Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Alex

Arcane
I stopped playing with Stone Soup by the time they started slashing features (races, spells, branches, etc). Is there any version that reintroduced the removed stuff?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Doesn't internet archive/wayback machine have some older versions like Linley's Dungeon Crawl?

Alex

Arcane
Well, it is a github project. I could always just go for an old release. I was wondering if anyone had done something to restore content while adding new stuff.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
You are too large for most types of armour.
You have claws for hands.
Your natural rate of healing is unusually fast.
You are covered in fur. (AC +1)
You have extremely tough skin. (AC +3)
You have a pair of antennae on your head.
You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field. (EV +3)
You are partially covered in yellow scales. (AC +2)
You tend to lose your temper in combat.
Your flesh is cold resistant. (rC+)
You are robust. (+10% HP)
You occasionally shout uncontrollably at your foes.
Your translucent skin slightly reduces your foes' accuracy. (Stealth)
You are covered in slimy tendrils that may disarm your opponents.

ALL HAIL JIYVA
gratz, you've got a shitty troll xD

They recently slashed food and hunger. :lol:
this cant be real, jewgling right now!
edit
wooow

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
https://kyace.itch.io/shadow-ledger
CYMslbm.png

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Other news - I finally won Insane in ToME4, with my own build for Psyshot, and even wrote a guide for it on dying forum lol. (aslo as every self-respecting guide writer I wrote it from the coach, in theoretical manner before I won with it XD)
Defeated everyone in post-game I could access except Lina.
I decided it's time to move on actually, thus - time to win.
Next and probably last goal in ToME4 - win with ghoul solipsist and be done with game.

P.S. Also it was third attempt to win Insane - first one was my wyrmic-spellcaster with mindstars, died in fight with Sweet Duo cause I aggroed them both lol, second one was Annihilator, that died in vault from reflective skin of Searing Horror minions (when I shot reflective skin wasn't there, global speed, projectile speed shenanigans).

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, and I bought Noita, also still have not played it.
Any thought about Noita?
In steam it has tag "action-roguelike" so it's probbaly belong to here? Or maybe not?

Alex

Arcane
You know, it is funny. I am not sure whether that was the reason it was named so, but the stone soup name ends up being a bit funny. Around here we have the tale of the vagabond and the stone soup. A poor traveller once arrived in a village. He told his friend he was hungry, but he didn't have any money. So his friend took a stone from the ground and told him "don't worry, we can make a good stone soup with this one". His friend looked at him confused "A stone soup? What is that?" "Oh, you will see". So he asked around the village if anyone could lend him a cauldron so he could make a stone soup. The villagers were as confused about this as the friend, so he told them "well, if you can lend the cauldron, I will be happy to show how to make the soup!" Soon they had a cauldron and wood to boil water in. He poured water in and told the villagers that the soup should have other ingredients, to make it taste better. One brought potatoes, another brought meat, another yet onions and another yet carrots. Soon everyone in the village had joined together to see what the stone soup was and everyone had contributed with something. At last, the vagabond threw the stone he found in the soup, which obviously didn't make much of a difference, but in the end the soup was enjoyed by everyone.

Anyway, my point is that the stone soup is a joint effort, but also something that has a bunch of different ingredients in it. It seems the new direction (well, it is not new anymore, hasn't been for a while) is to make a soup from actual stones and water. Although they will probably remove water sometime down the line as well.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and I bought Noita, also still have not played it.
Any thought about Noita?
In steam it has tag "action-roguelike" so it's probbaly belong to here? Or maybe not?
Play it and find out, if you already own it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
We have similiar Russain folk tale, called "Porridge/mash from an axe" (it has nothing to do with oatmeal). ))
Absolutely the same, only it's about soldier and greedy old woman who didn't want to feed soldier.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
To be completely fair, removing spell hunger isn't that bad. It makes playing casters almost enjoyable.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Caverns of Xaskazien II. Yay or nay?
I think it's amazing because it's very PnP-ish. The character system and level generation are both very good.

It may depends on what you're looking for for one precise reason. The combat part may be controversial, there's no traditional positioning like in other roguelikes, instead when you enter the same tile as an enemy then you hit it once and it hits you once too, and if you want to use a damaging spell you would use it here too, so if you're looking for the best game to cast big area fireballs and with a bar of ninja skills then you should search elsewhere. I really like the combat system anyway for other reasons but that can be unsettling. I think there's a bigger emphasis during a game on choosing the opponents you'll face or not compared with some other games.

Now regarding non-combat exploration especially, I always claim how you should make a totally different game with or without permadeath. To make it simple without permadeath you may as well make skill checks determistic, while with permadeath you sure don't want to, because rolling is one million times more fun (it's just that with possible reloads it loses some sense). I think that skill checks is a reason why you would make a game with permadeath. The thing is, I think that this game is the best when it comes to skill checks, with tons of utility skill checks which make two different characters play differently outside combat. The character system is great and very pnp-ish (classic D100) with tons of various utility skills (trap disarming, swimming, mining, history ...) and also no ninja stuff, fighter-types have plenty of resistance and other random creation of an armor when entering a new level types of skills instead. I really love the character system. There's a deity system which works very well, you choose a god and you need to satisfy him or her (for example by killing some type of enemies but not another type) and then he or she will grant you wishes to choose from a list which depends on the chosen divinity. Pleasing a divinity (not only the one you chose) will also eventually allow you to pray to a shrine with a high chance of sucess (because failure comes with a punishment).

The spell set is great with some game changing ones (decent, passwall) and you need to find the books. Those, some other very good items makes loot exciting, while armor and weapon systems are good due to the base system.

The level generation is very good and the rare handcrafted levels are great. There are tons of magic pools, shrines, traps and other events which acknowledges your character stats and skills. This part really puts most games to shame. A game really feels like a PnP expedition. It's the reason why you should play the game. If you like passing skill checks, playing with risks and rewards and thinking about odds the game is a delight.

The game also has ton of content and tons of different ways to build characters, it's very pleasant to replay a lot at very least until you win.

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
So, what's your opinion in that brand-new "Rogue" game on Steam?

As far as I know, the only commercial release of Rogue was "Epyx Rogue 1.45" in 1984:

060304.jpg

The steam Version is Epyx Rogue 1.49 (no idea what the difference is).

If someone wants to play rogue, he can download many versions here:
https://britzl.github.io/roguearchive

Or if you don't want ASCII, there's a version with oryx tiles:
https://www.oryxdesignlab.com/games/

Is it the true rogue-like?
Yes, it is.
"Rogue is like Rogue" is logically true. As is "chicken tastes like chicken" ;)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Epyx released multiple ports of Rogue commercially, including an Amiga port in 1986:

260751-rogue-amiga-screenshot-title-screen.png
260753-rogue-amiga-screenshot-better-than-ascii.png

260754-rogue-amiga-screenshot-nice-menu.png
260755-rogue-amiga-screenshot-fight-with-an-ice-monster.png

Also, Mastertronic later released Rogue in Western Europe for various systems, including Commodore 64, Amstrad ZPC, and ZX Spectrum, all with some variation of this cover art:

210762-rogue-dos-front-cover.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom