3.png

And dwarf looks like he needs to shit badly, but can't leave because questgiver finally showed up.

Codex Year of the Donut
Dat facial expressions. Also, for some reason halfling males are prettier than any women from the character creation....
5u7G7O3.png

Paladin has lazy eye:
l88inh3.png

And dwarf looks like he needs to shit badly, but can't leave because questgiver finally showed up.
looks good enough to me
unless a game is specifically trying to be cinematic I don't care what the graphics are as long as they're a decent approximation of what they're trying to represent

V_K

Arcane
Is it just me or are the maps very corridor-y?
I dunno what you mean by "very corridor-y" exactly, but at the very least there's some branching going on.
E.g. on that very map there's a ledge off the main path you can jump off to enter a fairly open cave.
Also, Solasta has a very zoomed out camera (which is good), so naturally the area boundaries are easier to see. Because of that, something that would look fairly open in, say, DOS2 gets more claustrophobic in Solasta.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
OK, people, this will be short and simple. I know absolutely NOTHING about this game, and this is intentional. For those who've played - is it good. A simple "yes" or "no" please.

PrettyDeadman

OK, people, this will be short and simple. I know absolutely NOTHING about this game, and this is intentional. For those who've played - is it good. A simple "yes" or "no" please.
yes
I actually quite enjoy interactions between characters in party.

Thonius

Arcane
Game is nice. Armor look dumb. Overall character visuals remind me of Nwn 2. Some dialog made me chuckle. Character's dispositions and banter are nice. Tutorial as story/bragging time - nice touch.
I don't get it why they are trying to do that cinematic approach while character visuals are.... ok not good.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, if you only care about combat and replayability isn't very important to you.

No, if you care about everything else. Interactions between party members are funny, but they aren't enough to justify the out-of-combat parts, and exploration is currently a time-wasting joke.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Myzzrym what's the best way to give feedback? Commenting here seems pointless, due to how easy it is for a post to get lost in pages of discussions about the moral rightness of a wizard genocide. Can we use a separate feedback thread devoid of bullshit? Or would no one check that?

Codex Year of the Donut
Myzzrym what's the best way to give feedback? Commenting here seems pointless, due to how easy it is for a post to get lost in pages of discussions about the moral rightness of a wizard genocide. Can we use a separate feedback thread devoid of bullshit? Or would no one check that?
Is your feedback related to it being ok to genocide all wizards?

DemonKing

Arcane
Just did the tutorials and mucked around with the character generator a bit - so far I'm pretty impressed. A couple of times the dialog options seemed non-sensical and it would be nice if you could turn the subtitles off but it certainly has some (rough) charm.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Is your feedback related to it being ok to genocide all wizards?
There's no point in giving feedback on that. Of course it is ok to genocide all wizards.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Probably gonna wait until Early Access is over for this one, maybe they scrape together a bit of a budget in the meantime and manage to add more classes.

Still nice to see it isn't a total shitshow, now we only need The Fellowhsip Saga to be good for the 5e triad to be completed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I kinda doubt this would be good for anything else than a single playthrough to own the libs BG3 enthusiasts? Yeah, the combat system is fine, it's 5E, but everything else seems questionable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/if-baldurs-...y-be-the-dice-obsessed-rpg-youre-looking-for/

If Baldur's Gate 3 isn't D&D enough for you, Solasta may be the dice-obsessed RPG you're looking for
Solasta does a great job adapting tabletop combat, but there's not much else in its Early Access release.

Most videogame RPGs cite Dungeons & Dragons as their primary inspiration, but few directly adapt its rules. In a world of cooldowns and mana bars, D&D's dice rolls, bonus actions, spell slots, and long rests can feel clunky and restrictive when applied to a videogame. Even Baldur's Gate 3 makes many notable changes to make D&D more user-friendly, while indie RPG Solasta wears the 5e ruleset as a badge of honor, warts and all.

This is a game where combat is on a grid, where every d20 rolls on screen, and where jumping away from enemies is a sometimes-treat rather than a regular part of every meal.

While it may forever lurk in the shadow of Baldur's Gate 3, its crunchy, dice-heavy combat is just what I want in a lean adaptation of the tabletop RPG. Solastsa adapts the 5e rules via the Open Gaming License, which doesn't include the D&D worlds or trademark creatures. We won't be adventuring along the Sword Coast and battling beholders, but we will be creating a custom party of four heroes using five familiar races and six classic D&D classes like Fighter, Rogue, and Cleric.

The world of Solasta is entirely original and sets up a few interesting elements. Humans arrived through a cataclysmic portal as refugees, creating a dangerous wilderness in its wake, rife for adventurers. Unfortunately they arrived in a land of orcs, elves, goblins, and dwarves that can't help but feel like off-brand D&D in a generic fantasy world. There's a council of boring talking heads and several forgettable factions. The story, or at least the first dozen hours, never builds much beyond exploring the Badlands—in generic D&D, it's always the Badlands—and fearing the return of an ancient race of powerful lizardfolk.

My first mission is to check up on an outpost on the border to the Badlands. On the way up the cliffside I'm attacked by goblins, and everyone rolls for initiative.

Rolling dice is at the heart of playing D&D, whether it's swinging a sword, intimidating a guard captain, or leaping across a chasm. Most RPGs obfuscate their dice, including Baldur's Gate 3, where I have to open the combat log to check the rolls, modifiers, and saving throws. Solasta embraces them, rolling digital dice directly on screen, and even providing the option of customizing their colors for different attack rolls and damage types (unlocking fancier dice is clearly a missed opportunity).

Nowhere are the dice more prevalent than in combat, and combat is where Solasta truly shines. The grid-based level design translates perfectly from tabletop battlemats, with the added benefit of a 3D battlefield that frequently features flying and wall-climbing enemies. Combat ends up looking like XCOM with a focus on cover, elevation, and positioning.

Even at level one my wizard is invaluable, knocking most of the goblins unconscious with a single Sleep spell, no saving throw required. My favorite thing about Solasta is that combat is so faithful to the rules—it continually rewards my D&D knowledge. A prone, unconscious enemy grants advantage to nearby attackers, meaning I can roll my d20 attack die twice, increasing my odds of hitting them. My rogue applies his extra 1d6 sneak attack damage whenever he has advantage, making this a decisive combo that I was excited to see work so well.

If you're not a D&D veteran, though, Solasta may feel clunky. My dwarf fighter, Garn Redbeard (yes, he has a red beard) can dual wield hand axes as both have the light property, but he'll need to use a Bonus Action for his off-hand attack. In multiple battles I needed to use one character to provide a light source before attacking with another, as enemies in dim light grant disadvantage, making them much harder to hit.

In other games, disadvantage would simply be streamlined into a lower hit percentage. But Solasta insists on including as much of the D&D rulebook as it can, even rules that my D&D group has long since hand-waved away, such as frequent random encounters while traveling, and encumbrance. Carrying capacity is annoyingly strict in Solasta, even for characters with decent strength, forcing me to constantly shuffle items and leave behind extra weapons and armor. It's a packrat's worst nightmare.

Outside of combat, Solasta unfortunately doesn't have much to offer in its Early Access form. The UI looks great in battle, but character sheets are oddly missing crucial information, like fighting styles and feats.

Character creation includes rolling dice for stats and selecting class-specific starting equipment, exactly as it's detailed in the D&D Player's Handbook. Solasta adds new personality traits, which are built from selecting a character's background and alignment. A chaotic neutral sellsword can select traits like Egoism, Greed, and Violence, while a lawful good Lawkeeper can choose Authority, Altruism, and Kindness.

Each character's fully-voiced in-game personality is derived from these traits, a satisfying trick with very obvious limitations. I loved seeing my academic wizard flex her knowledge and etiquette while my sellsword dwarf cracked jokes. But the big drawback is that Solasta doesn't provide an avenue for actual role-playing. Unlike deeper RPGs, dialogue is handled by selecting talking points instead of choices, and occasionally making a skill check to Persuade or Intimidate. It's too passive to be engaging. While the voice acting is decent, character models are distractingly hideous.

Solasta's biggest drawback, aside from frequent bugs which should hopefully be cleaned up by the day one patch, is the barren world design and lack of side quests. The main city is too big and mostly empty, with barely any NPCs to give it a sense of life. There are multiple factions, but talking to them is purely transactional. I turn in faction-specific loot to unlock more vendor options, with no personality or politics setting them apart.

I'm never presented with anything more than traveling to the next main quest area, which may feature a single side quest. Traveling is a montage of mini-events on an overland map, punctuated by occasional random encounters that are mostly pointless thanks to D&D's rest mechanics.

It's a crushing shame, as Solasta is a near-perfect D&D 5e combat simulator, with fun, frequent dice rolls and a good handle on travel rules, crafting, and rest restrictions. Hardcore D&D fans annoyed by Baldur's Gate 3's many liberties may find refuge in Solasta, but jumping into Early Access puts you in an off-brand D&D world that still feels like a rough sketch of a full RPG.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's more than good, way more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom