Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HUMANKIND - Amplitude's historical turn-based strategy

like the fc internazionale, every year in august, before the beginning of it, it's already won the championship. two months in and they're back to be considered the joke of a team they've always been and always be.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So apparently a demo is or will be out soon, but it will only be available on google stadia.

https://www.pcgamer.com/humankind-stadia-demo/
Ah, another one of these situations.

XCFgzSo.png

ADL

Prophet
I was gonna try out the demo via Stadia but Notre Dame as a wonder exclusive to the Digital Deluxe version?
Now I'll just pirate it. That's some dumb bullshit.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
My largest problem with Endless Legend is that it is a bit bland. Perhaps there is more hidden in the quest text dumps that I have never read, but the factions all seem a bit shallow in their presentation and personality.
I suspect Humankind by allowing you to mix cultures further than CIV, will also suffer from having bland factions. And if I do not like my faction in a 4x, then I am not invested.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
My largest problem with Endless Legend is that it is a bit bland. Perhaps there is more hidden in the quest text dumps that I have never read, but the factions all seem a bit shallow in their presentation and personality.
I suspect Humankind by allowing you to mix cultures further than CIV, will also suffer from having bland factions. And if I do not like my faction in a 4x, then I am not invested.

Aren't the Endless games all about distinct factions? In relative terms anyways. Compared to something like Civ.

oldbonebrown

Arcane

Aren't the Endless games all about distinct factions? In relative terms anyways. Compared to something like Civ.

Perhaps I just don't like the art style, and presentation of it all.
It seems very thin within the game, plastic.

I'm interested if anyone else really likes playing any of the factions in Endless Legend.
HUMXNKIND looks like it will have even less gripping teams for you to play. If there are no great factions, can you have a great 4X?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

I'm interested if anyone else really likes playing any of the factions in Endless Legend.
HUMXNKIND looks like it will have even less gripping teams for you to play. If there are no great factions, can you have a great 4X?

The art was mediocre for sure. I'm not saying the factions are great per say, I just can't think of an example of a "great" faction in 4x. What games had actual good factions?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The feck are you people talking about. Can you point me to modern 4X games with better faction design and art? My wallet is ready.

oldbonebrown

Arcane

The art was mediocre for sure. I'm not saying the factions are great per say, I just can't think of an example of a "great" faction in 4x. What games had actual good factions?

I've never gotten into any CIV game but I know that people with an appreciation for history can squeeze a lot of fun out of the window-dressing to those games, because nationalities and their leaders are such well developed characters. I'm sure a lot of historical grand strategy characterization is doing a lot for its audience.
Alpha Centauri has fun factions. Its simple character portraits, and descriptions of who the factions are, makes me want to play every one of them.
Heroes of Might and Might 3 too, I think perhaps best of all of them in terms of quality art and music.

Last edited:

oldbonebrown

Arcane
The feck are you people talking about. Can you point me to modern 4X games with better faction design and art? My wallet is ready.
Show me any post 2010 strategy game that can compete with the greats that came before it in characterization.
Modern games are not good at this. Most don't even rise to the decent art that is found in Endless Legend.
Perhaps that is partially why the genre is a little bit dead outside of CIV and multiplayer.

In modern games even great identities of history are losing their distinction when you are playing through human history.
Yes the art in HUMXNKIND is not bad, but it does not look like it is going to have any good vision behind its universe that would make you invested in your team identity.
And I'm probably going to play it quite a bit, because I hope it will be at least as decent (but lacking) of a game as Endless Legend is. Maybe if the stars align there will be a mod that puts Nazis in it.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You were talking about Endless games. I really don't think races with as much unique mechanics and art/lore were a standard in 4X, either pre- or post-2010.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Show me any post 2010 strategy game that can compete with the greats that came before it in characterization.
Modern games are not good at this. Most don't even rise to the decent art that is found in Endless Legend.
Perhaps that is partially why the genre is a little bit dead outside of CIV and multiplayer.

In modern games even great identities of history are losing their distinction when you are playing through human history.
Yes the art in HUMXNKIND is not bad, but it does not look like it is going to have any good vision behind its universe that would make you invested in your team identity.
And I'm probably going to play it quite a bit, because I hope it will be at least as decent (but lacking) of a game as Endless Legend is. Maybe if the stars align there will be a mod that puts Nazis in it.

Endless Legend is as close to a SMAC sequel that we can get in CURRENT_YEAR.

Nevermind art, the factions are hugely different. In all the Endless games but especially ES2 and EL. It changes your whole gameplay style completely. The only thing that has nearly that much diversity in factions is probably Master of Orion 3. Just some small examples:

Vaulters with their insta-teleport.
Roving Clans can move their entire cities.
Those plant things that just consoom other colonies
The Forgotten that just spy the dick out of everything
Necrophages with their mind control?
The lava things that eat lava.

The only factions that are a bit same-y are the Vaulters and Megari, because they are literally just reskins of one another.

I'd love to see if PEOPLEKIND can manage anything close to that.

I would be interested about reviews as well if anyone has played the demo.

No one has because it was only on Stadia and only available in like 3 countries.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, there was a demo on Steam as well a month or two ago. It was alright. Played very similarly to Endless Legend. Factions followed the Civ formula of 1 unique unit, 1 unique building, 1 unique ability each. The demo was limited to specific scenarios, so it didn't give me a complete impression of how it's all gonna fit together.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, there was a demo on Steam as well a month or two ago. It was alright. Played very similarly to Endless Legend. Factions followed the Civ formula of 1 unique unit, 1 unique building, 1 unique ability each. The demo was limited to specific scenarios, so it didn't give me a complete impression of how it's all gonna fit together.

Even Civ has 2 unique units per faction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom