Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Are BG1 and BG2 too dated today?

I saw BG3 on steam and it was trending on reddit. It looks pretty sweet as a game. Is the story of BG1 and BG2 related to BG3 in anyway and should I play them first? I don't really like turn-based games and they look very dated. But I don't want to miss out on any story.

Also, Do I need to play BG1 to understand the story of BG2?

bminorkey

is there even a point in playing baldurs gate in 2020? its some fkn game for neckbeards from 2 decades ago LOL. who the fuck cares about forgotten realms nowaday LMAO. personally ive been getting into mass effect lately. you can tell that its a much more advanced modern game and it doesnt have all that clunky bs the baldurs gate had to put in there because computers back in the day couldnt emulate gunfire in realtime, like "real time with pause" (LOL cant admit your game cant handle realtime so you use hack corporate speak) and gender-restricted romance options (LOL imagine not being inclusive of gay and bisexual LGBT ppl in 2020???). i like it alot better because the graphics are 3D and every line is voice acted. so yea i agree baldurs gate is super outdated you shoud throw that shit in the trash bin man

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
is there even a point in playing baldurs gate in 2020? its some fkn game for neckbeards from 2 decades ago LOL. who the fuck cares about forgotten realms nowaday LMAO. personally ive been getting into mass effect lately. you can tell that its a much more advanced modern game and it doesnt have all that clunky bs the baldurs gate had to put in there because computers back in the day couldnt emulate gunfire in realtime, like "real time with pause" (LOL cant admit your game cant handle realtime so you use hack corporate speak) and gender-restricted romance options (LOL imagine not being inclusive of gay and bisexual LGBT ppl in 2020???). i like it alot better because the graphics are 3D and every line is voice acted. so yea i agree baldurs gate is super outdated you shoud throw that shit in the trash bin man

5OvdItm.png

Robber Baron

Savant
1.jpg

Yeah, I remember playing Balders Gate when I was like in fifth grade or smth, me and my mate used to play it after school . There was that lady with huge fucking tits in that elf thong tavern or smth. You'd go into catacombs then and slay half a billion rats there just to make titty lady happy. I played short muscleman and my friend played the halfnaked magic woman, cause he was always horny that sorry little wanker. Anwyay so then you find out that there's some gay shit going on in these sewers and return only to be sent into another copypasted to death labyrinth. So so in the end, nothing special, there were better games on Playstation 2. And you don't need to play 1 but you can transfer your save file into the second game to play the halfnaked magic woman there. Because all the women in 2 are fucking ugly.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I mean this is a bait thread but I want to say smth on the topic of "dated games" in general:

I really hate it when ppl talk about how games have aged badly. They haven't! ppl just got used to quality of life stuff. The game that was great in 1989 is still great today if you let yourself immerse into it. I mean seriously I played so many games that are older than I am and loved the fuck out of them, anyone saying a game is dated is a decline enabler. Just adapt to the older game and learn to enjoy it.

Books aren't dated just because the language and narrative style changed, movies aren't dated just because they are in black and white and without sound and games aren't dated just because they have only a few colors or a dungeon wall tapestry for a forest texture.

And now everyone should go and play wizardry VI you faggots lol :positive:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I really hate it when ppl talk about how games have aged badly. They haven't! ppl just got used to quality of life stuff. The game that was great in 1989 is still great today if you let yourself immerse into it. I mean seriously I played so many games that are older than I am and loved the fuck out of them, anyone saying a game is dated is a decline enabler. Just adapt to the older game and learn to enjoy it.

Books aren't dated just because the language and narrative style changed, movies aren't dated just because they are in black and white and without sound and games aren't dated just because they have only a few colors or a dungeon wall tapestry for a forest texture.
Damn, I wanted to say exactly that. Well, not exactly, my choice of words was "anyone who speaks about games "being dated, haven't aged well, didn't hold up" is a disgusting cornholing graphicsfagging retard", but yeah, the message is the same.

Lurker47

Savant
Only in terms of combat. Turn-based combat is timeless with lots of room for experimentation. I can't imagine an actually good RTWP combat system that wouldn't need the micromanagement and reaction speeds of a South Korean.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Only in terms of combat. Turn-based combat is timeless with lots of room for experimentation. I can't imagine an actually good RTWP combat system that wouldn't need the micromanagement and reaction speeds of a South Korean.

That's funny. I'm now old enough (over 50) that I am noticeably worse at FPS games, even though I'm in better physical shape than I've been in decades. But I have no problems with RTwP games like BG1+2 and IWD, except as always for the worst clusterfucks with lots of units using magic and special abilities.
As long as you can pause the games they are in practice closer to TB than RT, and you don't need good reaction speed. It's more a question of keeping track.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean this is a bait thread but I want to say smth on the topic of "dated games" in general:

And now everyone should go and play wizardry VI you faggots lol :positive:

"If you like old stuff, it must be nostalgia"
"Of course new stuff is better, that's why it's new"
"But [Year]!!!!"
"If they don't do it that way anymore there must be a good reason!"

The 'dated' argument is like a fanny pack full of the most braindead logical fallacies. What is good must always be explained and defended. It's just that for the new stuff, marketing $ does it for you, however stupidly.

DraQ

Arcane
BG1 was already too dated back when it was released.
:smug:
:troll:
Not really dated, actually. It did look and sound p. cool.
It also had chill narrator and item descriptions are always a plus.

And that's pretty much all there was to it - overall it was p. decline across the board.
Problem BG fags?
Lol, Burdel's Gate.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
BG1 has a great atmosphere and sense of adventure.

BG2's has fun and more interesting combat+many great encounters.

Yea, they are worth playing.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It could be said that they're too dated today, yes. At the time they were mediocre dumbed-down games with outstanding production values that attracted kiddies and graphics whores. By today standards they're nothing special though, today they're just mediocre games.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really hate it when ppl talk about how games have aged badly. They haven't! ppl just got used to quality of life stuff.

Well, yes and no. To say a game lacks quality of life features is just another way of saying it has aged badly, no? While I do enjoy old games as well it is hard to deny they can on occasion be harder to get into because of archaic features or lack of modern conveniences. I played through Ultima 4 and loved it as a very interesting experience but I'd be hard-pressed not to say that it also had pretty tedious and dare I say outdated gameplay features.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's like saying whisky ages badly.

"Ayo this bottle is FRESH bro just 1 week old."

Yeah... You go ahead and enjoy that... "Bro"...

Just like whisky becomes tastier with age, so do games with mod support. It's a good analogy.

Games with mod support gain tons of new content, gameplay mods to make any changes you might want, fan patches that fix the last remaining bugs...

Even some old games without direct mod support have received fan patches, or cut content restoration mods. Arcanum has Drog's patch. The Gold Box games have Gold Box Companion for a more convenient modernized interface. Neverwinter Nights, as much as I hate this game's shit-tier gameplay, has hundreds of user modules, most of which are better than the OC. If we look outside of RPGs, the Total War and Civilization games have tons of total conversion and major overhaul mods. They even have mods that improve the AI. Doom has several fucking sourceports and thousands of gameplay mods and new maps to play, both single and multiplayer. There are over a thousand fan missions for Thief. There are even more for the old Tomb Raider games.

Age only makes games better because dedicated fanbases will work on improving or modifying the originals. Games released 10, 20, 30 years ago are so much richer in content than they were at release thanks to the tireless work of dedicated fans.

Games age like fine whisky.

ADL

Prophet
this but unironically

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom