Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Are BG1 and BG2 too dated today?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
ce6.png

DraQ

Arcane
is there even a point in playing baldurs gate in 2020? its some fkn game for neckbeards from 2 decades ago LOL. who the fuck cares about forgotten realms nowaday LMAO. personally ive been getting into mass effect lately. you can tell that its a much more advanced modern game and it doesnt have all that clunky bs the baldurs gate had to put in there because computers back in the day couldnt emulate gunfire in realtime, like "real time with pause" (LOL cant admit your game cant handle realtime so you use hack corporate speak) and gender-restricted romance options (LOL imagine not being inclusive of gay and bisexual LGBT ppl in 2020???). i like it alot better because the graphics are 3D and every line is voice acted. so yea i agree baldurs gate is super outdated you shoud throw that shit in the trash bin man
this but unironically
Not particularly, no.

Unless you have beer, pretty lax standards and are not bothered by RTWP fuckery.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were fun to play once I got immersed in them. But I only gave it a chance because of its status of being a legendary game of the past.

DemonKing

Arcane
If you grew up with AD&D then BG1 was a bit of a revelation on release, with classic D&D monsters, spells and magic items come to life. BG2 was even more of a love letter in that regard - they managed to stuff so many classic D&D monsters and magic items into that game. I preferred the storyline in BG1 but BG2's story is ok enough.

Of course if you're coming in cold without that kind of background 20 years on they are going to seem dated (even the D&D ruleset is several iterations away from the current one). The background graphics have held up well but the characters, spell effects and so on not so much.

I mean this is a bait thread but I want to say smth on the topic of "dated games" in general:

I really hate it when ppl talk about how games have aged badly. They haven't! ppl just got used to quality of life stuff. The game that was great in 1989 is still great today if you let yourself immerse into it. I mean seriously I played so many games that are older than I am and loved the fuck out of them, anyone saying a game is dated is a decline enabler. Just adapt to the older game and learn to enjoy it.

Books aren't dated just because the language and narrative style changed, movies aren't dated just because they are in black and white and without sound and games aren't dated just because they have only a few colors or a dungeon wall tapestry for a forest texture.

And now everyone should go and play wizardry VI you faggots lol :positive:

I don't agree with this. Are there old RPGs worth playing today? Absolutely. But a lot of them HAVE aged badly as well. The UIs, the graphics, the lack of basic features (such as mapping or quick-saves or a journal), etc. This is more present with RPGs before mid-late 90s, as by 1997 or so, most major QoL features and reasonable graphics have been established.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
The game is sadly didn't have a good combat and the story is serviceable.

But if you think the beautiful art painting of the originals Baldurs Gate is bad compared to 3D NuBaldurs Gate soft reboot. I got something to say for you.

Degenerate like you belong to the cross.

Lurker47

Savant
Only in terms of combat. Turn-based combat is timeless with lots of room for experimentation. I can't imagine an actually good RTWP combat system that wouldn't need the micromanagement and reaction speeds of a South Korean.

That's funny. I'm now old enough (over 50) that I am noticeably worse at FPS games, even though I'm in better physical shape than I've been in decades. But I have no problems with RTwP games like BG1+2 and IWD, except as always for the worst clusterfucks with lots of units using magic and special abilities.
As long as you can pause the games they are in practice closer to TB than RT, and you don't need good reaction speed. It's more a question of keeping track.
That's why I said "good system", not anything that actually exists.

is there even a point in playing baldurs gate in 2020? its some fkn game for neckbeards from 2 decades ago LOL. who the fuck cares about forgotten realms nowaday LMAO. personally ive been getting into mass effect lately. you can tell that its a much more advanced modern game and it doesnt have all that clunky bs the baldurs gate had to put in there because computers back in the day couldnt emulate gunfire in realtime, like "real time with pause" (LOL cant admit your game cant handle realtime so you use hack corporate speak) and gender-restricted romance options (LOL imagine not being inclusive of gay and bisexual LGBT ppl in 2020???). i like it alot better because the graphics are 3D and every line is voice acted. so yea i agree baldurs gate is super outdated you shoud throw that shit in the trash bin man
this but unironically
Not particularly, no.

Unless you have beer, pretty lax standards and are not bothered by RTWP fuckery.

Ive seen this sentiment quite a bit here. What’s wrong with RTWP?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bait aside, BG 1 and 2 unironically ages better than DnD based game after that.

The beautiful thing with BG 1 and 2 is the fact that the visual and gameplay holds up to modern standard (in Indie/AA studio kind of way). Later games like NvWN 1 and 2 or any other mid-2000s 3D CRPG ended up having crappy 3D feeling about them.

But not BG and IWD.

Codex Year of the Donut

The beautiful thing with BG 1 and 2 is the fact that the visual and gameplay holds up to modern standard (in Indie/AA studio kind of way). Later games like NvWN 1 and 2 or any other mid-2000s 3D CRPG ended up having crappy 3D feeling about them.

But not BG and IWD.
ToEE and KotC aged better.
Also, BG visuals were always pretty meh. It was IWD 1 & 2 with the pretty visuals.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

But not BG and IWD.
Also, BG visuals were always pretty meh. It was IWD 1 & 2 with the pretty visuals.

I agree that ToEE ages well.

KotC is released in 2009 dude, it ages well sure, but it is not that old to begin with compared to BG/IWD. And instead of a game made by a full studio, KotC has always been an indie by Pierre.

BG visuals ages well != spectacular. They are not special sure, but they age well enough to be playable today due to choice of perspective (isometric with pre-rendered background). They definitely age better than the clunky 3D of other games from early to mid 2000 visually.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
They definitely age better than the clunky 3D of other games from early to mid 2000 visually.
It really depends on the game.
NWN was ugly and outdated on release. KotOR looked good on release, still looks pretty good now.

I would argue that BG 1 and 2 ages better than KotOR. Like yeah KotOR is acceptable but you can really feel the age on them. BG besides the clunky traced portrait of BG 1 is completely acceptable on today standard, albeit on Indie/AA level. Game with visual like KotOR (especially on normal gameplay, discounting some of the in-game cutscenes KotOR has) is probably 3D shovelware level by today standard.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I mean this is a bait thread but I want to say smth on the topic of "dated games" in general:

I really hate it when ppl talk about how games have aged badly. They haven't! ppl just got used to quality of life stuff. The game that was great in 1989 is still great today if you let yourself immerse into it. I mean seriously I played so many games that are older than I am and loved the fuck out of them, anyone saying a game is dated is a decline enabler. Just adapt to the older game and learn to enjoy it.

Books aren't dated just because the language and narrative style changed, movies aren't dated just because they are in black and white and without sound and games aren't dated just because they have only a few colors or a dungeon wall tapestry for a forest texture.

And now everyone should go and play wizardry VI you faggots lol :positive:

I agree, Scrooge. Wow, Scrooge, you're so smart and cool and awesome. Haha.

...So anyways, yeah. Just wanted to, uh, tell you that. Haha... keep being you, Scrooge!

(idiot, idiot! now she's going to think you're a dweeb. man... do something, and quick.)

Hey, uh, Scrooge? I was just wondering if it's okay with you could I, uh, put this post of yours on my wall? It's for inspiration! You inspire me, Scrooge.

catches a whiff of her perfume and hurries off excitedly.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

But not BG and IWD.
Baldur's Gate 1 had good visuals, albeit repetitive. BG2 generally has great visuals. You might prefer IWD art, but BG is by no means ugly.

Falksi

Arcane
Been a few years since I played either, but last time I thought both held up great as games in every aspect apart from the pathfinding, micromanagement & rest system.

Pathfinding was the main cunter. That had me want to quit a few times. The other two annoyed, but weren't deal-breakers at all.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Lol don't be a retard.

BG visuals were fucking lit when it came out. No shit they were able to build on that later on but come on.

The game being a technical marvel when it came out is part of the reason for its success.

The biggest problem with either games is that the writing is kinda shit all though it's not entirely terrible i guess. Either way, it's nothing modern gaymes can boast to have improved upon so anybody who says the old games have been rendered irrelevant by the nu-shit is a retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom