Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

V_K

Arcane
Well, you named them after strong drinks, no wonder they're acting drunk.

Dwarf uses Intimidate
It's super effective

Last-One-Was-Uncalled-For.gif
Yeah, I see what you mean now, Grog alone doesn't cut it. You should have named him Molly.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Flying made it into the game, obviously.

My Journal progress stopped advancing during the undead castle so although I beat the wizard, I can't go any further. Is there much of the EA left after that? Because I would have to restart from a pretty old save.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have to admit I am impressed that devs managed to create the most generic boring fantasy world I have seen in a long time. It reminds me of NWN modules and russian RPGs from the early 200s.

Solasta seems to be great DnD simulator but an average CRPG.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

They are still early in development hopefully they switch gears soon as they seem to have a rock solid engine. Wasting dev cycles on things like flight which is limited on an isometric view and becomes game breaking if you let it get too out of hand is a bad idea. Use that time/energy towards developing a compelling story & characters with good C&C. I know one of the developers lurks here and even on the Steam page they say they will be steering development based on feedback so hopefully this moves in the right direction by release.

Thonius

Arcane

They are still early in development hopefully they switch gears soon as they seem to have a rock solid engine. Wasting dev cycles on things like flight which is limited on an isometric view and becomes game breaking if you let it get too out of hand is a bad idea. Use that time/energy towards developing a compelling story & characters with good C&C. I know one of the developers lurks here and even on the Steam page they say they will be steering development based on feedback so hopefully this moves in the right direction by release.
What? Map is fully 3D you can rotate and go up and down on z levels. It's not waste of time same as spiderwalk.

Yeah game very much reminds me of TOEE great combat, okay story and shit.

Oh I they really should toss some post effects. Colors in main city - grey. Color palette not saturated at all, depressing.

V_K

Arcane
For people who can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes to read the relevant kickstarter update:

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

The Early Access version of Solasta includes Act 1 and a teensy bit of Act 2 – which should be more than 10h of content to go through. Every ancestry, class and archetype is unlocked during Early Access, with the maximum level capped to 6. We believe that it is very important for players to reach level 5, as many archetypes start shining around this stage: 2nd attack for martial classes, access to powerful AoE spells, stronger cantrips... It is a very different experience from the early levels, and can affect the balance of later encounters drastically.

The release version of Solasta will include Act 2 and Act 3 in full, as well as adding many side quests such as the Legendary Monster Hunt from our Kickstarter stretch goals, or the characters’ background quests. It will also unlock access to additional locations to explore – and of course plenty of loot to boot. It will also bring party up to level 10! As a whole, Solasta should take around 40h to complete, although that number may very well vary depending on the difficulty level.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Version 0.2.7 Hotfix
Hey there folks!

It's time for the 1st hotfix patch. We're furiously scribing down your bug reports in our Great Book of Grudges - wait, wrong game - I mean in our Great Book of Bugs. Be assured that we're working on making sure that the Early Access version is as stable as it can before we start heading back to working on completing the game! Anyway, here's the patch content - we're planning a meatier one hopefully next week (or the week after that).

This patch does NOT break save games. Game away!

Important: We're seeing a small amount of people who can't launch the game. If that's your case, make sure you go to your Steam Library and right click Solasta => Properties => Local Files Tab => Verify Integrity of Game Files. This should fix the issue!
  • Monsters will no longer slap you when you spam click while paralyzed. Yes, that could happen

• Added some rations to find in existing levels - we may adjust this in the future, but for now we don't want make it too punishing for new players who're having trouble managing their food as we don't have difficulty options.

• Removed a random text bubble appearing in the garden of Caer Lem - no, you are not supposed to converse with grass.

• Casting the Light Cantrip while selecting targets with another spell will no longer allow you to cast both Light and the other spell in the same turn. No Larry that's not a feature, you're just cheating.

• Failing to scribe a scroll no longer adds the spell to the spellbook. STOP CHEATING LARRY, I CAN SEE YOU FAILED YOUR ARCANE CHECK.

• Feats which modify your ability scores should now properly... well, modify your ability scores (duh).

• Fixed Bestiary Lighting, because monsters deserved to be seen at their best too.

• Fixed a bunch of Lighting issues when fighting in Dim Light exterior (during dawn / dusk) and when fighting under Darkness or Fog Cloud spells. Take that, disadvantage rolls!

• Fixed a few missing Chinese Characters. 不好意思 !

• Fixed a bunch of rare crashes that hopefully you'll never get to see now. No, you can't know what they were - what's behind the DM screen stays behind the DM screen.

• Some localization texts are still missing in French / German / Chinese. We're hunting them down and we're planning a fix in next week's patch!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just bought this and just play it for a bit but I am liking this quite a bit.

The UI is not as terrible as people making it out to be. I wish there are a way to use shortcuts instead of having to click power/spell everytime tho. I guess a more stylized UI would be better instead of this simplistic modern bullshit.

I really like the personality system. My biggest gripe with full party creation game is usually the fact that the party is a blob lacking in personality. Solasta try to do what Wizardy 8 did but just more I guess? By giving personality, background etc playing a big part of the core party falvor.

Full VA is a waste. The party so far has decent enough delivery but the NPC are terrible to tolerable at most. I think they can really benefit from saving cost on this front as the quality is not really good enough to justify the full VA.

Dialogue being cutscene esque is annoying, yes I can skip it by pressing space, but guys, you are not Bioware nor do you have their budget. The fact that full VA quality is questionable makes this even worse. The graphics doesn't help either.

Combat is fun. The verticality gimmick is actually rather fun with flying enemies, melee unit need to find way to hit flying enemies, knocking enemies down the ledge, etc.

System wise it feels rather barebone but I guess this is 5e issue.

Certainly not a masterpiece or anything but a solid if flawed experience so far.

Ulysa

Scholar
So far I'm having fun with this and I don't even like TB that much. The character models are atrocious, the story is the most generic one... and I'm still enjoying this.

First of all, I freaking loved the character creation. It was clean and fun. Is this the same rules that BG3? I can't believe it.
Second, I adore how the characters you create come to life with the flags and backgrounds.
Third, the sense of camaderie and adventure. And a small beginning according to your level.

It looks like a very basic game but it's aware of it, it won't hide it with pretentious edgy over the top elements, so kudos for that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So far I'm having fun with this and I don't even like TB that much. The character models are atrocious, the story is the most generic one... and I'm still enjoying this.
The beginning of the story is hilarious.

"Oh my god, these legendary mythical creatures that nobody actually believe exist are attacking us! Let's kill tens of them and not take a single piece of evidence that they are real!"

I really like systems that let you enjoy character building but still find a way to add relevant origin stories and personality to them. D:OS2’s method wasn’t perfect but I liked it better than nothing. Deadfire’s approach was kind of nice, too, although it offered quite a bit less flexibility.

Anyways, excited to see more innovation on this stuff for party based rpgs

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The beginning of the story is hilarious.

"Oh my god, these legendary mythical creatures that nobody actually believe exist are attacking us! Let's kill tens of them and not take a single piece of evidence that they are real!"
Season 7 Game of Thrones, basically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom